• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton & Hove / Metrobus Discussion

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,374
I just worry in case it is mainly or only Volvo B5LHs on the Epsom - Redhill route
Fairly rare now. They appeared quite a bit on Sundays after the Hydroliners were first in service but even that seems to be rare now.

EDIT - I write that, and then fund that all 5 420/460/480 workings this Sunday aren't Hydroliners. On bustimes seems to have been solid Hydroliners for about two weeks before Friday.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minstral25

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2009
Messages
1,967
Location
Surrey
Fairly rare now. They appeared quite a bit on Sundays after the Hydroliners were first in service but even that seems to be rare now.

EDIT - I write that, and then fund that all 5 420/460/480 workings this Sunday aren't Hydroliners. On bustimes seems to have been solid Hydroliners for about two weeks before Friday.

I was out and about on Sunday and the 430/435 and 100 were also not Hydrogen.
Seems the whole Hydrogen fleet was in the depot on Sunday. Software update perhaps?
 

that1pepfan

On Moderation
Joined
19 Oct 2022
Messages
537
Location
Brighton
I was out and about on Sunday and the 430/435 and 100 were also not Hydrogen.
Seems the whole Hydrogen fleet was in the depot on Sunday. Software update perhaps?
Sunday is usually re fuel day, they get the hydrogen delivery on the Sunday
 

Edvid

Established Member
Joined
7 Feb 2008
Messages
2,538
Sunday is usually re fuel day, they get the hydrogen delivery on the Sunday
Notable exception being when the Quarry and Redhill lines are shut north of Gatwick (one weekend per year, I believe) and Metrobus are involved in the associated rail replacement work, I take it. It would explain why GB Kite Hydroliners aplenty still covered routes 10/20 last time I visited Crawley on a Sunday.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,124
A query about the hydrogen buses. Are they as silent as EV buses, or does the hydrogen drive an engine, either directly or to charge batteries?
 

Edvid

Established Member
Joined
7 Feb 2008
Messages
2,538
All hydrogen buses in the UK are of the fuel cell variety, so I think their drivelines are very similar to those of battery-electrics. By sound you probably couldn't tell Hydroliners and Electroliners apart.

Anecdotally, you can hardly hear Metrobus' StreetDeck Hydroliners' whines from the front of the upper deck (in contrast to Metroline's on the TfL 7).
 

b5tlgem2

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2024
Messages
37
Location
Brighton
Anyone else also wanting to see a b9tl in bh5 livery? Feel like the new livery would look better on b9 than on the streetdeck.
 
Joined
12 Feb 2024
Messages
63
Location
Brighton
Definitely, but are there going to be any left? I thought they were being cast off to Metrobus. It's a shame because I've always thought they looked nicer than the Streetdeck, especially in the BH4 livery.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

First look at the new Regency livery from the recently updated fleet list. I quite like it apart from the awkward white line.


adl766.jpg
 
Last edited:

Park47515

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2022
Messages
201
Location
London
Definitely, but are there going to be any left? I thought they were being cast off to Metrobus. It's a shame because I've always thought they looked nicer than the Streetdeck, especially in the BH4 livery.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

First look at the new Regency livery from the recently updated fleet list. I quite like it apart from the awkward white line.


View attachment 181980
Interesting that there is no route information on this one, unlike the 12
 

stadler

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2023
Messages
3,304
Location
Horsley
Interesting that there is no route information on this one, unlike the 12
It is possible that the livery is unfinished and they are yet to add the route information to the branding. There is plenty of blank space where it could go. Or alternatively maybe they have avoided route branding in case the 28 and 29 get changed again.
 

buslad1988

Member
Joined
28 Dec 2018
Messages
652
Definitely, but are there going to be any left? I thought they were being cast off to Metrobus. It's a shame because I've always thought they looked nicer than the Streetdeck, especially in the BH4 livery.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

First look at the new Regency livery from the recently updated fleet list. I quite like it apart from the awkward white line.


View attachment 181980
Actually love that livery. Much more toned down from the previous one.

However those seats are going to badly fade quickly!
 

busesrusuk

Member
Joined
19 May 2020
Messages
418
Location
London
Actually love that livery. Much more toned down from the previous one.

However those seats are going to badly fade quickly!
As it happens, I paid a visit to Brighton yesterday, I didn't think the current Regency livery was that great (a bit sombre IMO) - the new livery looks quite smart (maybe there will be additional route branding vinyls?). Its always interesting to visit a fleet when the livery is in transition, you can compare and contrast. I actually quite like the new B&H livery - nice, bright and vibrant.

Some pictures here for anyone interested...

 
Joined
12 Feb 2024
Messages
63
Location
Brighton
I like the fundamental idea of the new standard B&H livery, and the colours are divine, but the actual execution of it seems a bit amateurish around the edges. I love the current Regency livery, but not against a change and pleasantly surprised with this one, I just don't like the awkward white line down the side (and the Regency logo doesn't look great now). One thing I do love is that it fits nicely with the Coaster livery; both are a variation of each other, just using different imagery/colours, which makes it obvious they're different routes for the same company (unlike the previous Coaster/Regency livery).
 

b5tlgem2

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2024
Messages
37
Location
Brighton
... (unlike the previous Coaster/Regency livery).
but Bh4 Regency (but if you mean the full purple livery you have a point but that's only been used for 3-ish years) and the previous coaster livery are just variations of the past Bh4 livery, just with different colours
Didn't they just do the exact same sort of thing with the new livery? They also disconnected quite from the normal livery compared to the below: https://www.flickr.com/photos/27204054@N07/48264228132
are the old liveries, they have a connection in design and resemble the same company.

https://history.buses.co.uk/history/fleethist/images/adl766.jpg and https://www.flickr.com/photos/94467101@N02/53887176693/in/pool-2885346@N20/ are very similar and you have a point there that they are variants of each other but they absolutely cannot be associated with the new standard bh5 livery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94467101@N02/54569226205/in/pool-2885346@N20/
I personally think they did a better job connecting the coaster/regency brandings to the standard livery back then. (Also why did they change the Regency logo, looks a bit oversimplified and doesn't feel very "Regency" )
*Photos are NOT mine
 
Joined
12 Feb 2024
Messages
63
Location
Brighton
but Bh4 Regency (but if you mean the full purple livery you have a point but that's only been used for 3-ish years) and the previous coaster livery are just variations of the past Bh4 livery, just with different colours
Didn't they just do the exact same sort of thing with the new livery? They also disconnected quite from the normal livery compared to the below: https://www.flickr.com/photos/27204054@N07/48264228132
are the old liveries, they have a connection in design and resemble the same company.

https://history.buses.co.uk/history/fleethist/images/adl766.jpg and https://www.flickr.com/photos/94467101@N02/53887176693/in/pool-2885346@N20/ are very similar and you have a point there that they are variants of each other but they absolutely cannot be associated with the new standard bh5 livery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94467101@N02/54569226205/in/pool-2885346@N20/
I personally think they did a better job connecting the coaster/regency brandings to the standard livery back then. (Also why did they change the Regency logo, looks a bit oversimplified and doesn't feel very "Regency" )
*Photos are NOT mine
For me I think having Coaster/Regency as almost a completely stand-alone brand works well, even if it's not a variation of the standard livery, but what hasn't worked for the last 3+ years is that any impact is lost as they've been running so many liveries together (especially as they gave up on rolling out the new Regency livery). But what I do like is that both the Coaster and Regency are now a variation on each other's theme, so compliment each other nicely as independent route liveries - should look great in places like Eastbourne where they run together.

You're 100% right about the Regency logo. I think it's fine to update it, but it's probably the most plain and cliched font they could have chosen which is a shame.
 

b5tlgem2

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2024
Messages
37
Location
Brighton
... but what hasn't worked for the last 3+ years is that any impact is lost as they've been running so many liveries together (especially as they gave up on rolling out the new Regency livery)...
I wonder when all the buses in Brighton are going to be in the new livery? When are they going to repaint the dual door streetdeck, especially the low height ones?
Honestly they could have just kept the old Regency logo, but I think why they chose the plain font is because it's the same font as the coaster
Although I think Brighton & Hove bus livery situation is better than companies like First which has way too many colours.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,124
Although I think Brighton & Hove bus livery situation is better than companies like First which has way too many colours.
At the end of the day, will the new livery / liveries attract more passengers?
 

b5tlgem2

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2024
Messages
37
Location
Brighton
At the end of the day, will the new livery / liveries attract more passengers?
Perhaps, but it might make things more confusing like how there's gonna be temporarily 3 Regency liveries since the new Regency buses enter service. And the fact that there is currently 3 liveries that could be used for anything and can be mixed up in routes like cream and red, turquoise and teal and the live & breath/ above & beyond liveries. The vibrancy of the colours may attract passengers but the confusion between buses and the inconsistency of bus liveries may lead the passengers away.

There's also the issues of odd workings, route specific buses are quite attractive and makes the route it's operating on special, like the 7, but sometimes some of the buses will go to other routes like the 5 or the 2 because it's hard to always maintain a specific group of buses on 1 specific route (not just Brighton). This will definitely cause passengers to leave or be confused with the bus network and use a alternative like car which we absolutely DO NOT want in Brighton. I think Brighton & Hove is trying fixing this issue by transferring all the branded Gemini 2s to other companies like Metrobus and Go north west and progressively unbranding the buses on the Route category, although coaster; Regency and 1X will still maintain branding I assume.

I guess it really just depends on the passengers' taste really.
 
Joined
12 Feb 2024
Messages
63
Location
Brighton
I think when it's done well, it's effective, at least for out-of-city routes like Coaster and Regency (and higher frequency routes like the Metro routes they used to have). It's a useful visual cue because people will recognise it as an established, easy-to-use service to Brighton rather than relying on having to look at the number on a generically liveried bus. I know when they started running the Regency route to Hailsham, at least a couple of people mentioned the new route to me having recognised the buses running around, but like you say, they've never really fulfilled this potential because of the mix of liveries and odd workings waters down this impact.

I think once they have replaced all the existing buses with the new liveried 400MMCs, along with the corresponding branding on the site, timetables etc, it will definitely make a difference and make bus travel more attractive to people.
 

b5tlgem2

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2024
Messages
37
Location
Brighton
I think once they have replaced all the existing buses with the new liveried 400MMCs, along with the corresponding branding on the site, timetables etc, it will definitely make a difference and make bus travel more attractive to people.
To be honest I think the fleet will be a bit boring in the future with almost every corner of Brighton having either a streetdeck or enviro400mmc as Brighton & Hove are definitely going to sell all of not most of the gemini 2s like they did with the omnidekkas, which is a shame as I liked the variety in Brighton back then.
Although yes it may be more attractive, bus spotting might become a bit uninteresting in Brighton

Also, a lot of bus enthusiasts don't really like the livery because they think its just a dull version of the Live & breath livery
You definitely have a point on making it more attractive to passengers though.
 

Park47515

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2022
Messages
201
Location
London
To be honest I think the fleet will be a bit boring in the future with almost every corner of Brighton having either a streetdeck or enviro400mmc as Brighton & Hove are definitely going to sell all of not most of the gemini 2s like they did with the omnidekkas, which is a shame as I liked the variety in Brighton back then.
Although yes it may be more attractive, bus spotting might become a bit uninteresting in Brighton

Also, a lot of bus enthusiasts don't really like the livery because they think its just a dull version of the Live & breath livery
You definitely have a point on making it more attractive to passengers though.
Why would they sell them, when they could move them to Crawley and and perhaps more importantly they still need a large number of them until the Electrics.
 
Joined
12 Feb 2024
Messages
63
Location
Brighton
To be honest I think the fleet will be a bit boring in the future with almost every corner of Brighton having either a streetdeck or enviro400mmc as Brighton & Hove are definitely going to sell all of not most of the gemini 2s like they did with the omnidekkas, which is a shame as I liked the variety in Brighton back then.
Although yes it may be more attractive, bus spotting might become a bit uninteresting in Brighton

Also, a lot of bus enthusiasts don't really like the livery because they think its just a dull version of the Live & breath livery
You definitely have a point on making it more attractive to passengers though.
Yeah completely appreciate that. I always liked how B&H had different buses for different routes. As a user I always liked having the Geminis on the Regency route (it provides a really consistent experience as a passenger), but in Brighton like you say there was always a huge mix of buses converging so in that respect we always had the best of both worlds; consistency (on routes) but a broad selection of buses across the fleet.

I actually really like the Live & Breathe livery, I like the punchier colours on the newest B&H livery, but the actual design itself is pretty mediocre. There are a lot of things I notice as a designer (too boring to mention here) that really bother me.
 

Hophead

Established Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
1,399
Brighton and Hove has, by a considerable margin, the highest bus use outside of London (well, Nottingham are close behind, but apart from that...). I can't see any evidence that passengers are driven away by differing liveries.
 

b5tlgem2

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2024
Messages
37
Location
Brighton
Why would they sell them, when they could move them to Crawley and and perhaps more importantly they still need a large number of them until the Electrics.
*Oops, forgot that Metrobus is technically Brighton & Hove, but it does feel like another company since the buses loses its name, kind of losing its uniqueness.

Speaking of which, should Metrobus vehicles have names on them like Brighton is doing?
 
Last edited:

that1pepfan

On Moderation
Joined
19 Oct 2022
Messages
537
Location
Brighton
*Oops, forgot that Metrobus is technically Brighton & Hove, but it does feel like another company since the buses loses its name, kind of losing its uniqueness.

Speaking of which, should Metrobus vehicles have names one them like Brighton is doing?
I wouldn't say that Crawley has enough famous/notable people to name a bus after, whereas Brighton is a city so. Unless you did the whole Metrobus network
 

b5tlgem2

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2024
Messages
37
Location
Brighton
I wouldn't say that Crawley has enough famous/notable people to name a bus after, whereas Brighton is a city so. Unless you did the whole Metrobus network
Couldn't there be people that are from Gatwick, Worthing, East Grinstead, horsham, Tunbridge Wells, a bit of Brighton and also commemorated drivers that could be named on buses? Metrobus does serve a lot of areas apart from Crawley.

Also you mentioned that pride 439 would become spirit 555.
Is there a source? Genuinely interested that it would turn into a Spirit of Sussex bus
 
Last edited:

Mollman

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2016
Messages
1,721
Location
Preston
Couldn't there be people that are from Gatwick, Worthing, East Grinstead, horsham, Tunbridge Wells, a bit of Brighton and also commemorated drivers that could be named on buses? Metrobus does serve a lot of areas apart from Crawley.

Also you mentioned that pride 439 would become spirit 555.
Is there a source? Genuinely interested that it would turn into a Spirit of Sussex bus
They could name one after 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells'
 

b5tlgem2

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2024
Messages
37
Location
Brighton
They could name one after 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells'
XD, Also Crawley is voted as one of the ten most depressing towns in the UK so "depression in Crawley" (sorry anyone from Crawley)
Also spotted some B9TLs on the coaster routes, I don't know if this is normal.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20250623_164632.jpg
    IMG_20250623_164632.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20250623_164710.jpg
    IMG_20250623_164710.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66

Top