• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol depot routes and traction

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinB1

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2015
Messages
113
I'm currently a qualified driver, and at some point in the future might be intending to relocate to Bristol. As of now it's largely hypothetical, and dependant on qualified driver positions coming up etc. Which routes do GWR operate from there, and what traction types are operated? Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johncleesefan

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2013
Messages
729
I'm currently a qualified driver, and at some point in the future might be intending to relocate to Bristol. As of now it's largely hypothetical, and dependant on qualified driver positions coming up etc. Which routes do GWR operate from there, and what traction types are operated? Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

There is bristol west and hss.


West sign 158, 150, 153 and turbos.
Routes are Cardiff, Taunton, Weymouth, Gloucester, Portsmouth and st Phillips marsh depot so plenty of variety.

Hss sign hst, 08 and soon 800.
Routes are Paddington, Swansea I believe and possible exeter but I'm not 100% on their routes.

Terms and conditions vary between west and hss so check aslef website for info
 

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,508
Location
DTOS A or B
Iirc Bristol is a split depot into west (Dmu's) and HSS (hst's)

West iirc is Cardiff-Portsmouth. Taunton/Exeter. Gloucester and seven beach
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
There is bristol west and hss.


West sign 158, 150, 153 and turbos.
Routes are Cardiff, Taunton, Weymouth, Gloucester, Portsmouth and st Phillips marsh depot so plenty of variety.

Hss sign hst, 08 and soon 800.
Routes are Paddington, Swansea I believe and possible exeter but I'm not 100% on their routes.

Terms and conditions vary between west and hss so check aslef website for info

Don't HSS also work Hereford. Cotswolds, Cheltenham and Golden Valley
 

MartinB1

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2015
Messages
113
Please forgive my ignorance. What is the difference between HSS,LTV and WEST? I've just seen on their website that they have qualified driver vacancies on their Central region. How does this fit with the above? This is very much not in the immediate future as I'm still in my PQ period, however my wife has family in Bristol and relocation there is something we are considering.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
Please forgive my ignorance. What is the difference between HSS,LTV and WEST? I've just seen on their website that they have qualified driver vacancies on their Central region. How does this fit with the above? This is very much not in the immediate future as I'm still in my PQ period, however my wife has family in Bristol and relocation there is something we are considering.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

HSS - High Speed Services
LTV - London and Thames Valley
West - Regional and local work (DMUs)
 

Dhassell

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2015
Messages
1,011
Please forgive my ignorance. What is the difference between HSS,LTV and WEST? I've just seen on their website that they have qualified driver vacancies on their Central region. How does this fit with the above? This is very much not in the immediate future as I'm still in my PQ period, however my wife has family in Bristol and relocation there is something we are considering.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

HSS - High Speed Services. Any depot that signs solely HST's basically.
LTV - London Thames Valley, Depots within the Thames Valley area, eg. Pad, Reading, Oxford. They will sign HST's for when they venture up to Hereford/Worcester etc. As well as Turbos and Class 180's.
West- Is anything not HSS and not Thames Valley, for example unit depots at Bristol (SPM), Exeter, Plymouth, Penzance etc.

I am not 100% sure, but I feel that Bristol is classed as "Central" on there website for recruitment.
 
Last edited:

windnoise69

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2011
Messages
437
Location
Bristol
With GWR you have to start on the west at Bristol. After 2 years work you can put your name on the list to go HSS.

You'll start in the bottom link, routes are Cardiff/Bristol parkway - Taunton, Severn Beach and ST Phillips Marsh.

Link 2 adds Gloucester, Frome & Warminster.

Top link add Portsmouth & Weymouth.

Traction is 150,153,158 & 165/166.

We're a big friendly bunch, if you join you'll be made more than welcome.
 

Johncleesefan

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2013
Messages
729
Soon? Already happening! 3 Bristol HSS drivers already sign 800s, should be up to 4 by the end of the week, with plenty more to follow.

Ok then, soon in service 800s.

I wasn't aware outsiders had to start west. I know internal transfer can request either west or hss

As for hss routes, like I said I don't really know. The gods don't really talk to lower life forms such as myself
 

windnoise69

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2011
Messages
437
Location
Bristol
Bristol HSS I bottom link I believe is Weston/Cheltenham/Cardiff - Padd, SPM sand the Oak.
But there's quite a list of West drivers wanting to transfer
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top