bb21
Emeritus Moderator
- Joined
- 4 Feb 2010
- Messages
- 24,469
Manual gateline at Euston are very diligent at checking one's passport. There is no other station quite like it.
Absolutely, and this is very much intentional and deliberate pricing policy in line with Government aims which appear to be to encourage us to drive.
Surely a ticket that is available in one EU country and not in another EU country (is Great Britain) is against EU law?
(or have I had too much to drink to think this through properly?)
Manual gateline at Euston are very diligent at checking one's passport. There is no other station quite like it.
Again, I've passed through Euston numerous times on a Britrail pass and have never been asked for any ID.
If a passport is not required to prove residency then what is? I have a place in Florida and have utility bills, bank statements etc which show my US address. Why couldn't anyone us that sort of thing as residency proof. Not that I would of course.
According to the Britpass website you merely need to be an overseas resident thus you need to show proof of residency when you travel, which of course a UK passport is NOT, since many Brits work ex-pat and would be eligible to buy the pass.
On the other hand, you need to show a passport when first validating the pass. These conflicting requirements don't make sense in such circumstances. Maybe they genuinely haven't considered the possibility that ex-pat British citizens might want to spend their leave travelling up and down on trains.
I have to contradict you here, as in 10 years of regularly using Britrail passes (four or five times a year), I have never been asked for my passport or any form of ID when getting the ticket date stamped.
In theory ...
I have only once been asked for proof of ID when validating, and that was interestingly also run by Virgin, at Manchester Piccadilly.
On all other occasions staff just stamped the ticket and filled in the dates.
I guess the rule is there in case there is something dodgy suspected.
From experience holders of Britrail passes will have bags and such like with them so anyone just trying it on whilst not having said stuff on them would probably get asked.
rightly or wrongly - for most they are just happy to stamp the ticket and get a wriggle on elsewhere
You don't have to carry everything round with you on your entire visit do you?
I used to work for a company that was the sole seller of Brit Rail passes in the UK. We used to have their passport and a return ticket/coupon so to prove they were visitors.
And very similar to German policy, for example: in the Black Forest and elsewhere visitors get free local transport as a part of their holiday booking. Obviously to encourage local people to drive.![]()
Surely a ticket that is available in one EU country and not in another EU country (is Great Britain) is against EU law?
(or have I had too much to drink to think this through properly?)
I also hold a UK passport.
Travelled on a BritRail pass last April and never encountered any problems.
Apparently, you have to get the pass validated before first use; if this was the cast last year, I did not know about it, nor did I have any problems. This time around, I plan on getting a current certificate of residency from my local municipality as well as a bank or credit card statement or two, just in case anyone should ask.
Did you have a consecutive pass or a flexi-pass (x days in 1/2 month)?
I have never bought any of the former but the latter would be sold open-dated so the pass needs to be validated first to have the period of validity filled in.
Did you have a consecutive pass or a flexi-pass (x days in 1/2 month)?
I have never bought any of the former but the latter would be sold open-dated so the pass needs to be validated first to have the period of validity filled in.
It was a flexi-pass (4 days in 1 month).
However, the place where I bought the ticket online had asked me for the first day I would like it to be valid on and I believe the period was pre-printed on the ticket ("valid on 4 days between 1 April and 30 April" or something like that - together with four boxes for filling out the specific dates later on).
We are a little short on samples of BritRail in our Ticket Gallery, so if you have a scan of the ticket, I would be more than happy to look at it, and include in our gallery if you have no objection.