• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Butts left Fuming at Haymarket Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
7 Jan 2010
Messages
254
Well that's interesting.

I'm sure they would be trying to ban "sweet cigarettes" if they still existed :p

At FGW we all had an email saying that e-cigs were banned. About a month later, we received another email stating that they could not ban them as they legally couldn't.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
I get very unhappy when TOCs wrong me.

Unfortunately, I usually get more unhappy when I encounter inconsiderate smokers. I'm not suggesting that you were being at all inconsiderate, but I'm finding it difficult to sympathise with you on this one.

Best of luck with it though! It's not like there's a shortage of people in the industry who are less than fully competent in the matter at hand but refuse to back down.
 
Joined
7 Jan 2010
Messages
254
I get very unhappy when TOCs wrong me.

Unfortunately, I usually get more unhappy when I encounter inconsiderate smokers. I'm not suggesting that you were being at all inconsiderate, but I'm finding it difficult to sympathise with you on this one.

Best of luck with it though! It's not like there's a shortage of people in the industry who are less than fully competent in the matter at hand but refuse to back down.

Was that directed toward me?
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
No rail company can ban e-cigarettes as it doesn't contravene the railway byelaws.

Easy enough - it's obviously safer not to use them, so banning them is a 'safety instruction'.
or their use will 'interfere with the comfort or convenience of any person on the railway'
(If Merseyrail can get away with using that for their 'feet on the seat frames' obsession, then I would say this is even less tenuous)
 
Joined
7 Jan 2010
Messages
254
Easy enough - it's obviously safer not to use them, so banning them is a 'safety instruction'.
or their use will 'interfere with the comfort or convenience of any person on the railway'
(If Merseyrail can get away with using that for their 'feet on the seat frames' obsession, then I would say this is even less tenuous)

Maybe email the MD of FGW with that thought as i'm sure he didn't want to backtrack on his original ban.

I'm a non-smoker, never have smoked, and i personally don't like people smoking e-cigs around me. Just saying how it is on my TOC
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Easy enough - it's obviously safer not to use them, so banning them is a 'safety instruction'.

Couldn't the same be said about mobile phones and ipads? Or just about anything.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
At FGW we all had an email saying that e-cigs were banned. About a month later, we received another email stating that they could not ban them as they legally couldn't.

Here is a possible byelaw that could theoretically be applicable

Except with written permission from an Operator or an authorised person, no person shall bring with him or allow to remain on the railway any item which, in the opinion of an authorised person, may threaten, annoy, soil or damage any person or any property.

I can certainly say the person using the e-cig annoyed me. It left me feeling nauseous and an irritated throat.

Obviously the opinion of two different people on whether its annoying is going to be completely different.
 
Joined
7 Jan 2010
Messages
254
Here is a possible byelaw that could theoretically be applicable



I can certainly say the person using the e-cig annoyed me. It left me feeling nauseous and an irritated throat.

Obviously the opinion of two different people on whether its annoying is going to be completely different.

I totally agree mate. I am dubious as to what the 'vape' actually contains.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Nope, I only read the first page of replies and then used the quick reply box.

It's not directed towards anyone.

Apologies
 

Class 170101

On Moderation
Joined
1 Mar 2014
Messages
8,664
Is Haymarket now covered by the sub surface regulations pertaining to smoking (Kings Cross Fire Regulations) since its re-build? I think its more covered over than it was before reconstruction.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,844
Location
Stirlingshire
When I was at Dunbar Station today I was expecting to see No Smoking Signs all over the outdoor areas of the Platform.

However there were not any :idea:

As this is an East Coast Station I was most surprised.
 

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2014
Messages
2,544
AFAIA, SWT have banned staff from using e-cigarettes as they don't know what compounds are in them, however it's forever being flouted. They do every so often have a little purge on proper ciggies on the platforms, e-cigs are fine on the platforms.

Penalty is now £80, as it is for littering & other misdemeanour's.
 

cjp

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2012
Messages
1,059
Location
In front of a computer
Well that's interesting.

I'm sure they would be trying to ban "sweet cigarettes" if they still existed :p

I think they did!:)

From Treasure Island Sweets . . .
White Candy Sticks - soft eating chewy sweets. These always used to be called candy cigarettes and have a red end. Unfortunately that no longer sits well with some people. They still taste the same and you could always add a little red food colouring to the end yourself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top