• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton to Southampton on Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

PedroHav

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2022
Messages
71
Location
Havant
During the week, including Saturdays, Southern services run a half hourly between Southampton and Brighton which is what the new timetable wanted to achieve. Alleviating the delays from a Victoria direct service.
However on Sundays there is only one an hour. Today you couldn't get a seat with people standing all through the train.
Is this because working Sundays is overtime and they can't confirm that they're can't be crews ?
There were a lot of unhappy travellers ....
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainmania100

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2015
Messages
3,040
Location
Newhaven
I don't know the reason. But I do know for however long I can remember, the Sunday Brighton to Southampton has always called at every station along the west coastway. For decades.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,862
Location
West of Andover
I don't know the reason. But I do know for however long I can remember, the Sunday Brighton to Southampton has always called at every station along the west coastway. For decades.
Southampton is all stations east of Chichester, it does skip the smaller stations between Havant & Chichester which are served by the Portsmouth - Brighton train which calls at everywhere bar Hilsea.

Unless it's changed since I last headed that way
 

OneOfThe48

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2023
Messages
283
Location
London
Is this because working Sundays is overtime and they can't confirm that they're can't be crews ?
There were a lot of unhappy travellers ....

Yes I believe this is the reason. I think they would like to run more trains but wouldn’t be able to reliably crew them with the current staff arrangements
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
During the week, including Saturdays, Southern services run a half hourly between Southampton and Brighton which is what the new timetable wanted to achieve. Alleviating the delays from a Victoria direct service.
However on Sundays there is only one an hour. Today you couldn't get a seat with people standing all through the train.
Is this because working Sundays is overtime and they can't confirm that they're can't be crews ?
There were a lot of unhappy travellers ....
I believe the last major timetable review on the West Coastway did not alter the Sunday services at all.

So if it’s a crew availability problem it must have been there ever since the Brighton - Southampton service started in 2007ish. I’m not sure, but did SN serve Southampton at all on Sundays before then, ie going back to when the main service was Victoria to Bournemouth was it Mon-Sat only?
 

Grecian 1998

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2019
Messages
525
Location
Bristol
I travelled on the 1154 east out of Fareham as far as West Worthing on Sunday, and then the 1651 out of Barnham back to Fareham. Both trains were busy but there were both plenty of standees and plenty of seats.

The bigger issue was the number of people with large luggage who decided to sit in an aisle seat and keep their luggage next to them in the aisle, even though it would likely have fitted in the overhead lockers or between seat backs (I was in a coach with 2+2 seating mainly at tables in both directions). Not sure if it was related to the Bank Holiday weekend but it wasn't helpful.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top