• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton - Victoria - Lewes or Brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielson00

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2012
Messages
55
I think this has been answered here.

But last week I bought a Brighton - Victoria anytime return ticket, as the ticket office said I could return to Lewes on it. However on the train back to Lewes the guard said it was only valid during times of disruption, but let me off.

Basically I work in Lewes, live in Brighton and sometimes go to our London office. Depending on what time I finish in London I come back to Lewes or just go home to Brighton. I leave Brighton at 7.30am. (On the Gatwick Express :P)

So, what is the correct ticket, or as its an anytime ticket anyway (£47.70), would I be better just getting 2 singles, the latter depending on where I am heading to?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
It is valid, so I suggest you write to Southern about being incorrectly advised, so that they can ensure appropriate training is provided. Southern's training is inadequate, as highlighted in other threads.

However, to avoid hassle, book on the Southern website, and specify via Lewes, and bring the itinerary with you to show to any unknowledgable staff who question it.

Season ticket holders can buy from Falmer instead. People doing the journey in reverse can buy to Falmer instead, as Falmer is equidistant via either route.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
Thanks, so book BTN-VIC via LEW or LEW to VIC via BTN ?
Yes, depending on which is appropriate for your journey that day.

The itinerary is evidence of a contract, in a form that is rather easier to carry and demonstrate than an analysis of the Routeing Guide.

I doubt Southern provided adequate training on how to determine permitted routes to the Guard who claimed it was not a valid route; the Guard probably just made it up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top