• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol to Cheltenham - very rough riding track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonmidland

Established Member
Joined
22 Dec 2009
Messages
2,378
Location
Leicester
Around a week ago, I was on a Cross Country HST travelling from Bristol Temple Meads to Birmingham New Street. I noticed the section between Bristol Parkway and Cheltenham Spa was extremely rough riding.

The carriage was, by no exaggeration, swaying from side to side and rocking like a boat whilst at line speed. Certainly enough movement to make a cup of tea slide off a table. I was very surprised that there wasn’t an emergency speed restriction in place, as I don’t think I’ve ever experienced such rough riding. Certainly not from a HST, which usually rides quite well at high speeds.

Rather ironically, the line is closed at the time of typing between Bristol Parkway and Cheltenham Spa due to a reported kink in the track.

Has anyone else experienced a similar experience on this section?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Around a week ago, I was on a Cross Country HST travelling from Bristol Temple Meads to Birmingham New Street. I noticed the section between Bristol Parkway and Cheltenham Spa was extremely rough riding.

The carriage was, by no exaggeration, swaying from side to side and rocking like a boat whilst at line speed. Certainly enough movement to make a cup of tea slide off a table. I was very surprised that there wasn’t an emergency speed restriction in place, as I don’t think I’ve ever experienced such rough riding. Certainly not from a HST, which usually rides quite well at high speeds.

Rather ironically, the line is closed at the time of typing between Bristol Parkway and Cheltenham Spa due to a reported kink in the track.

Has anyone else experienced a similar experience on this section?

This is by no means an isolated incident and is a regular occurrence all over the railway. Once rough riding is reported by a driver, the line will be inspected and appropriate action taken. A line closure would be an extreme reaction however, suggesting the fault was severe and not easily fixed by P-way or tamping etc.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,539
Interestingly, I’ve always found the track between Cheltenham Spa and Bromsgrove to be rough riding in places, especially on a XC Class 170!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top