• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol to Weymouth Bus Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin1988

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2012
Messages
1,011
Location
Bristol
Going back a bit I know but can anyone remember anything about the former Bristol to Weymouth route that used to operate?

In particular I'd be interested to find out:

Which depot was it operated from?
What type of vehicles were used?
What sort of fares were charged and were weekly tickets/passes etc accepted?
How long did the route operate for?

If anyone is able to answer any of these questions I'd be extremely interested in your response.

Many thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
23,007
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Going back a bit I know but can anyone remember anything about the former Bristol to Weymouth route that used to operate?

In particular I'd be interested to find out:

Which depot was it operated from?
What type of vehicles were used?
What sort of fares were charged and were weekly tickets/passes etc accepted?
How long did the route operate for?

If anyone is able to answer any of these questions I'd be extremely interested in your response.

Many thanks.

Carlberry will be the man to ask!

I seem to recall the X34 was a Cityline service from Bristol to Weymouth. IIRC, when they were new, the K-LAE Olympians were common visitors to Weymouth so would indicate that it may have been Muller Road?

I doubt that any passes were accepted on there!
 

carlberry

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2014
Messages
3,169
Going back a bit I know but can anyone remember anything about the former Bristol to Weymouth route that used to operate?

In particular I'd be interested to find out:

Which depot was it operated from?
What type of vehicles were used?
What sort of fares were charged and were weekly tickets/passes etc accepted?
How long did the route operate for?

If anyone is able to answer any of these questions I'd be extremely interested in your response.

Many thanks.
Several have operated over the years. The X34 was the last one as far as I can tell. In reality they were day excursions so, I suspect, they'd be fixed price and might be viewed as a long way to sit on a bus seat (I suspect the Badgerline ones used coach seated dekers).
http://bristol-re.co.uk/bvbg/routes.asp?opt=P&IL1=WEY001&IL5=&IL6=

An actual bus route did run from Trowbridge to Bournemouth for a few years in the 1950s!
http://bristol-re.co.uk/bvbg/routes.asp?opt=S&IL1=5413
 

swifty

Established Member
Joined
19 Sep 2012
Messages
1,717
Going back a bit I know but can anyone remember anything about the former Bristol to Weymouth route that used to operate?

In particular I'd be interested to find out:

Which depot was it operated from?
What type of vehicles were used?
What sort of fares were charged and were weekly tickets/passes etc accepted?
How long did the route operate for?

If anyone is able to answer any of these questions I'd be extremely interested in your response.

Many thanks.

I’ve got a timetable from ‘96 somewhere and, if I remember correctly, there were four feeders than ran from different areas of Bristol and met at Whitchurch.

As TGW says the K and L reg batches of Olys were used often.
 

CD

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2014
Messages
1,054
Location
34004
Ran on summer Sundays and Bank holidays into the early 2000s.
 

Martin1988

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2012
Messages
1,011
Location
Bristol
Many thanks to those who've taken the time to response.

I actually do have a Cityline timetable from 1999 which lists the feeder routes but mentions a possible change of bus en route.

Was the idea that only one of the buses actually went to Weymouth but maybe one of the feeders could be used as a duplicate if demand was high enough?
 

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
23,007
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Many thanks to those who've taken the time to response.

I actually do have a Cityline timetable from 1999 which lists the feeder routes but mentions a possible change of bus en route.

Was the idea that only one of the buses actually went to Weymouth but maybe one of the feeders could be used as a duplicate if demand was high enough?
Certainly seen more than one at a time in Weymouth
 

swifty

Established Member
Joined
19 Sep 2012
Messages
1,717
Was the idea that only one of the buses actually went to Weymouth but maybe one of the feeders could be used as a duplicate if demand was high enough?

I think that was the idea and then if all 4 were required they’d all head down.
 

Class 33

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2009
Messages
2,362
The X34 Bristol-Weymouth & Bournemouth service started in 1987 as far I'm aware. I didn't get any journeys on it sadly, but wish I had have done! There was also the X33 Bristol-Barry Island service too, of which I did get a return journey on that service!
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
The X34 Bristol-Weymouth & Bournemouth service started in 1987 as far I'm aware. I didn't get any journeys on it sadly, but wish I had have done! There was also the X33 Bristol-Barry Island service too, of which I did get a return journey on that service!
I was at Bristol University in 1985 when I made an arrangement to meet a female with whom I was not well acquainted off an 'express bus' from Bournemouth on a Sunday and transport her home to a suburb of Bristol in my car. I can't swear to it with the passage of time, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Nat Ex coach she was on, also it wasn't the bus/coach station where I arranged to meet her, but a previous stop in the centre. Now, it's possible she had to change buses mid-route (Salisbury?) but it was certainly a feasible bus journey then.
 

DaveHarries

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2011
Messages
2,576
Location
England
Several have operated over the years. The X34 was the last one as far as I can tell. In reality they were day excursions so, I suspect, they'd be fixed price and might be viewed as a long way to sit on a bus seat (I suspect the Badgerline ones used coach seated dekers).
http://bristol-re.co.uk/bvbg/routes.asp?opt=P&IL1=WEY001&IL5=&IL6=

An actual bus route did run from Trowbridge to Bournemouth for a few years in the 1950s!
http://bristol-re.co.uk/bvbg/routes.asp?opt=S&IL1=5413
Golly: that was a long one. How long was the end-to-end trip scheduled to take?!

I’ve got a timetable from ‘96 somewhere and, if I remember correctly, there were four feeders than ran from different areas of Bristol and met at Whitchurch.

As TGW says the K and L reg batches of Olys were used often.
One of the feeder buses used to stop about 2 minutes walk from my house so I certainly remember seeing them.

Dave
 
Joined
25 Apr 2013
Messages
125
Location
Home Counties
I was at Bristol University in 1985 when I made an arrangement to meet a female with whom I was not well acquainted off an 'express bus' from Bournemouth on a Sunday and transport her home to a suburb of Bristol in my car. I can't swear to it with the passage of time, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Nat Ex coach she was on, also it wasn't the bus/coach station where I arranged to meet her, but a previous stop in the centre. Now, it's possible she had to change buses mid-route (Salisbury?) but it was certainly a feasible bus journey then.

Possibly X3 Wilts & Dorset Bournemouth > Salisbury, then X4 W&D/Badgerline Salisbury > Bristol had it NOT been a Sunday ....
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Possibly X3 Wilts & Dorset Bournemouth > Salisbury, then X4 W&D/Badgerline Salisbury > Bristol had it NOT been a Sunday ....
I was going to add that I had it in the back of my mind that it was a Wilts and Dorset vehicle (I was waiting at the bus stop) but, as this is way outside my area of knowledge, I left it out. I can't be absolutely certain it was a Sunday, it just might have been a Saturday.
 

carlberry

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2014
Messages
3,169
An actual bus route did run from Trowbridge to Bournemouth for a few years in the 1950s!
http://bristol-re.co.uk/bvbg/routes.asp?opt=S&IL1=5413

Golly: that was a long one. How long was the end-to-end trip scheduled to take?!

Dave
From the timetable for June 1951.
Trowbridge Castle Street 0930 1630
Bournemouth 1339 2039

Bournemouth 0925 1625
Trowbridge Fore Street 1334 2034

Both services met in Shaftesbury for 5 minutes and, I suspect, the drivers at least swapped over at that point. The vehicles might have worked through as they were both likely to be Bristols of some kind.
 

CD

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2014
Messages
1,054
Location
34004
From the timetable for June 1951.
Trowbridge Castle Street 0930 1630
Bournemouth 1339 2039

Bournemouth 0925 1625
Trowbridge Fore Street 1334 2034

Both services met in Shaftesbury for 5 minutes and, I suspect, the drivers at least swapped over at that point. The vehicles might have worked through as they were both likely to be Bristols of some kind.
4 hours on a bus, think I would have rather have used the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top