• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol rail passengers complain... they CANNOT pay their fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
Anyway, how about this for a really expensive (and failure-prone!) solution?
Order some new units, maybe some 172s (as if there aren't enough on the production line as it is! :D), which come with interactive display boards on the back of each seat. These display boards come complete with ticket printing facilities, and the passenger simply selects the journey that they have made and prints a ticket for it, which would include price. FGW then open a new entrance/exit from the main "hall" which links only to Platform 1 (so all Severn Beach line trains run there), which is manned by conductors, to whom the passenger surrenders - and pays for! - his/her ticket.

I couldn't get a ticket because the seat broke!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Inspector at BRI:

"What do you mean, the seat broke? Can the passenger in the seat your display was built into confirm this? Did he fall through the seat and land on the floor of the train? I think not. I shall be issuing you a penalty fare!"

Best... Excuse... Ever! :D
 

43167

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2010
Messages
1,021
Location
Keighley
There was the same today in west yorkshire. I got on a penistone line service going to huddersfield. I was the only person to get on at Honley, at the next station, Berry Brow again just one person boarded, then a couple at Lockwood.

The conductor just told the lockwood passengers to buy their tickets at the barrier in Huddersfield, presumable because it was his last job of the day and he had already cashed up.

They nearly riotted.
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
Don't know about that particular TOC, but I used to get 15min book off time, enabling me to mop up the last lot of passengers tickets, (usually) and cash up in the messroom. Now I get 5min, this is walking time only, so I get cashed in earlier now. Which is unfortunate for anyone looking for a ticket from me.
 

43167

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2010
Messages
1,021
Location
Keighley
Now I take it this is a pay-train, if so then that is what he gets paid to do, he shouldn't be cashing up until after the last station even though he gets time at the end of the shift to cash up, cheeky sod.

Yes it was a pay on the train. The journey time between stations on this particular line are short, but long enough i would say for the conductor to do tickets.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Leeds is the same story. Been on a couple of trains where they have said that the ticket machine is "broken" and so passengers have to buy on the station. Debateable that a machine can break on a 30 minute journey.
 

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
We have this no paying for a ticket problem quite bad on the Bromley North line I would say that 75% of the people don't pay, and are never inspected for tickets either. Plus most of the offenders are young teenagers, and a ticket would only cost them £1.00 there and return. tut tut.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top