• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brussels city transport advice and transport museums etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
Hello all, I'm going to Brussels soon, Eurostar and hotels booked staying for 6 days, last time I rode on an Eurostar train was from Waterloo so that's going back some years :D

As I'm interested in rail transport obviously :)

What's the best tram route to cover as much ground as possible within the city, same for urban railways, is there a travel pass that can cover both transport options as well as the buses, noticed there's no trolleybus in the city unfortunately.

Is there a historical tramcar tour you can take round the city ? Transport museum to visit ?

I can speak French fairly well and Dutch not so much, I would imagine language could be a minefield in the city, is English a widely understood neutral language in the city ?


I'm also interested in history, Belgium is a fairly young country so there should be some good museums about the country and city, can you get free entry with a tourist pass or similar.

Thanks in advance :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James H

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2014
Messages
1,549
The Brussels railway museum is called Train World. It'd worth a visit but is not as good as the Dutch museum in Utrecht.

If you register for Eurostar's loyalty scheme, you can show your card (on your phone) at Train World for a 5 euro discount.

There are also Club Eurostar discounts at the Atomium and the Design Museum
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,532
Location
Leuven
I can speak French fairly well and Dutch not so much, I would imagine language could be a minefield in the city, is English a widely understood neutral language in the city ?
Using French in Brussels shouldn't be a problem.
 

StephenHunter

Established Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
2,954
Location
London
The Brussels railway museum is called Train World. It'd worth a visit but is not as good as the Dutch museum in Utrecht.
Literally a couple of stops up the line at a place called Schaerbeek in the suburbs; the old station building is part of the museum.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,758
Location
Up North
In terms of railway interest the AM66 units are pretty much on their last legs. They're used on a smattering of Binche-Schaerbeek services on Saturdays (study this link carefully: https://beluxtrains.net/en/index.php?page=listing&action=3&number=&category=&station=&company=&vehicle=AM66/74&country=BE&days=R67&year=2024&period=)

They do see further use but far from Brussels. The link provided is also useful for checking other compositions - Series 21/27 locos are also a dying breed and the AM86 units only come out to play on weekdays.
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
I posted in the other thread you created but in terms of ticketing, just use contactless across buses trams and metro, there is a daily cap.
 

nwales58

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2022
Messages
1,365
Location
notsure
Tram museum is at Woluwe, look it up on t'internet.

Edit: irrelevant stuff deleted

For industrial history, look at erih.net if you don't already know of it.
 
Last edited:

boiledbeans2

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2020
Messages
978
Location
UK
See these 2 threads I previously started


The tram museum is more exciting than Train World, because the tram museum has a "live" part, with heritage trams parked but ready to go (e.g. for charter trips). The tram museum ticket also includes a ride on a heritage tram, which runs on the main tram lines outside the museum, following route 44. In contrast, Train World consists of static displays.
 

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2018
Messages
4,188
Hello all, I'm going to Brussels soon, Eurostar and hotels booked staying for 6 days, last time I rode on an Eurostar train was from Waterloo so that's going back some years :D

As I'm interested in rail transport obviously :)

What's the best tram route to cover as much ground as possible within the city, same for urban railways, is there a travel pass that can cover both transport options as well as the buses, noticed there's no trolleybus in the city unfortunately.

Is there a historical tramcar tour you can take round the city ? Transport museum to visit ?

I can speak French fairly well and Dutch not so much, I would imagine language could be a minefield in the city, is English a widely understood neutral language in the city ?


I'm also interested in history, Belgium is a fairly young country so there should be some good museums about the country and city, can you get free entry with a tourist pass or similar.

Thanks in advance :)
Charleroi is worth a train out for the interesting premetro system and industrial museum, if you have the time.
Brussels Tram 44 is a kind of historical tram route that dives into the countryside like an old interurban from the city centre, so quite interesting.
I'd also recommend Route 82 northbound out of Midi station, for the weird way it passes through the station on a 3-way junction at (Boulevard) Lemonnier, and then up to the canal for a nice stretch along that.
 

BahrainLad

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2015
Messages
415
Outside of trains, over the years I've been to the following

- Royal Museum of Central Africa (i.e. the Congo)
- Autoworld
- Army / Navy / Air Force museum (across the road from Autoworld in the Parc du Cinquantenaire)
- Natural History Museum

All are worth a visit and easily reachable by public transport! :D
 

Thames99

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2023
Messages
338
Location
Reading
The museum quarter up by the palace may be of interest. The main art gallery and the adjoining Magritte gallery for surrealist paintings and round the corner the musical instruments museum which is very well done in a historic building - the former Old England department store - are all worth visiting. Architects such as Horta designed many extraordinary buildings around 1900 which are worthy of a look.
 

MarcVD

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2016
Messages
1,246
You might just want to spend an hour or two - during rush hour, say between16 and 18 - on the platforms of Brussels North or South Stations and enjoy the constant parade of trains traveling through the 6 tracks that link those two stations, some 1200 of them every weekday.

For tram/metro/bus, there are day cards. If you want to sample some train travel, there is a card you can buy which is valid for 10 trips between any two belgian stations.

Be aware that tram line 44 is partially interrupted for track renewal works.
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
On my way to St Pancras today. :)

Thanks for all your info, very interesting list of things to see and do.
 

Recessio

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2019
Messages
1,544
Location
London
Also, you'll be fine with French and English. I don't speak French and I got around fine. It's a very international city due to the EU etc so you'll be understood fine.
 

StephenHunter

Established Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
2,954
Location
London
Outside of trains, over the years I've been to the following

- Royal Museum of Central Africa (i.e. the Congo)
Now renamed to AfricaMuseum after a major renovation to attempt to "decolonise" it; it was rather controversial in its former version.
 
Joined
7 Jan 2009
Messages
1,031
Brussel/Bruxelles, officially, is a bilingual city of course but the main language is French. However, English is very widely spoken. You might be OK using Dutch in places that are obviously Dutch speaking or in some of the communes (esp to the NE) where there is a higher Flemish population but otherwise it's best to use French/English in my experience..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top