I'm curious to see how long it will take the telecoms giants to re-introduce roaming charges?
I'm hopeful that we will do the same as Switzerland and stay 'aligned', but only time will tell.
I don't see the introduction of charges per se, but I can see it becoming an add-on. Currently EE and Vodafone offer roaming beyond the EU at no extra cost, but only with some sort of add-on (or on a 'max' plan that has the cost included within the monthly fee).
What I see changing is a reduced cap on how much data is included, and hefty run-on charges. I also see the ending of tethering, so forget about sharing your data connection with a laptop/tablet in your hotel room, airport etc. You'll need to probably start using public Wi-Fi again, with all the speed/signal/security issues - plus the hassle of having to sign up to them instead of just being up and running instantly.
When we are no longer bound by EU rules on net neutrality, it will also become legal again to throttle certain services. Networks could block Netflix/YouTube etc when roaming (or, again, charge for it). They could block the ability to access Google Drive or other cloud services. In fact, they could block whatever they like - as Three did until the EU forced them to stop. Three allowed Facebook, IG, Twitter and other selected services to operate without any restrictions, but crippled everything else.
People roaming in the EU today have NO restrictions at all, besides a monthly data cap (of between 19-25GB per month) and I am sure that will change. Partly because I've been told by people who actually play a part in setting tariffs at networks (which I won't name) that this is exactly what
they expect will happen. I'm not suggesting networks operate like a cartel, but they WILL be looking at what each other intend to do - and I'd be absolutely stunned if most of my predictions aren't proven to be accurate.
For what it's worth, if you want to see what it might be like.. take a Three SIM to the USA or somewhere else outside the EU and see how they manage data. Also remember there used to be traffic shaping even in the UK at busy times, something that - again - the EU changed, and Ofcom adhere to. I fear Ofcom will become heavily controlled by our Government like the FCC in the USA to do away with many rights and protections for using the Internet.
So, even those who don't care about using phones abroad will probably see negative changes here in the UK too.