• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol Harbourside Bus Running Day - Sunday 28th April 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 33

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2009
Messages
2,362
This is an excellent day out for those who want to spend all day riding around on classic old buses around Bristol and beyond out into the Somerset country! And throughout the day, usually no more than 10 minutes wait for any bus from the Bristol Harbourside main bus stop.

I only found out about it two years ago in 2011, indeed that was the first Bus Rally/Running Day I ever went to. I'd seen old buses running around the centre on some days in previous years, but allways thought it was a private event for paid up enthusiast club members only! There was no event in 2012, and was much missed!

In the 2011 event, routes included the old services like the 74 Centre-Patchway, the 13 Fishponds-Centre-Downs, the 28 Centre-Sea Mills/Avonmouth, the 145 Shirehampton-Centre-Stockwood, the 354 Centre-Nailsea-Centre, and the 376 Bristol-Pensford. Does anyone know if they usually stick to the same services/routes every year, or have different services/routes every year?

(this is far better than that Flowers Hill(Brislington) Running Day I went to earlier this month. No advertised timetable or programme atall. Only a bus departing about every 45 minutes to 1 hour, and often an incoming bus returning would then just miss a bus going out! Not bothering with that one again!)
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
I can't answer any of your queries, but I intend to be there. Does anyone know what sort of cost - if any - we are looking at to visit and/or ride around?
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,334
Location
Reading
I can't answer any of your queries, but I intend to be there. Does anyone know what sort of cost - if any - we are looking at to visit and/or ride around?

Information seems a bit hard to find on the web, but last time I went it was free, and it looks like there'll again be some buses running up to the Clifton Rocks Railway which is well worth a visit if you've not been before.
 

Class 33

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2009
Messages
2,362
Yes it is totally free to visit the site and ride around on buses all day long. Though you can make a donation in the collection boxes on the buses if you wish. My advice though would be to fork out a fiver for a programme, to make it much easier to plan what buses/routes to travel on.

Should be a great day!
 
Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,894
Location
South Wales
Seen quite a few photos from today sadly I couldnt go. it was either the bus ralley or the railtour to Swansea.

Also noted today that Bristol Greyhound have been forced to change their name to Pier Buses because of a threat of legal action over the use of the name.
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
Also noted today that Bristol Greyhound have been forced to change their name to Pier Buses because of a threat of legal action over the use of the name.

Yep. It appears First Group weren't happy. Big boy bully tactics.
 

Class 33

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2009
Messages
2,362
The event yesterday was pretty good. However I thought it was a bit dissapointing compared to the 2011 event. Firstly when I brought a copy of the programme I realised there wasn't such a good selection of routes this year compared to 2011. The longest routes only went as far as Sea Mills and Muller Road Depot. The only other routes were one to Lawrence Hill, and the usual Clifton Rocks Railway and City Circle(via Temple Meads) routes. No routes this year going further out to the Bristol suburbs like for example Avonmouth, Pathchway, and Stockwood. Also no routes this year going a little beyond Bristol out into the Somerset country - didn't get chance to do any of those in 2011 so was hoping to this year. Another thing I found was that a number of the timetabled services were not turning up atall. Also didn't seem as good a balance of double deckers and single deckers, seemed to be too many single deckers this year, and not a more varied selection of different buses.

Apart from those niggles though, still a good day out. Particularly enjoyed the two return trips up to Muller Road on the Bristol RE's!
 
Last edited:

Dennis

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2005
Messages
2,676
Location
Trowbridge
I thought it was a good day out and, as always, the efforts of the organisers and vehicle owners are appreciated. Regarding the longer distance running, there were a number of mystery trips, some of which did penetrate the countryside.

My only gripe would be that there didn't seem to be as much of the newer stuff running as in previous years.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top