• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton Voyager Farewell, 13th December 2008 - Trip Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Hi all,

This was to be a quick post, but it turned into a trip report!

Sorry you couldn't make it Dennis, I hope you got a refund for any tickets already bought.

Hope you're feeling better Josh!

For those who didn't make it, we had quite the good trip.

The meet started for me as I left the house at 0630 and got my lift to Hereford. Arrival was just over 30 minutes later. Thankfully time to check which power cars are on the train. Job done in that I get 43193 and 176. 193 was my final GW power car to get for haulage back in May, so I was glad to increase my mileage with it. We leave promptly with a good noise off 193 at 0722.

Arriving at Ledbury at 0740, I wonder why we then spend some time here. An announcement soon reveals why. Due to flooding in the Malvern area, we have to turn back and go through Hereford and Abergavenny to get to London. This means Maindee Curve! I get rather excited about this, understandably, as that's required track! But as soon as the announcement was over, another one came on to say the signaller had changed his mind and we'd continue via the normal route.

I wasn't happy about that, but when I heard later from Dennis that Swindon and Newbury were out I was rather grateful we hadn't gone round the other way, as we'd have been stuck and I'd have missed the Voyager. Arrival was only slightly late in the end, due to the lengthy pathing stop at Evesham. At which, we passed 180102, which I need for haulage still! Cue a "MEGA-GRR!" at that point.

The other bit to note now was the screens were showing that the 0955 to London was now going from platform 1 which was a platform change. Since when do London trains depart from anywhere apart from platform 1?!

Going down from Oxford I was joined by Sprinter (not currently on the forum, should be back here soon) and we decided to go First Class for the extra treat. The crew on board were on their last ever AXC working, so must have been in a good mood and we weren't charged for the upgrade. Job done. For the whole trip, Sprinter and I discuss and review route coverage and fleet sightage, apart from when we were looking out of the window to observe passing stock and what lines we were on.

At Kensington Olympia, we see a steam-hauled tour (Earl of something on the front, required sight IIRC for me!) and makstaylor joins the train but remains in Standard for the outward journey and we meet him (almost by chance!) at Brighton.

We didn't do the route mentioned in the opening post of the meet thread, which initially annoyed me. After a wait outside Clapham Junction we pulled into the station and stopped there. I was rather annoyed to begin with, but then 377140 pulled in, which I was mega chuffed about as it was my last one of the class to get for sight.:D

We continued via the slow lines to Selhurst and into East Croydon's platform 3. Off via the fast lines to Haywards Heath and into the Down Loop there. More Quail scratching! Arrived into Brighton's platform 7, upon which we had a band playing as we all stepped off. Around to the front and "WE LOVE JOHN DEE!" was showing on the destination display. After a short but sweet trip to Brighton we got photos of the farewell message on the platform display before having a seminar at the country end of 220021. Off we went on time towards Gatwick.

Into platform 2 at East Croydon having done the fast lines again. Even more Quail scratching all over the place today! Having left Sprinter at Gatwick Airport, makstaylor and I were all eyes out of the window to keep track of the route we took home. Up through Norwood Junction and Crystal Palace to Balham and the same route back to Oxford now. As one can guess, a bit of track was scratched in once again!

At Kensington Olympia, Steven joined us, which surprised me. As per everyone else, he had wanted to do the last one. He told us that this was indeed the last Voyager to Brighton as the 1633 to Brighton and 1733 to Gatwick (from Birmingham) were cancelled due to the ECS moves for today. That pleased me, having done the last one there AND out of Brighton.:D

Due to the massive amount of flooding, we got held at Acton Wells for GW services to go in and out of London. Many minutes later, we eventually get going and onto the relief lines all the way to west of Slough, where we hit the mainlines again. Took some time to get there! makstaylor leaves us here to do a 458 to Twickenham for a meeting with a friend and eventual return to Hemel Hempstead.

Having now checked the timetable, I decide to carry on to Birmingham for two reasons. First was to have done the run throughout on the 1422 and second was to scratch in the route via Solihull (which cannot be done now on Voyagers) for the last time for me (indeed, the 1422 was one of the last 3 services booked to go that way). At Reading, we have to wait for crew off the Bournemouth service and eventually leave 18 minutes late.

An uneventful journey really going north, although we had picked up 4 minutes by Banbury and Leamington Spa, so only 14 minutes late by now. Unfortunately, we lost those 4 minutes (and more) outside New Street waiting for a path. We eventually arrived at approximately 1844. Steven had to dash for a Pendolino, due to a lack of decent connections to Tame Bridge for the WSMR service, so no time for another seminar. So I decide to do one on my own.

Off then for a chippy move! Back onto the station 10 minutes or so later, it was onto 323215 to University for a filler move on the 1904. Job done, I needed that one. 6 more LM 323s to bash then! There, 170635 arrives on the 1915 to New Street, this being the unit that *should* work the 1930 to Hereford, I think. Or rather hope. We leave 4 minutes late and all the way I worry in case it doesn't do the 1930 and I miss it. Thankfully, there was no need for concern and we leave New Street again 2 minutes late. Arrival at Hereford was right-time at 2059, despite leaving Worcester Shrub Hill 4 minutes late. The bus was late arriving into Hereford, so having walked further into town for it I eventually leave for home at 2122 and arrive home around an hour later.

So what was supposed to be a quick post has turned more into a trip report! I'll finish with the following thanks:

makstaylor and Sprinter for attending the meet and helping to make it a good 'un.

The AXC crew on the 0933 Birmingham New Street to Brighton. Good luck for the future with Virgin at Euston.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Cheers Techniquest for suggesting the meet. You wouldn't happen to have the mileage from Kensington to Reading would you? I have Brighton to Kensington via Norwood and Gipsy Hill, and Reading to Acton Mainline, but obviously the route via Mitre Junc is unavailable by usual methods...
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
If you'll bear with me until tomorrow or something, I'll dig it out of the Quail. Got to work it out myself. Needless to say, CORE won't manage to find our correct route from Brighton to Birmingham!

Glad you enjoyed the meet, the only thing that could have made it better would have been running on time (never going to happen with the weather conditions affecting so much) and having 220022. Came flipping close with 220021 like, which was good enough but 022 would have been quite fitting!

Photos are in the process of being uploaded at the moment, the video footage joins a massive pile of tapes waiting to be transferred to VHS, let alone YouTube. It'll be proper heritage by the time I upload it!
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
Having now checked the timetable, I decide to carry on to Birmingham for two reasons. First was to have done the run throughout on the 1422 and second was to scratch in the route via Solihull (which cannot be done now on Voyagers) for the last time for me (indeed, the 1422 was one of the last 3 services booked to go that way). At Reading, we have to wait for crew off the Bournemouth service and eventually leave 18 minutes late.


Are not all the Newcastle - Reading services routed via Solihull?
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Having gotten the new timetable for that bit of AXC today, it appears that they are actually continuing to run via Solihull. It was of the belief at the time that they were to send everything via International and Coventry. This is not the case as I've now seen.
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
It was always the intention to run via Solihull I think? They were certainly not going to stop at Coventry or Birmingham International, why route them but not call?

They should really stop at Solihull though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top