• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol to Glasgow via Crosscountry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
6 Jan 2026
Messages
5
Location
South West
Hello

I'm looking to travel from Bristol to Glasgow. I'm offered two routes by journey planners:
  1. Via Birmingham with XC then via Carlisle with Avanti
  2. Via Birmingham, York and Edinburgh with Crosscountry then ScotRail.

I want a break of journey in York so #2 sounds best. However when I check the routeing guide I get maps PE+YG. These don't show a valid way to get from Birmingham to York. So how is this a valid route? I've tried searching the easements but can't find anything.

Thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,816
Location
UK
Map combination PY+YG is the one you're looking for; this covers the route via York. Going via York, and breaking your journey there, wouldn't be controversial in any way.

If you buy the "Any Permitted" ticket it's valid on all operators so once you recommence your journey in York you can use TPE, LNER, CrossCountry or even Lumo if you like. CrossCountry run two direct trains a day from York to Glasgow Central (departing at 17:36 and 18:36) whilst Lumo run one direct a day from Kings Cross to Glasgow Queen Street, which you could change onto at Newcastle (departs 17:08) or Edinburgh (departs 18:48).
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,723
Location
Burgess Hill
I want a break of journey in York so #2 sounds best. However when I check the routeing guide I get maps PE+YG. These don't show a valid way to get from Birmingham to York. So how is this a valid route? I've tried searching the easements but can't find anything.
There are five map combinations available:
  • MP → CG
  • MP → CG → GK
  • PE
  • PE → GK
  • PY → YG
In this case, the journey you want is permitted by PY+YG, and I have been beaten to this by Watershed.

Screenshot 2026-01-06 at 10.59.54.png
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,543
Location
Yorkshire
Hello

I'm looking to travel from Bristol to Glasgow. I'm offered two routes by journey planners:
  1. Via Birmingham with XC then via Carlisle with Avanti
  2. Via Birmingham, York and Edinburgh with Crosscountry then ScotRail.

I want a break of journey in York so #2 sounds best. However when I check the routeing guide I get maps PE+YG. These don't show a valid way to get from Birmingham to York. So how is this a valid route? I've tried searching the easements but can't find anything.
If the forum ticketing site shows it as valid, you can be pretty confident it will be valid!

There's no need for anyone to consult the routeing guide, as an itinerary is evidence of a contract, and also the right to use the accompanying itinerary is enshrined in the Conditions of Travel.

If you'd like to have some extra interchange time, or force a change at any given station, our site allows such options.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top