• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Broad Street Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
Greetings one and all,

I hope someone will be able to give me a guide in the right direction.

While doing Family History I have one member worked at Broad Street Station.

I don't have any firm dates but it will be between 1934 and 1946 he worked there. Not between 1940 - 1945 as he was deployed in WWII.

Are there any records on Employees from that era?
His grade would have most likely been Clerical.

If there are records would it be the NRM?

Thanks in advance,

EDIT: I'm away for a few days soon but I will reply as and when I can. Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magdalia

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
7,431
Location
The Fens
I hope someone will be able to give me a guide in the right direction.

While doing Family History I have one member worked at Broad Street Station.

I don't have any firm dates but it will be between 1934 and 1946 he worked there. Not between 1940 - 1945 as he was deployed in WWII.

Are there any records on Employees from that era?
His grade would have most likely been Clerical.

If there are records would it be the NRM?
I'm not a genealogist, I have a relative in charge of that for my family, but I would not be going to the National Railway Museum first. For railway employee records I would start at the National Archives, their catalogue suggests that the Cheshire County Archive would be worth a look too. The National Archives is also the starting point for military service records.

For railway employees another source is Trades Union records. The University of Warwick have lots of ASLEF and NUR records, but I don't know if they have anything from TSSA or its predecessors.
 
Last edited:

Big Jumby 74

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2022
Messages
2,250
Location
UK
There may be some things at NRM but a better bet would be the National Archives (TNA) at Kew. They have on line guides to their collections I believe, but to view original documents you may need to visit in person.
 

Big Jumby 74

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2022
Messages
2,250
Location
UK
I find Kew intimidating a bit.
I did on my very first visit, to the point I left before really getting to the reading rooms, but went back later more prepared (proof of identity etc) and went through the process to get a readers ticket, and after that was fine. Haven't been there for may be ten years now, but really enjoyed my days there once I'd found my way around - I was doing family related military research for the most part.
 

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
I did on my very first visit, to the point I left before really getting to the reading rooms, but went back later more prepared (proof of identity etc) and went through the process to get a readers ticket, and after that was fine. Haven't been there for may be ten years now, but really enjoyed my days there once I'd found my way around - I was doing family related military research for the most part.
I've been researching the family history since 1990 including overseas things.
I avoided going to Kew.
I have sent them an initial query about the person I am looking for. No names just the locations he worked and the the roles he had.
I'll do one of their online Reader ticket requests once I get a replay and can organise a date to go there.
 

stuving

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2017
Messages
741
The standard advice for getting stuff out of TNA goes like this (I don't how much of this you've already done):
Find and read any relevant research guides. In this case the one on railway workers is the right one; the one on railways is more about company documents.

The guides give advice on searching their catalogue (Discovery) or a tailored search; but even with that I find Discovery pretty intimidating!

This is the entry for LMS -
London, Midland and Scottish Railway 1923-1947 RAIL 426/1-15, RAIL 421/13, RAIL 1015/8
But looking closer at those (in the built-in search), none looks promising.

Ancestry have many of these records sets, searchable and with images (for those with access by subscription or at a library). TNA refer to "electronic images of selected pieces of these records", but I guess they did select all the individual employees' records. I have searched that record set (selected in the "card collection") with no name, keyword "Broad Street" and exact residence date 1939 and 1946; neither gives any hits - there are earlier ones but none that late. For 1934-36 there are a dozen or so.

This (as much for others as for this query) is Ancestry's description of that record set -

About UK, Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956​

This database includes indexed images of employment-related records from a number of historic railway companies in England, Scotland, and Wales.

What is included?

All of the railways included in this database were once private companies that later came under authority of the British Transport Commission with the 1947 Transport Act. The collection features selected records from the following companies:

  • RAIL226: Great Central Railway Company
  • RAIL264: Great Western Railway Company
  • RAIL397: London and North Eastern Railway Company
  • RAIL410: London and North Western Railway Company
  • RAIL411: London and South Western Railway Company
  • RAIL414: London, Brighton and South Coast Railway
  • RAIL415: London, Chatham and Dover Railway Company (formerly the East Kent Railway)
  • RAIL426: London, Midland and Scottish Railway Company
  • RAIL463: Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company
  • RAIL491: Midland Railway Company
  • RAIL1156: Special Collections: Retired Railway Officers' Society
Approximately 50% of the books cover the Great Western Railway, while the books covering the London and North Western Railway are more dense with records. Most records are prior to 1949, though some date later.

What can I find?

The most common record type in the database is a staff register. Others include station transfers, pension and accident records (which can include death date), apprentice records (which can include father's name), caution books, and memos.

Records will typically list an employee’s name, station, position, birth date or age, and various other details, such as salary, date entered service, and transfer information. For example, caution books list offenses employees were written up for and include name, date, grade, station, years of service, and date of suspension if applicable. Salary and wage registers list name, name of person recommending an employee for a position, date of appointment, salary or wage, dates of pay raises or decreases, age at the time the employee joined the railways, promotions, and remarks, which can mention transfers to different stations.

Records can be searched by name, birth year, event year, station, or company. Or they can be browsed by volume. In the browse, unless otherwise identified, the books are staff registers.

What is missing?

There are 58 pieces excluded from this collection for privacy reasons
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top