• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton (Southwick!) to Leicester...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanyalbeck

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2009
Messages
34
Hi,
the 2 boys and I are excited about going to see a friend in Leicester over half term but need to find cheap tickets!! we were thinking of the 13th Feb to return on 17th Feb but can be flexible either side of these dates as needed.

We're starting for Southwick station, so brighton may be an easier starting point. I have a family & friends railcard.

Any suggestions for the cheapest way there?!
Tanya
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,424
Location
Yorkshire
The cheapest tickets will be Advance Single tickets for the through journey. There are very cheap tickets available for this journey, especially on your outward journey.

I specified avoid Victoria to look up these fares, because you will want to change at somewhere like St Pancras, and also some Southern trains are reservable between Brighton & Victoria so that can cause complications.

The absolute cheapest would have involved Megatrain but it's too late for the really cheap Megatrain fares now.
 

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Joined
16 Apr 2010
Messages
4,234
Location
Reading
I can see quite a few journeys at £18.70 (for 1 adult and 2 children on a family & friends railcard) heading north on the 13th Feb, with a single change at St Pancras (assuming you board at Brighton). There is one journey at this price coming back on the 17th (dep Leicester 1357 arr Brighton 1655). The fares are the same whether starting in Southwick or Brighton.

It might be easier to change at a smaller station north of London like Luton or Bedford instead of changing at St Pancras, where you have to transfer between different parts of the station. If you put via Harpenden or via Luton into the journey planner it should give a few different options for the change point. Someone else might be able to advise whether any of these changes would be same-platform (I doubt it), but it wouldn't be a long walk anyway.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,424
Location
Yorkshire
Going North I'd probably change at St Pancras (using the lifts or escalators) to be on the train from the start of the journey, but going South there is a chance of a cross-platform change at Bedford if you can get a train that calls at Bedford, and you'd then be on the Thameslink train all the way to Brighton so guaranteed a seat (Bedford-Brighton trains are non-reservable).
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,035
Location
Gloucester
Going North I'd probably change at St Pancras (using the lifts or escalators) to be on the train from the start of the journey, but going South there is a chance of a cross-platform change at Bedford if you can get a train that calls at Bedford, and you'd then be on the Thameslink train all the way to Brighton so guaranteed a seat (Bedford-Brighton trains are non-reservable).

This is a perfect example of not having to change through London! This is exactly what we need more of!
 

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,919
This is a perfect example of not having to change through London! This is exactly what we need more of!

I disagree, going north, and getting on the Leciester train at Bedford is far more hassle than at St.P and you are also suggesting a slower journey. I always find the tube to be quicker than the thameslink trains, in fact I have missed connections after taking the Thameslink over the tube. I dislike the Thameslink programme idea anyway. They should allow Southern to run it not FCC.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
I disagree, going north, and getting on the Leciester train at Bedford is far more hassle than at St.P and you are also suggesting a slower journey. I always find the tube to be quicker than the thameslink trains, in fact I have missed connections after taking the Thameslink over the tube. I dislike the Thameslink programme idea anyway. They should allow Southern to run it not FCC.

Well now, you're opening a bit of a debate up on those points ;)

Personally, I prefer to change at St Pancras, but it's not to say that the OP should. Since Bedford has lifts to the relevant platforms, it's just the question of journey time. St Pancras is a nicer place to wait, but it will actually take longer to walk through.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
But you won't get a pick of seats at St Pancras, and changing at Bedford would mean instead of getting a fast 7 car 222 or HST, you are getting a slow 4/5 car 222 which heads to Nottingham, and these are the busiest trains, as they are the only slow train from London - Leicester since Corby came along.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,035
Location
Gloucester
I disagree, going north, and getting on the Leciester train at Bedford is far more hassle than at St.P and you are also suggesting a slower journey. I always find the tube to be quicker than the thameslink trains, in fact I have missed connections after taking the Thameslink over the tube. I dislike the Thameslink programme idea anyway. They should allow Southern to run it not FCC.

Well actually having said that St Pancras isn't a bad option either, as it's the same station you change, it would just be like changing at one station only, not crossing terminals. And yes I agree with the whole seat thing and getting a fast express.
 

tanyalbeck

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2009
Messages
34
thank you!! as a novice I am slightly confused with the debating on changing in London or not... i'll have 2 hyper kids with me so the easiest way (and cheapest!!) is best.
What is a megatrain?
Tanya
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,243
Location
UK
I disagree, going north, and getting on the Leciester train at Bedford is far more hassle than at St.P and you are also suggesting a slower journey. I always find the tube to be quicker than the thameslink trains, in fact I have missed connections after taking the Thameslink over the tube. I dislike the Thameslink programme idea anyway. They should allow Southern to run it not FCC.

Dont forget that bedford will be a meridian service, but STP could be meridian or HST
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top