• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Broken system of obtaining an eticket refund for network disruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamterry

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2019
Messages
18
Location
Hertfordshire
It all fell to pieces again near Cambridge yesterday, in between buying my ticket and getting to my local station. All trains cancelled / delayed to an unknown time.

Having a hospital appointment, meant I had to abandon my train plan and use an alternative form of transport.

I then tried to get my etickets refunded and what a woeful experience this is (and not yet obtained).
I had used the thameslink app to buy the tickets so I thought I could easily get them refunded that way - so in the app I find my ticket and see this link which leads to a broken page:
1752237246642.png1752237278141.png

If you don't use that link, below it is an option to select reason for refund, the only being unused and thus liable for a £5 charge:
1752237440623.png

Using the thameslink webpages via a browser provided no better solutions. Instead I messaged thameslink via twitter to get some clarity / help on what I should do. After a few back and forth, the answer apparently is to use that link and then once that's done, separately message the customer relations team to request the admin fee is also refunded !

I commented that this system is obviously broken for this sort of refund and perhaps I should have just bought a paper ticket and got it refunded by the ticket seller at the station. The response was, no it's not broken, "the admin fee is something we charge however can be waived in circumstances such as this" Which to me comes across as a fee we're going to keep unless you make special effort to ask separately back if you know you can do so!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
846
Location
Preston
Might be worth disputing the payment with the bank, then they'll be the ones being hit with admin fees.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,832
Doesn’t the reason for your refund request fall under disruption - you chose not to travel due to a cancellation?
 

Vexed

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2020
Messages
670
Location
Herts / Hants
Might be worth disputing the payment with the bank, then they'll be the ones being hit with admin fees.
And then Thameslink will probably ban your account as well.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Doesn’t the reason for your refund request fall under disruption - you chose not to travel due to a cancellation?
I think the OP's issue is that this isn't possible to do with an online form anymore, which I do sympathise with with.
Which to me comes across as a fee we're going to keep unless you make special effort to ask separately back if you know you can do so!
Indeed, it's not very pro-consumer to make it hard to obtain a few fee refund when you're entitled to one.
 
Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
There's no need to do a chargeback. If the website isn't dealing with the issue correctly then contact customer services.

I had a refund issue with LNER earlier this week where they erroneously charged a £5 admin fee. A call to customer services not only got this sorted but they gave me an additional £5 for the inconvenience.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,494
Location
Yorkshire
If GTR are being a pain over legitimate refunds for unused tickets during disruption, my advice would be to consider switching to the forum's ticketing site.

I've not had any issues obtaining refunds in such circumstances, but if you did experience a problem, you could ask us to escalate the matter for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top