Branch line
Member
- Joined
- 16 May 2017
- Messages
- 16
Leamington spa to Nuneaton via Coventry on 1972 map ,then Coventry Nuneaton on 1982 map are the missing routes also.
Interesting that of the half dozen closures on that map, pretty much all have survived as perservation schemes (or a summer holidaymakers' service in the case of Okehampton).The BR corporate image upgrade seemed to swing into action in 1965 (including double arrow logo and name truncation to British Rail).
From 1965 the format of the passenger timetables (both the books themselves and the layout of individual timetables) seemed to change from the fairly archaic styles before then to a cleaner, more modern and definitely easier-to-read look.
I'd suspect the design of the national Passenger Network maps we're discussing came about as part of that Design Panel upgrade.
Up until the first BR All Lines Timetable published in May 1974, each region issued its own individual timetable book, and presumably each had its own tailored version of the network map.
On the LMR, between 1967 and 1973, the map had the whole country on side (similar to examples in Post #6).
On the reverse side was a map focusing on just the London Midland Region lines, plus enlargements of the London, Birmingham and Liverpool/Manchester areas.
Later years (e.g. 1973) were printed in familiar blue, red and black. Earlier years were printed with just black text and one other colour (e.g. red in 1967 & 1968, blue in 1970)
I wonder if the Southern Region ever bothered printing a map for their punters which showed the railway network "north of the river"?
Here's an extract from the 1970 Passenger Network map:
View attachment 77685
Very strangely, the 'chord' linking Hooton to Helsby (i.e. the line through Ellesmere Port) is shown much closer to Chester on the earlier map than on the later one. Was there a major earthquake during the intervening decade that split the land asunder?![]()
Over the Irish Sea:
- Belfast to Antrim trains were routed via Lisburn in 1982, but have since reverted to the original NCC line, as in 1972.
- The line from Rosslare to Waterford closed in 2012.
I can't tell from the photo if Northampton-Market Harborough is shown or not, but I recall travelling over that section on an overnight train from Euston, using an LM regional rover, as a student in about 1969. This was the only passenger train to use the line by then, but as it didn't stop at either station (IIRC) no doubt it wasn't shown for that reason.Well everyone I’ve kept quiet tonight in case one of you guzumped me with my four pound bid, but I’ve just managed to get a 1967 version off eBay...
Sorry about the appalling quality of the photo but it’s taken from the listing, I’ll post a decent one when it arrives:
View attachment 77710
Well everyone I’ve kept quiet tonight in case one of you guzumped me with my four pound bid, but I’ve just managed to get a 1967 version off eBay...
Sorry about the appalling quality of the photo but it’s taken from the listing, I’ll post a decent one when it arrives:
View attachment 77710
I can't see it. The thick red line is Stirling-Perth-Dundee, with thin red lines running north (Inverness) and south (Dunfirmline/Edinburgh) from Perth.I hadn't realised the Strathmore route was not only still open but seemingly still a main route given its in bold red. I presumed it went out with Buchanan Street station the previous year but not so it appears.
Let’s hope they post it quickly. We need a better photo!I can't see it. The thick red line is Stirling-Perth-Dundee, with thin red lines running north (Inverness) and south (Dunfirmline/Edinburgh) from Perth.
You can just about make out Newport on Tay though, and the GNofS coast line.
I can't see it. The thick red line is Stirling-Perth-Dundee, with thin red lines running north (Inverness) and south (Dunfirmline/Edinburgh) from Perth.
You can just about make out Newport on Tay though, and the GNofS coast line.
Let’s hope they post it quickly. We need a better photo!![]()
I hadn’t even noticed that well spotted.Isle of Man is interesting
It shows the Electric Railway, and the now-closed steam lines to Peel and Ramsey, but not the open line to Port Erin
Seconded.Thanks for posting that excellent snapshot of the network in 1967.
Also seconded. The GC remnant Nottingham-Rugby was pretty useless; if anything could be sacrificed I'd say that was the one.I will stick my neck out and say that there isn't really anything on that map that should have been closed.
Seconded.
Also seconded. The GC remnant Nottingham-Rugby was pretty useless; if anything could be sacrificed I'd say that was the one.
Interesting that Tyldesley-Wigan is still showing as open to passengers. The Leigh loop didn't shut until 1969 (now that was a really idiotic closure); the stations between Tyldesley and Wigan closed years earlier. Were some Manchester-Scotland trains still being sent that way?
Quorn had shut in 1963.I agree about the Leigh loop.
I suppose the GC remnant served some intermediate towns such as Quorn etc.
Quorn had shut in 1963.
Lutterworth, I suppose. The inconvenience of separate stations in Nottingham, Leicester and Rugby certainly wouldn't have helped.
And the reverse side of it:
I’m looking for a time machine and a 1967 Southwest Rover on eBay at the moment...