• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buffet and bar at Bridlington

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike57

Established Member
Joined
13 Mar 2015
Messages
2,403
Location
East coast of Yorkshire
The buffet at Bridlington is due to close on Christmas Eve. It contains a lot of railway related memorabilia as well as a lot of other things, old advertising signs for example.

This will be auctioned off by Spicers of Driffield on Feb 14th 2020 if anyone here is interested.

Mod note: not sure if this is the right place, if not please move it.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
That's a shame. Always try to call in if I can. Often very quiet sadly.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
Oh that is a real shame! It was an excellent little watering hole. Do we know the reason for it shutting down?
 

mike57

Established Member
Joined
13 Mar 2015
Messages
2,403
Location
East coast of Yorkshire
I think the problem for anyone wanting to take it over would be that it's very seasonal, and geographically not well placed to attract non rail users. This will also affect the floral displays unless someone else steps in
 

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,725
It is a shame that it's closing. They did a good pint.

Have to disagree. On the occasions I visited there was only ever one real ale on and sometimes no real ale at all. It felt more like a 1950s cafe with a token couple of handpumps stuck on the bar to make it look a bit like a pub.

That said, there's a real lack of decent pubs near Bridlington station, so paradoxically I will miss it!
 

MarkRedon

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2015
Messages
292
Two years ago, this cafe was an occasional bonus to a very enjoyable commuting experience. I was working three or four days per week in Scarborough and commuting from my home in Hull. The commute was a morning journey and an evening return. Mainly cheerful and helpful traincrew. Class 158 trains, tired but very comfortable. Almost always a table seat with plenty of workspace. No wifi, no power (apart from the occasional unit with USB sockets), true. But a return train fare so comparatively low that it would make London commuters wail at the injustice of life.

The morning trains were busy after Brid and especially Filey, but by then I had good company too. Sometimes I would have a later start, when I would take the first train going my way and perhaps break the journey in Brid to await the next train on to Scarborough. The station cafe was valuable because it's a fair walk on from the station before you can find one of Brid's many cheap'n'cheeful places to eat or drink. So I'm sorry to hear that it will be closing.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,400
Location
Yorks
Have to disagree. On the occasions I visited there was only ever one real ale on and sometimes no real ale at all. It felt more like a 1950s cafe with a token couple of handpumps stuck on the bar to make it look a bit like a pub.

That said, there's a real lack of decent pubs near Bridlington station, so paradoxically I will miss it!

I've had a couple there. I think it fell into the "keep one beer well, rather than several beers badly" category, but that was a couple of years ago.
 

Bookd

Member
Joined
27 Aug 2015
Messages
445
That is the best way of turnover is low. I have not been to this bar, but it you try to carry a range of beers that only sell in small numbers they will go off and the wastage is enormous.
 

xc170

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2008
Messages
815
This will be a real shame, been visiting for years, I'll certainly miss it.

The buffet has been on Rightmove for most of this year.
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,302
Location
South West London
Only been in there once but it was probably the best bacon sani I've had to this date and the owner was really nice.

It will be a shame.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top