• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buxton to Great Yarmouth Ticket Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2006
Messages
6,015
Okay, my friend is asking ticket advice from me, and I'm no good with tickets.
So...

Buxton > Manchester Piccadilly > Norwich > Great Yarmouth
On the 24th October. Leaving Buxton at approx 0830ish.
Returning on the 28th. of October. Leaving Great Yarmouth approx 1400ish.

Cheers in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
I may re-do this when I get home from work, but basicially(assuming this is for your friend(s) ,without a PRIV):

Get Buxton to Manchester Saver- £12.40 Saver

Manchester Picc to Norwich- £20 each way CT Value singles without r/c

Norwich to Great Yarmouth- Annoyingly no service on the Sunday at the moment? £5 SDS each way?

As i say, i've not looked up specific times, as I've not much time, but the main idea is seperately booking CT singles in advance, if you have the ability to do so.

£62.40 return in advance is quite expensive for this SC return, so it can hopefully be beaten.

As I have no personal knowledge of the Norwich/Great Yarmouth services, I can't personally give alternatives.

---Hope this helps---
 
T

Tom

Guest
Just off the top of my head - you may well be able to do Buxton to London thence onto Norwich and Great Yarmouth - may work out cheaper too depending on availability of Virgin Value advance singles and those cheapo 'one' AP...
 

Gizmogle

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2006
Messages
6,015
Hmmm, see, if I was doing the journey, that would definately be my option.
But these people should not be trusted anywhere near underground trains.
Plus I think it does take longer...
 
T

Tom

Guest
Journey times wise ... it's very marginal:

From Buxton to Great Yarmouth via LONDON departure at 09:00 on 24 Oct Wednesday

departure 10:32 arrival 17:13 traveltime 6:41 with 4 changes. T T TU T T
Buxton 10:32 Train 2N93 Northe First Standa Blackpool North
Stockport 11:18
Stockport 11:23 Train 1A44 Virgin Cold B First Reservations Possible London Euston
London Euston 13:28
London Euston Walk 0:09
Euston Square LT Undgrd 14:10 2 Underg Metrop London Aldgat
Liverpool Street LT Undgrd 14:22 1
Liverpool Street LT Undgrd Walk 0:07
London Liverpool Street 14:30 Train 1P36 One Restau First Reservations Possible Norwich
Norwich 16:27
Norwich 16:40 Train 2P24 One Standa Great
Great Yarmouth 17:13

The other way around is also about the same time.

On the return, very different:

From Great Yarmouth to buxton via LONDON departure at 10:30 on 28 Oct Sunday

departure 10:18 arrival 19:53 traveltime 9:35 with 6 changes. T T B T TU T T
Great Yarmouth 10:18 Train 2C03 One Standa Norwic
Norwich 10:57
Norwich 11:15 Train 1K73 One First Cambri
Cambridge 12:41
Cambridge 13:00 Bus 0B00 Replac Roysto
Royston 13:30
Royston 13:43 Train 1C75 First First London
Finsbury Park 14:21
Finsbury Park Walk 0:07
Finsbury Park LT Undgrd 14:29 4 Underg Victri London Brixto
Euston LT Undgrd 14:38 5
Euston LT Undgrd Walk 0:07
London Euston 15:05 Train 1H23 Virgin Cold B First Reservations Possible Manchester Piccadilly
Stockport 18:32
Stockport 19:05 Train 2H90 Northe First Standa Buxton
Buxton 19:53

From Great Yarmouth to buxton departure at 10:30 on 28 Oct Sunday

departure 11:22 arrival 17:53 traveltime 6:31 with 5 changes. T T T T T T
Great Yarmouth 11:22 Train 2P05 One Standa Norwic
Norwich 11:56
Norwich 12:15 Train 1K77 One First Cambri
Ely 13:17
Ely 13:27 Train 1E42 Centra Standa Peterb
Peterborough 14:06
Peterborough 14:18 Train 1F24 Great Cold B Trolle First and Standard Class Reservations Essential Aberdeen
Doncaster 15:10
Doncaster 15:42 Train 1B83 Trans First Reserv Manchester Airport
Stockport 16:56
Stockport 17:05 Train 2H96 Northe First Standa Buxton
Buxton 17:53

I'll edit this post in a bit with fare details...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Okay fares ... try this - I haven't checked availability at all.

Buxton - Sheffield SVR £17.90 - valid any train
Sheffield - Peterbo SVR £37.80 - valid any train after 0900
Peterbo - Gt Yarmth SVR £18.00 - valid any train after 0900
Total cost £73.70 but gives you the flexibility of trains...

Those are adult fares with no RCD - with RCD they'd work out to (assuming YNG)...

BUX - SHF £11.80, SHF - PBO £24.95, PBO - GYM £11.90 - £48.65.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
Hmmm, see, if I was doing the journey, that would definately be my option.
But these people should not be trusted anywhere near underground trains.
Plus I think it does take longer...

I apologise if my advice wasn't very good, and any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Anway.. I personally tend to avoid London, due to the reason why you stated yourself- The Underground- I don't like it.

That's why I thought it would be better to go by CT, even though I know it's no where near as good as a FC Pendo :) (I dunno what SC is like though..)
 

Gizmogle

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2006
Messages
6,015
Wow, cheers Tom.

London really isn't a good idea for these people though.
I personally don't mind the underground, but they'll end up on the other side of the network.
 

class 313

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2005
Messages
6,475
Location
St Albans
Wow, cheers Tom.

London really isn't a good idea for these people though.
I personally don't mind the underground, but they'll end up on the other side of the network.

its 4 stops East Bound, how can you get lost?
 
T

Tom

Guest
its 4 stops East Bound, how can you get lost?

By losing your sense of direction?

I know someone who managed to do...

Kentish Town - Euston (had to change for Charing X branch!) - Angel - Euston - Angel - Euston - London Bridge via Bank - Waterloo
 

Gizmogle

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2006
Messages
6,015
its 4 stops East Bound, how can you get lost?

Easily if you don't know which line it is. Which way it is to get to that line. If it's N, S, E or W.
If you're new to the underground, it's easy to get lost.
 

class 313

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2005
Messages
6,475
Location
St Albans
Easily if you don't know which line it is. Which way it is to get to that line. If it's N, S, E or W.
If you're new to the underground, it's easy to get lost.

There's only two directions at London Liverpool St. East and West and everything is sign posted. Designed so even foreigners don't get lost.

Also you would know what line it is before you travel!
 

Nick W

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2005
Messages
1,436
Location
Cambridge
I admit that despite using the LU as early as age 12 on my own, I have managed to go the wrong way on 2 seperate occasions and board a H&C instead of a circle and end up at aldgate east..
 

Gizmogle

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2006
Messages
6,015
Hahaha, yeah, I still have my random moments where I go the wrong way or down the wrong branch on the Northern line.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Take a 205 bus from stop D outside Euston Station every 7 mins, journeytime about 30 mins.
Stop s coming back from Liverpool Street (out of the station turn right, turn right again)
via London is much better than cross country on central.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,432
Location
Yorkshire
Buxton - Sheffield SVR £17.90 - valid any train
Sheffield - Peterbo SVR £37.80 - valid any train after 0900
Peterbo - Gt Yarmth SVR £18.00 - valid any train after 0900
Total cost £73.70 but gives you the flexibility of trains...

Those are adult fares with no RCD - with RCD they'd work out to (assuming YNG)...

BUX - SHF £11.80, SHF - PBO £24.95, PBO - GYM £11.90 - £48.65.
bux-not £31.10
not-PBO £18.80
PBO-GYM £18.00
total £67.90
(non railcard, deduct 34% for Y-P)

but then you are forcing yourself to use the world's worst TOC.:?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top