• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Broken escalators at Birmingham New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_Brum12

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
17
Also worth remembering that as Network Rail is now subject to the Freedom of Information Act it is a huge tool for users and rail advocates, this being an excellent demonstration of how it can be used. Hopefully this will focus some minds, with the New Street escalators will being brought up to scratch once and for all.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
2,825
Location
Birmingham
Fewer people should be using the existing escalators once the station is fully open as there will be twice as many points of access to station platforms which should thin crowds out significantly, right? I'd hope this takes a lot of pressure off of individual escalators.
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
Fewer people should be using the existing escalators once the station is fully open as there will be twice as many points of access to station platforms which should thin crowds out significantly, right? I'd hope this takes a lot of pressure off of individual escalators.

I'm not sure that's correct. There are two escalators for each end of every pair of platforms now, and that's what there will be from September. NR say they only have two concourse-to-platform escalators left to install, I assume these are for 1 and/or 12.

Here's my blog anyway (warning, it's long)
https://notesfromleestravels.wordpress.com/2015/06/12/foi-escalators-at-birmingham-new-street/
 

mikestone1952

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2011
Messages
299
Here is a summary of the response to my FOI:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/escalators_at_birmingham_new_str

BHM has 22 concourse to platform escalators and 18 were in use on 24th
March 2015, the date of the request.

At present, 11th June 2015, all 22 escalators are in working order.
That was either a lie or being economical with the truth - two pairs have been boarded off for some weeks and they were changed over today with three of the "repaired" ones not working
 
Last edited:

adam9413

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2014
Messages
47
Trying to work out where are the escalators will be if there are 22.
There are 5 pairs of platforms plus 2 outer platforms. There can't be an equal amount for each island/outer platform then? E.g. On platform 4/5 I see 2 pairs of escalators, so for the islands, 5x4=20?

Also, given that barriers appear to be going in near the upper B platforms, how many sets of barriers will be needed? I presume the Navigation Street bridge will have them.
 
Last edited:

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
Just one on each of p1 and p12.
Presumably four sets from the main concourse (which includes one point not currently accessible, and one on Navigation Street although that access especially to p1 is temporary at present so may need to close again to have work done)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was interviewed for BBC Radio 4's File on 4 programme at BHM today about the escalators, the programme goes out on 7 July.
 

40907

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2014
Messages
53
Without starting a new topic, can I just add that that the station staff at New Street are unfailingly helpful, particularly so when you consider the difficult circumstances in which they are working. It would drive me mad if I had to spend all day there!!

Last week I transited through New Street and needed to change platforms from where my Hereford train had arrived, to platform 7a for a northbound XC service to Derby. One escalator was out of use, not broken I think, but rather oou as part of the rebuild, and a queue was forming at the lift from the concourse to platform 7. Station staff were using their initiative by taking groups of the "able bodied" passengers down an escalator, then directing us to what I think is a new footbridge at the very northern end of the station. Up and down twice, and hey presto arriving on platform 7 !!

I was getting worried that arriving at 11-09 from Hereford, and departing at 11-30 to the north was looking tight given the distance needed to change platforms, and seek out the toilets, but with this most helpful intervention from the staff I made it with a couple of minutes to spare.

(One issue I have, is the dreadfully inadequate provision of toilets at new Street, hopefully this will change on completion of the rebuild)

However, otherwise, well done to all the staff concerned in such difficult circumstances!

40907
 
Joined
29 Aug 2012
Messages
472
Today I changed at New Street. At least two separate sets of platform escalators are boarded off (both up and down). Presumably they are having the promised upgrade (to working order). As far as I can tell the only access to these platforms is the lifts (very small) and the stairs to the Navigation Street bridge. Not fun at peak times I would imagine. All the money that is being spent, even when it is finished and everything is in working order, I wonder if access to the platforms will still be a problem.
 
Joined
21 May 2014
Messages
980
As far as I can tell the only access to these platforms is the lifts (very small) and the stairs to the Navigation Street bridge. Not fun at peak times I would imagine.

And the escalator at the A end. I think it's only the B end ones they're working on. The station is it stands is definitely not fun at peak times. Sometimes I need a post-work beer before I can even face it.

The Navigation Street Bridge is definitely the way to go when entering the station at busy times at the moment. Much calmer.

All the money that is being spent, even when it is finished and everything is in working order, I wonder if access to the platforms will still be a problem.

I strongly suspect it will. But I hope to stand corrected.
 

BHXDMT

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2011
Messages
278
Location
England
Today I changed at New Street. At least two separate sets of platform escalators are boarded off (both up and down). Presumably they are having the promised upgrade (to working order).

They are closed to receive the final works to cladding, walls, glass partitions etc before the station fully re-opens in September, so that they eventually look like this:

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailBHM/status/612575147611004929


No idea if the replacement of escalator parts is happening at the same time, or if it's already happened.

As far as I can tell the only access to these platforms is the lifts (very small) and the stairs to the Navigation Street bridge. Not fun at peak times I would imagine.

Access to platforms which have no B end escalators due to these works is via A end escalators or Navigation Street footbridge, in addition to the lift at the B end.

All the money that is being spent, even when it is finished and everything is in working order, I wonder if access to the platforms will still be a problem.

Additional lifts at the A end are supposedly being installed (they will also be much bigger than current B end lifts), stairs at the A end are in place and being completed and will be open in September, in addition to the B end lifts, escalators, and Naviagtion Street footbridge already in place... so (hopefully) much improved.
 
Last edited:
Joined
29 Aug 2012
Messages
472
That is good to know. I thought on of the objectives was for passengers to spend more time waiting at the extended concourse level rather than the restricted size platform level. That is dependant on passengers believing they can get down and on to their trains in a reasonable time.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
The B end lifts are totally unfit for purpose in terms of size. Do any of the A end ones use the old shafts that held lifts pre rebuild or have all these been demolished?
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
That is good to know. I thought on of the objectives was for passengers to spend more time waiting at the extended concourse level rather than the restricted size platform level. That is dependant on passengers believing they can get down and on to their trains in a reasonable time.


If that's the case then don't display the platform number so early.

That said, there was an experiment one day where they didn't show a platform until a train had actually arrived, and it caused a lot of crowding around the boards on the concourse.

So you can't win really.


While we're here, this week's File on 4 will be interesting listening:

Works behind schedule; costs going up; an inquiry into poor performance announced by the industry regulator. It's a depressingly familiar story on our railways. From brand new station escalators at a standstill in Birmingham, to only 10 per cent of trains on time at one of London's busiest stations, even the Chancellor's planned Northern Powerhouse is threatened as line upgrades between Manchester and York are delayed.
Allan Urry investigates Network Rail's woes as pressure mounts to deliver £24 billion of infrastructure improvements.
Reporter: Allan Urry Producer: Rob Cave.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b060zvnd
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top