• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying a 7 day ticket for the following week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye448

Member
Joined
18 Sep 2009
Messages
7
Is there a reason why 7 day tickets for Monday onwards cant be purchased until I think 4.00 the day before?

Now ive learnt how to use the ticket machines I thought I might get past the block but no, date change greyed out and unselectable.

The guards on the trains selling tickets with the machines can sell me Monday mornings new ticket on the journey home Friday afternoon but not ticket offices or machines

What is the reason for this?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
Is there not a rule that allows them to be sold on Friday afternoons when the first day of validity is a Monday?
 

87015

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2006
Messages
5,078
Location
GEML/WCML/SR
Because a start date is not encoded on them, so it'll work the barriers from whenever it is issued.

Which is top stuff for effing 8-)
 
Joined
6 Jan 2011
Messages
91
If there is no break of continuity ie: Your current ticket expires on the Sunday (last day of validity) and the start date of the new ticket is Monday, then the manual states the ticket can be issued from noon on the previous Friday.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Most TOCs (I can't say for all) will sell you a weekly renewal on Friday afternoon, to start on the Monday (or Tuesday if it's a Bank Holiday weekend), provided there is no gap between the tickets.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
We can't sell them on-board for the next day (to prevent them being used for that days journey)- which can be a bummer sometimes! :cry:
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
We can't sell them on-board for the next day (to prevent them being used for that days journey)- which can be a bummer sometimes! :cry:

I think it is still possible - go into the tertiary menu screen, select season enquiry & advance the date forward. Check that the pax has a season valid up to the day before the new one starts, withdraw that one, and issue new season.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
I think it is still possible - go into the tertiary menu screen, select season enquiry & advance the date forward. Check that the pax has a season valid up to the day before the new one starts, withdraw that one, and issue new season.
I'll try to remember that, thanks ;)
 

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2009
Messages
2,748
I think it is still possible - go into the tertiary menu screen, select season enquiry & advance the date forward. Check that the pax has a season valid up to the day before the new one starts, withdraw that one, and issue new season.

Yes, I use that method regularly. I can do a good line in renewals on evening trains sometimes. The Passengers like it as it saves them time at the booking office. As I say to them, might as well do it whilst moving and save time when you aren't!

 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top