• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Broadband change of ISP - your thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjp

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2012
Messages
1,059
Location
In front of a computer
I am going to jump ship having looked at the Internet bandwidth thread and poll.
Presently with BE @ £14pm for 4mb download speed. (BE have now been bought out by Sky and I am fed of it being unreliable of late.)
PlusNet Fibre @ £22.49 for 50mb seems the way to go.
Anyone here recommend Plusnet for fibre and can comment on their support / reliability?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Have you checked that it's available where you live, at that speed?

PlusNet are now wholly owned by BT.
 

cjp

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2012
Messages
1,059
Location
In front of a computer
Have you checked that it's available where you live, at that speed?

PlusNet are now wholly owned by BT.

Both Plusnet and BT Infinity are saying yes about the speed but I did not know BT had bought Plusnet which is worrying. I may rethink . . . :(

BT required I take a line from them but Plusnet seem OK with my staying my present (cheaper) Telco which was an important difference to me.
 

michael769

Established Member
Joined
9 Oct 2005
Messages
2,008
PlusNet is owned by but it is operated completely independently and has its own UK (Sheffield) based customer support .

It has a reputation for offering pretty good support, but they make no secert of the fact that they run Traffic Shaping.

Regardless of who you choose as your provider the fibre service will be exactly the same BT Openreach product, so you will get the same top rate speed/reliability regardless. All that changes is Customer Support, traffic management policies, and backhaul congestion.
 
Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,892
Location
South Wales
I currently have unlimited broadband with Plusnet which had one or two issue's the 1st day I switched over but now it is up and running it is brilliant I do reconmend it.

However I most certainly will never reconmend talk-talk to anyone after the problems my parents had with their very poor customer services
 

cjp

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2012
Messages
1,059
Location
In front of a computer
All interesting stuff - thanks.

Also of interest is that no Plusnet users have been on to recommend them

Just Seen Anthony263 's comment
 
Last edited:

fusionblue

Member
Joined
10 May 2012
Messages
329
I have been with Plusnet for a few months, after spending 6 years with BE.

They are pretty good, and their traffic management is (in my opinion) handled pretty well and does what it should do - which is prioritise more sensitive traffic, such as video calls, online gaming over lesser ones such as P2P.

I would suggest signing up to plusnet via quidco or topcashback - i got £25 back for it.
 
Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,456
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
However I most certainly will never recommend talk-talk to anyone after the problems my parents had with their very poor customer services

One of my sons would most certainly bear out what you say about the "Talk-Talk" organisation and has ventured the view that the "talk-talk" seems only be in one direction when customer complaints are raised with them...and is is NOT that company, who need to totally review their customer relations policy..<(
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,929
Location
UK
Talk Talk is a weird one, in that I think it provides an excellent service, but have done all of the communication via its forum - which I find excellent.

It's rather like Three, where you get great support via Twitter but poor support over the phone (a call centre in India).

But, ultimately, I want a good Internet service and this is where TalkTalk excels because you're able to talk to people online that can do proper account checks, make profile changes and more.

As such, you might find that you have a slow, but stable, Internet connection - but that doesn't mean going elsewhere would be any better (same exchange, cabling etc). However, if you ask to remove the line management and fix a faster profile, they will and then you can see speeds shoot up - with the understanding that it might be a bit less reliable and result in the occasional dropped connection.

I accept this, and get almost 8Mbps where I'd only have got 4 before. I might have to reboot the modem once a fortnight, or occasionally see that it reconnected by itself. No real issue.

By contrast, I couldn't see some other companies having this level of direct access and that would be a step backwards for me. It's like having forums like this, where you can speak to people who know a lot more than you'd get calling up a rail enquiries service.
 

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
I use Utility Warehouse Discount Club for my phone, broadband and utilities.


Their offices are in London and I speak to people in London

Just paid July bill of £20.10p plus VAT for
...Broadband
...line rental
...all phone calls including several to mobiles.

Finally UWDC is used by several Heritage Railways..
 

ailsa

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2009
Messages
100
Location
The land of crop circles and white horses
I am on Plusnet (have been for a year or so now), and their customer service is top notch. I had a problem with the internet dropping out on a regular basis. They sent several engineers, and monitored our connection in between. In the end, they changed the socket, wiring in the house, and the cable between the house and the pole. It turned out I had a duff router. They sent me a new router for free, and didn't charge me for the engineers' visits.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I should point out in the above post that the duff router was my own, and not supplied to me by Plusnet.
 
Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,849
Location
Epsom
I am on Plusnet (have been for a year or so now), and their customer service is top notch. I had a problem with the internet dropping out on a regular basis. They sent several engineers, and monitored our connection in between. In the end, they changed the socket, wiring in the house, and the cable between the house and the pole. It turned out I had a duff router. They sent me a new router for free, and didn't charge me for the engineers' visits.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I should point out in the above post that the duff router was my own, and not supplied to me by Plusnet.

They did the same with me - remote diagnosis of router failure last year resulted in a brand new free router being sent to me complete with my setting pre-stored so I literally only had to plug it in, switch on and verify my ID the first time I used it.

Even better, the top people themselves directly handled the case.

I would certainly highly recommend them.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,929
Location
UK
TalkTalk will send out a new router FOC and a jiffy bag to post back the old one. I am sure all ISPs would do that.
 

michael769

Established Member
Joined
9 Oct 2005
Messages
2,008
TalkTalk will send out a new router FOC and a jiffy bag to post back the old one. I am sure all ISPs would do that.

Many charge for replacement routers (though if you are out of contract you can often get them to waive the charge by asking for your MAC code), and in my experience they are not exactly quick at sending them out, leaving you without service for days.

Personally I would never sign up to a provided unless they allow you the option to use your own kit if you need to. It's a lot quicker than being left wondering why in a day and age when major online retailers can get stuff to you the next day, why it takes them 10 days to pop one in the post.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,929
Location
UK
I was talking about "all ISPs" as per your comment. Not Talk talk specifically.

I realise that. I posted before I added another sentence, which was rather stupid.

I meant to say;

I use my own kit, and there's nothing to say I can't. Do any ISPs still require you to use their own kit?

[I can obviously only comment on my current ISP, but one thing I like is that you can call a freephone number on your home phone to read out your password - the one thing I bet most customers forget or don't write down (or can't find). That makes it especially easy to set up any new modem/router]
 
Last edited:

michael769

Established Member
Joined
9 Oct 2005
Messages
2,008
I use my own kit, and there's nothing to say I can't. Do any ISPs still require you to use their own kit?

Some certainly do. For example I happen (having considered using them in the recent past) to know that this is the case with Sky.
 

cjp

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2012
Messages
1,059
Location
In front of a computer
I am on Plusnet (have been for a year or so now), and their customer service is top notch. I had a problem with the internet dropping out on a regular basis. They sent several engineers, and monitored our connection in between. In the end, they changed the socket, wiring in the house, and the cable between the house and the pole. It turned out I had a duff router. They sent me a new router for free, and didn't charge me for the engineers' visits.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I should point out in the above post that the duff router was my own, and not supplied to me by Plusnet.

Hmm is that their fibre service or "regular" broadband?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top