• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying Brighton <> Crewe Southern/WMT only - how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aye2beeviasea

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2017
Messages
122
Hello, I need to travel Brighton to Gatley next week.

I can go off peak, need flexibility on which trains to take, but don't mind taking longer if there's a saving.

Off peak return via Virgin is £110.10. But I know there's a Brighton to Crewe (Southern/WMT only) off peak return at £52.20 and Crewe to Gatley off peak return at £17.80.

But how do I actually buy the Brighton-Crewe ticket?

I can't get Southern, WMT or any other TOC site to show it. Even if I click the option to show cheaper slower fares on say the WMT site it does list that ticket, but clicking the 'Check for trains' returns N/A.

If I go via National Rail enquiries, click Other cheap fares, it claims that there are no cheaper tickets than the £110.10 even if I search with off peak times that should be valid. The 'Cheapest Fare Finder' does find the ticket, if I open the search criteria to all day. But when I click the link to buy then regardless of which TOC I choose the £52.20 ticket isn't offered.

Can anyone explain why, and how I can actually buy this ticket?

Thank you.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2016
Messages
4,416
On the Soutthernrailway.com and TrainGenius.com websites I could force it to appear if I put in a via of Northampton. This forced it to use WMT, otherwise it kept using VT (even when I put in "via Kensington Olympia"). You can buy the other ticket at either of those sites too. Enjoy.
 

M28361M

Member
Joined
15 May 2014
Messages
684
Location
Liverpool
Try a TOC that uses the WebTIS "Mixing Deck". Transpennine Express is the one I use. On the fare matrix, under the "show slower routes" option, you should be able to tick a box to show ONLY the Southern/WMT fares.

Failing that, as both fares are walk-up fares, you can simply buy from a ticket office on the day.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
When?

tickets.tpexpress.co.uk will sell it for tomorrow, specifying Southern & WMT Only under ‘show me’ then ‘show slower routes’.

And by the way don’t buy a Crewe - Gatley return. Buy a Longport - Gatley return as it’s slightly cheaper and valid through Crewe.
 

aye2beeviasea

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2017
Messages
122
Thanks @M28361M and @Merseysider - yes, I can find the ticket on Transpennine's site - and thanks for those instructions, it's not easy to spot otherwise :)

And thank you too for the Longport tip :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top