• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton & Hove / Metrobus Discussion

700007

Established Member
Joined
6 May 2017
Messages
1,272
Location
Near a bunch of sheds that aren't 66s.
No official source and hearsay but there was a suggestion that Stagecoach weren't happy with Eastbourne and there is no space at Lewes Road or it's outstables because of increased PVR due to Conway Street rebuild.
Going off the hearsay, probably obvious as to why they didn't want the 54 coming out of Eastbourne!

I can only guess the 54 being at Newhaven is probably a temporary arrangement until the Conway Street rebuild is done, and then probably it will be moved to Lewes Road/Uckfield should they get the space. As you say, you can reduce the dead mileage and interwork both bus and driver duties far more efficiently operating out of Lewes Road / Uckfield.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Park47515

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2022
Messages
201
Location
London
Going off the hearsay, probably obvious as to why they didn't want the 54 coming out of Eastbourne!

I can only guess the 54 being at Newhaven is probably a temporary arrangement until the Conway Street rebuild is done, and then probably it will be moved to Lewes Road/Uckfield should they get the space. As you say, you can reduce the dead mileage and interwork both bus and driver duties far more efficiently operating out of Lewes Road / Uckfield.
I would agree with all of that.
All three branded Geminis have been replaced by e400s today as well, so I suspect they may be trying to do that a lot quicker than planned!
 

stadler

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2023
Messages
3,304
Location
Horsley
The funding for the 28 and 29 extensions to Hailsham and Heathfield runs out in March 2026 next year. Any idea what is likely to happen after then? Is it likely that B&H will run them entirely commercially or will ESCC provide extra funding? Hopefully it does not go back to the old frequencies of just one bus every couple hours like before.
 

Park47515

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2022
Messages
201
Location
London
The funding for the 28 and 29 extensions to Hailsham and Heathfield runs out in March 2026 next year. Any idea what is likely to happen after then? Is it likely that B&H will run them entirely commercially or will ESCC provide extra funding? Hopefully it does not go back to the old frequencies of just one bus every couple hours like before.
No insider knowledge, but the fact they bought new E400s and now run the Hailsham through to Eastbourne on a Sunday, I suggest means they should wash their face, potentially evenings would still need a little.

Anecdotally there does seem to be quite a significant increase in passenger numbers across the regency routes since the extension
 

Hophead

Established Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
1,399
The latest batch of Enviro400s have not been given names, and I see that BH5 repaints of the 2017 Streetdecks are also anonymous (despite what the fleetlist may say). Is this a new policy, does anybody know? Seems a shame if so.
 

nick291

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2024
Messages
449
Location
Bristol
Down in B&H for a few days and I have to say I'm impressed at the level of service B&H buses offer! Guessing the older B9TL's/B5LH's are not going to be repainted and moved on elsewhere instead?
 

nick291

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2024
Messages
449
Location
Bristol

stadler

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2023
Messages
3,304
Location
Horsley
So this came as a bit of a surprise to me --> https://www.linkedin.com/posts/ryan...g-milestone-activity-7393206454796701696-K9p-
It appears that the Coaster buses from Birch Road have moved into this new garage along with the Regency 54 buses from Newhaven.
That is certainly surprising to hear. I did not expect to see B&H open a new depot.

Where exactly is this depot? Does anyone have the road or address of the new depot?

I wonder if B&H might now expand further in the Eastbourne area. I could certainly see them taking over the 51 (Eastbourne - Hailsham - Heathfield - Tunbridge Wells) especially as Stagecoach have reduced this service a lot recently and seem to have less interest in the more rural Wealden routes.

I presume this means that B&H will completely stop using the Stagecoach depot in Eastbourne as an outstation? I also wonder if this depot is replacing Newhaven or it is in addition to this?

I also note that there are a couple workings on the 12/12A/12X and 14/14A/14B/14C out of Whitehawk depot so i presume this may give more space to allow them to transfer these to Eastbourne or Newhaven and give Whitehawk more space for Brighton routes. It shall be interesting to see what happens with the workings.
 

DGP

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2024
Messages
125
Location
London
That is certainly surprising to hear. I did not expect to see B&H open a new depot.

Where exactly is this depot? Does anyone have the road or address of the new depot?

I wonder if B&H might now expand further in the Eastbourne area. I could certainly see them taking over the 51 (Eastbourne - Hailsham - Heathfield - Tunbridge Wells) especially as Stagecoach have reduced this service a lot recently and seem to have less interest in the more rural Wealden routes.

I presume this means that B&H will completely stop using the Stagecoach depot in Eastbourne as an outstation? I also wonder if this depot is replacing Newhaven or it is in addition to this?

I also note that there are a couple workings on the 12/12A/12X and 14/14A/14B/14C out of Whitehawk depot so i presume this may give more space to allow them to transfer these to Eastbourne or Newhaven and give Whitehawk more space for Brighton routes. It shall be interesting to see what happens with the workings.
After a bit of research (well, I searched Facebook), it's in Birch Close not far from Birch Road and it used to be a JM Waste Management depot.
 

stadler

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2023
Messages
3,304
Location
Horsley
After a bit of research (well, I searched Facebook), it's in Birch Close not far from Birch Road and it used to be a JM Waste Management depot.
Ah thank you. That is about a one or two minute walk from the Stagecoach depot. The same exact industrial estate. I wonder whether B&H will extend more daytime journeys to and from the depot (currently only early morning and late evening journeys are) for driver changeovers.
 

700007

Established Member
Joined
6 May 2017
Messages
1,272
Location
Near a bunch of sheds that aren't 66s.
Given the huge PVR increase that would have come with the September changes (new 3X and return of the 25X) as well as an extension to the 23 route, I presume space at Lewes Road is at such a premium at the moment hence the want for the new Eastbourne depot. As said up thread, they can move a couple of Coaster/Regency buses there and free up space at Whitehawk and Newhaven for the town routes. Am I right in thinking Eastbourne Sightseeing is also moving in here as well?

Is Uckfield outstation still being used?
 

Park47515

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2022
Messages
201
Location
London
Given the huge PVR increase that would have come with the September changes (new 3X and return of the 25X) as well as an extension to the 23 route, I presume space at Lewes Road is at such a premium at the moment hence the want for the new Eastbourne depot. As said up thread, they can move a couple of Coaster/Regency buses there and free up space at Whitehawk and Newhaven for the town routes. Am I right in thinking Eastbourne Sightseeing is also moving in here as well?

Is Uckfield outstation still being used?
I believe eventually Eastbourne sightseeing will move in yes.
And yes Uckfield is still in use
 

duncombec

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2014
Messages
1,160
Where exactly is this depot? Does anyone have the road or address of the new depot?
After a bit of research (well, I searched Facebook), it's in Birch Close not far from Birch Road and it used to be a JM Waste Management depot.
From https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/view-details/licence/20176, the address is 2a & 2b BIRCH CLOSE, EASTBOURNE, BN23 6PE, GB, for up to 18 vehicles.

I wonder if B&H might now expand further in the Eastbourne area. I could certainly see them taking over the 51 (Eastbourne - Hailsham - Heathfield - Tunbridge Wells) especially as Stagecoach have reduced this service a lot recently and seem to have less interest in the more rural Wealden routes.
One might argue the service has been reduced because it matches the usage! Otherwise, this is pure speculation.

I presume this means that B&H will completely stop using the Stagecoach depot in Eastbourne as an outstation? I also wonder if this depot is replacing Newhaven or it is in addition to this?
Any changes will appear in N&P and on the above website once they are registered. At the moment they both are, but presumably that's because caution suggests you shouldn't deregister one site before you've registered another (especially if a replacement).
 

Simon75

On Moderation
Joined
25 May 2016
Messages
1,528
Looks like the new depot stores quite a few buses indoors, which seems unusual these days
 

Park47515

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2022
Messages
201
Location
London
Ed Wills will be leaving Brighton for Go South Coast on the 1st of January. Very big shoes for him to fill there.
https://gosouthcoast.co.uk/news/view/go-south-coast-to-welcome-new-managing-director

Ed Wills will join Go South Coast as its new managing director on 1 January 2026, Go-Ahead has announced.



Bringing a wealth of experience, and a proven track record of leadership, Ed returns to Go South Coast, where he was operations director between 2010 and 2018.



He has also served as a managing director at Go-Ahead Ireland and as managing director for Bus Commercial Development at Go-Ahead Group.



Ed returns to Go South Coast from Brighton & Hove Buses and Metrobus, where he has been managing director since 2021. During that time, he has strengthened the reputation of the company, overseen significant growth and driven the highest standards of accessibility – an area where the operator is widely recognised as an industry leader.



Ed succeeds Ben Murray, who has served as Interim managing director since the passing of Andrew Wickham MBE in May 2025. Ben will return to his role as finance director at Go South Coast when Ed arrives in January.
 

8ace

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2019
Messages
321
Location
Brighton
Big queues of buses at Old Steine stop S1 (formerly U) the last few weeks, hope it improves when the works are complete.
Anyone know the plan for the former tram shelters in front of the pavilion - there won't be buses stopping there if I've read the plans correctly?
 

Park47515

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2022
Messages
201
Location
London
Big queues of buses at Old Steine stop S1 (formerly U) the last few weeks, hope it improves when the works are complete.
Anyone know the plan for the former tram shelters in front of the pavilion - there won't be buses stopping there if I've read the plans correctly?
At least one was in the original Valley Gardens plans designed to be converted to a coffee shop subject to planning.
 

DaveHarries

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2011
Messages
2,576
Location
England

Hophead

Established Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
1,399
He leaves before all the buses have been repainted into the turquoise livery! Wonder if the next boss will feel compelled to impose their own preferred colour scheme.
 

8ace

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2019
Messages
321
Location
Brighton
At least one was in the original Valley Gardens plans designed to be converted to a coffee shop subject to planning.
I hope so, the west side of the project has generally improved. The east side is probably a bit worse but wasn’t great to start with. Trying to cross the road at Grand Parade can take ages.
 

Hophead

Established Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
1,399
There is a bus fire on Southgate Avenue in Crawley. Video footage on The Argus suggests that it is a Kite Hydroliner, likely to be 6069 on route 10 going from Bus Times tracking. Services in the area are diverted and of course, delayed.
 

Aaron2004

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2025
Messages
10
Location
Crawley
There is a bus fire on Southgate Avenue in Crawley. Video footage on The Argus suggests that it is a Kite Hydroliner, likely to be 6069 on route 10 going from Bus Times tracking. Services in the area are diverted and of course, delayed.
6069 has been completely destroyed as of now, all passengers evacuated and safe.
What the next question is, how will metrobus respond? If they take the hdyroliners out of service then that would knock out routes 10/20/100/420/430/435/460.
If they do get a replacement bus, a diesel replacement would not surprise me now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Park47515

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2022
Messages
201
Location
London
A lot will depend on what caused the fire, if it was for instance vandalism, I wouldn't expect them to be removed from service.
That the rest of the fleet is in service at the moment I would say is instructive.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,128
That bus is completely destroyed! The hydrogen cylinders are no more, but there doesn't appear, thankfully, to be any explosions.
 

Jim

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,490
Location
Wick
There is increasingly often appearances of the Regency B9s (422 433 434) on the 12, I assume this is shipping them to / from Newhaven for maintenance / break downs as much as anything?

422 had 3 different in service failures it appeared on Saturday.

--

Down at the Old Steine, things seem to be flowing slightly better recently it seems, I overheard a driver the other day saying the light sequences had been changed slightly. Although of course, service 18 still often seems to get lost mileage as a result of late running, a route that must be the biggest headache for punctuality of them all surely?
 

Top