• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus to Dorking using Oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.

tannedfrog

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
537
I know there's a London bus which travelcard and Oyster PAYG holders can use to Dorking, which is well outside the train zones.

Are there any other attractive towns which fall outside the zones but which can be reached using travelcard / PAYG Oyster?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
If you like shopping then Bluewater is served by 3 bus routes from Crayford.
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,450
Hmm. Some brief (and perhaps in some cases harsh) assessments from my memory...

If you have a set of very rose-tinted spectacles, Slough still wouldn't qualify as attractive under any circumstances, really. (Feels less of a shantytown than Basildon, maybe)

I can't think of Waltham Cross (for all that it has its own Charing Cross) as anything other than a complete dump. Waltham Abbey is not much better IMHO. And as for Dartford...well you can see a school named after Mick Jagger there. Nuff said I fear. Watford or Borehamwood both leave me cold, although I'd be hard pressed to decide which of the two is the more unpleasant. St Albans is a genuinely nice and interesting town, but alas the red bus there isn't oysterable.

Debden is a complete dive. Loughton has a few historic buildings, but is utterly devoid of culture and good taste, and while it's convenient for Epping Forest (and specific bits thereof like High Beach), maybe Chingford is a better starting point. And I'm not sure that "Birds of a Feather" was wide of the mark in its illustration of Chigwell...

Staines is better than people who don't know it generally think it is, but really the best thing about it is that it is on the Thames, with some agreeable walks to other places. Potters Bar is, more or less, similar (dull suburban overspill town), but without the advantage of the river.

Brentwood is not entirely without charm (it has quite an interesting, elegant, (Catholic) cathedral that no-one from outside the town seems to be very aware of, and which, from the outside, you probably wouldn't immediately suspect had only been built 20 years ago); the town itself isn't unpleasant, either - there are a few historic things to see in the town centre and thereabouts. Definitely an increasingly "millionaire footballer" and "footballers' wife" feel about the town, though... (mind you, if you really want somewhere blingtastic just over the boundary into Essex, Buckhurst Hill is the place to go)

A village rather than a town, but Tatsfield (end of the 464 route from New Addington) is a lovely place, and a good base for walking into the North Downs too. Much nicer than Passingford Bridge, the other out-of-zones village terminus, where there is really next to nothing to see at all (the M25 maybe). The out-of-zones villages on Tfl bus routes in Thurrock (South Ockendon, Aveley) are rather charmless and unremarkable too - both of them are dominated by mini-housing estates essentially transplanted from London.

I've never been to Redhill or Westerham, although I'd wager the latter, at least, might have some pleasant things to be said about it.
 

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
If you ever think of using Route 402 from Bromley to Sevenoaks, Tonbridge or Tunbridge Wells using Oyster with a bus pass or travelcard, it's only vaild as far as Knockholt Pond for free or £1.20 with PAYG. Arriva Kent and Sussex charge their own fares from there.

However I'm sure you can travel using any form of Oyster payment on Route 409 from Croydon to East Grinstead? £1.20 seems a bargain to go there!
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
St Albans is a genuinely nice and interesting town, but alas the red bus there isn't oysterable.

I got on it at Potters Bar a couple of months ago, the bus had an Oyster reader. Possibly the only such route with Oyster but no iBus.

 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
And as for Dartford...well you can see a school named after Mick Jagger there. Nuff said I fear.

Not disagreeing that there is much to say about Dartford, but I can't let that comment rest. The Mick Jagger Centre is a hireable facility in the grounds of (and shared by) Dartford Grammar School for Boys. The school dates back to 1576.
 

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
I've been to the Mick Jagger Centre to see Midge Ure. Strangely enough, I remember seeing TfL branded bus stops outside, despite being in Kent!
 

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Joined
21 Oct 2009
Messages
3,905
However I'm sure you can travel using any form of Oyster payment on Route 409 from Croydon to East Grinstead? £1.20 seems a bargain to go there!

The 409 is not a TfL route, so Oystercards are not valid, even within London.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've never been to Redhill or Westerham, although I'd wager the latter, at least, might have some pleasant things to be said about it.

Westerham's nice (320). Redhill less so (405). Some nice countryside not too far a walk from Caterham (404, 407, 466). Nice countryside near Warlingham too (403).
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,450
MikeWh,

I stand corrected. I thought it looked a little incongruous.
 

Galvanize

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,130
Location
South East london
The 409 is not a TfL route, so Oystercards are not valid, even within London.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Westerham's nice (320). Redhill less so (405). Some nice countryside not too far a walk from Caterham (404, 407, 466). Nice countryside near Warlingham too (403).

320 goes to Biggin Hill Valley these days, rather than Westerham. Biggin Hill Valley is nothing interesting, being in the middle of a housing estate at the bottom of a valley! Its the 246 which runs to Westerham, which is rather picturesque! I've been on a few countryside walks starting from Westerham, into the North downs. On summer sundays, the 246 is extended to Chartwell House, which itself is lovely. The 246 runs past Westerham Heights, which believe it or not, is the highest point in Greater London!
 

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,896
If you ever think of using Route 402 from Bromley to Sevenoaks, Tonbridge or Tunbridge Wells using Oyster with a bus pass or travelcard, it's only vaild as far as Knockholt Pond for free or £1.20 with PAYG. Arriva Kent and Sussex charge their own fares from there.

However I'm sure you can travel using any form of Oyster payment on Route 409 from Croydon to East Grinstead? £1.20 seems a bargain to go there!

I foroget which stop it is but I think Oyster users can go from Croydon to a particular stop for a flat fare-again forget how much. When I pop into Croydon again I'll look at the timetable and post again unless someone beats me to it.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,772
Location
Yorkshire
I got on it at Potters Bar a couple of months ago, the bus had an Oyster reader. Possibly the only such route with Oyster but no iBus.


The 84 is not a TfL route so does not have iBus. There are fare agreements so Oyster is accepted Potters Bar southwards.

There's an overlap between where tou can use TfL and Hertfordshire tickets.
 

ashworth

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2008
Messages
1,285
Location
Notts
However I'm sure you can travel using any form of Oyster payment on Route 409 from Croydon to East Grinstead? £1.20 seems a bargain to go there!

I think it's been established now that Oyster cards are not valid on Route 409.

Earlier this year I was staying with friends in Croydon and had a day out by bus using that service.
To enable me to use my Oyster Card I used the Route 466 from Croydon to Caterham on the Hill and then changed to the 409 to East Grinstead. I can't remember the price but I do recall the return fare from Caterham on the Hill to East Grinstead was very high! It ended up a very expensive trip because on arrival at East Grinstead I decided to have a ride across to Tunbridge Wells which was another expensive trip. If only I had thought and planned ahead and purchased a Day Explorer Ticket. On the return journey I got off the 409 in Caterham to get the train back to East Croydon.

During my stay I also used the Route 405 from Croydon to Redhill on which the Oyster Card is valid for the whole route. In the past I have also used the 166 from Croydon to Epsom. With a walk across Epsom race Course to get the train back from Tatenham Corner this makes another good day out.

Next time I'm down there I will probably try using the Route 465 from Kingston to Dorking.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top