• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Breaking transfer journey in London

Status
Not open for further replies.

plothi

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2013
Messages
15
If I am transferring across London on a ticket with a dagger symbol, I know that I can break my journey and leave the Underground (but not get back on) at an intermediate station.

However, what is the definition of an intermediate station? Between any two London termini, there are often various routes available, so are there rules about which routes are valid (and therefore which stations are on those routes and by definition 'intermediate')?

More specifically, if I take a train arriving and King's Cross and I can subsequently leave London from Charing Cross on the same ticket, is it legitimate to transfer via Met/Circle to Baker Street, then Bakerloo to Charing Cross? And would it then be acceptable to break the journey at Baker Street?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lightbulb

Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
452
In practise, a ticket from, say, Luton to Slough will work the underground ticket barriers at any London Terminal, so although not the intention, it could be used to travel between Kings Cross St Pancras and Charing Cross, at which point the underground validity would cease. You could, of course, resume your journey from Paddington to Slough. In your example, you could travel from Kings Cross to Baker Street, and "break journey" there, but as far the underground travel is concerned, your underground journey has ended, and you would have to pay from Baker Street to Charing Cross. As far as the route taken is concerned, whilst the rules say "by any reasonable route", you could in practise travel between Kings Cross and Charing Cross via Baker Street if you wished. I would expect that you could only "break" your underground journey in a Zone 1 station.
 
Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
I don't believe the LU barriers generally understand the concept of an appropriate London Terminal for your overall route, and they certainly aren't programmed with National Rail routing info. They just look for the cross London marker, and if present that will let you in once and then out once at any of of the LU stations listed on NR's page here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46587.aspx#travelling_connect

As the NRES instructions explain it:

Tickets displaying this indicator are valid for travel between any two stations shown in the ‘Station List' (below) appropriate to the route of the through journey being made.

So although probably not an appropriate route, in my experience the gates at Baker St will let you out with no problem - it is only when you try to get out of an LU station not on the linked list that you would expect an interesting discussion with the LU gateline staff if not following an 'appropriate route'.

In the unlikely event of revenue staff checking you en route between Kings Cross and Baker St just tell them you are taking the Circle Line all the way round. They wouldn't quibble about that.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
So although probably not an appropriate route, in my experience the gates at Baker St will let you out with no problem - it is only when you try to get out of an LU station not on the linked list that you would expect an interesting discussion with the LU gateline staff if not following an 'appropriate route'.

I have been questioned at Regent's Park when travelling from Paddington to Euston, and deciding instead of changing at Oxford Circus to walk the last bit. They did let me out, but not before some discussion.

Neil
 

plothi

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2013
Messages
15
Thank you for the replies, very helpful.

Is circle line really a suitable route from King's Cross to Charing Cross? Firstly, Charing Cross isn't on the circle line (I assume Embankment is nearby?) and the obvious place to change (if using the circle line at all) is Baker Street. Also, taking the circle line around that way, you'd have to change at Edware Road/Paddington.

Basically, I don't need to travel beyond London, but it's cheaper to get a ticket to a destination on the other side of London (and then travel short) than to get one to London.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,466
In that case can you not get a ticket to somewhere like Acton Main Line so that Baker Street is more obviously en route, or would that be more expensive?
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Thank you for the replies, very helpful.

Is circle line really a suitable route from King's Cross to Charing Cross? Firstly, Charing Cross isn't on the circle line (I assume Embankment is nearby?) ...

Sorry, yes I was treating Embankment LU and Charing Cross NR as a logical interchange without explicitly saying so.
 

thebigcheese

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2012
Messages
165
Interestingly 7.3.1 of the fares guide states:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1315636&postcount=4 said:
It is permitted to finish your transfer short at any Underground station in zone 1 ....

Haven't seen a source for this fact though?
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Interestingly 7.3.1 of the fares guide states:

Haven't seen a source for this fact though?

I wonder if the author may have assumed that all cross London transfer routes are between main line termini, and therefore in zone 1 by default; of course the NRES list tells a different story.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,743
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
You'll often have a "discussion" if you're not at the relevant London Terminal, though. I've had a "discussion" at Warren Street before when I've been heading across London from Victoria to Euston (via the Bree Louise, but shhh).

This seems to be a general training issue on LU - training staff that tickets with a Maltese cross are valid to enter at a mainline terminus and exit only at any other Zone 1 location plus other specific rail-relevant locations is hardly difficult.

Neil
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,478
Location
Yorkshire
It's on NRE at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46587.aspx

You'll often have a "discussion" if you're not at the relevant London Terminal, though. I've had a "discussion" at Warren Street before when I've been heading across London from Victoria to Euston (via the Bree Louise, but shhh).
The discussion can be brief, given that they are not permitted to detain you, and they have virtually no revenue training, and that the rule allowing you to exit intermediately is in the ticketing handbook. If they have access to it, then that will confirm you're right. And if they can't be bothered to read it, or don't have access to it, then they'll have to concede. I do think that CSAs are paid far too much though, they get several grand more than my job, for which I can't just make stuff up as I go along!:roll:
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
It's on NRE at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46587.aspx

You'll often have a "discussion" if you're not at the relevant London Terminal, though. I've had a "discussion" at Warren Street before when I've been heading across London from Victoria to Euston (via the Bree Louise, but shhh).

Ah, yes. The "discussion" at Warren Street. It once took me about half an hour to get out of that place (on principle - after ten minutes, I wasn't going to have more of my time wasted doubling back and walking from Euston).

After that happened, I gave (someone whom I believe was) a station supervisor a photocopy of the NRE guidance, and funnily enough I never had any further issues. I'm not 100% sure if that was coincidence.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,478
Location
Yorkshire
https://uk.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/18492977

£30,079 per annum (yes, really!)

how some applicants interpret the job advert said:
If you get a real buzz from frustrating people and are passionate about inconveniencing customers, come help us demonstrate that “every journey is a chore”, and ensure that our customers remain at the periphery of everything we do here at London Underground. Not only will you enjoy an insanely high salary and benefits package –you will also be part of a team committed to terrible service delivery.

The role


You will be our public face: proactively inconveniencing customers, misleading them on their journeys with inaccurate information whilst providing an unwelcoming presence throughout the station. Not only will you disregard the individual needs of all our customers, especially those with special requirements, you will provide inconsistent levels of service throughout a busy day, ensuring that every customer feels unvalued, making their journeys slower, harder and stressful. You will cause potentially dangerous or hazardous situations and maximise delays by ensuring customers exit stations slowly. Every day will bring more awkward customers and no two will ever be the same.

Note - I am not saying that's what they're all like! Far from it! But there are a significant minority who are like that, and it really annoys me that they get such a huge salary - many thousands in excess of that of responsible positions in the North - and yet treat people so badly.

Your experience is not unique by any means as I've experienced such fatcats on their £30k salary being rude and obstructive to customers on several occasions!

I wonder if management are too scared (of unions) to carry out appropriate 'mystery shopping' to ensure that staff are appropriately trained and acting in accordance of the job description (rather than the complete opposite of it, in some cases).

Did you bill them for 30 minutes of your time?
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,630
Location
Isle of Man
Ah, yes. The "discussion" at Warren Street. It once took me about half an hour to get out of that place

Was about ten minutes for me (well, t'missus, as I have an annual outboundary Travelcard). I wouldn't have minded but it was quite recently, when TfL were recommending people use Warren Street instead of Euston due to escalator works.
 
Last edited:

talldave

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
2,687
I've found that ticket barriers at Vauxhall happily open with a "maltese cross" ticket whereas those at Warren Street don't and you have to enter into a long discussion about break of journey with the barrier staff.
 

MichaelAMW

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2010
Messages
1,021
I've always assumed that this was a concession to allow passengers to make a choice of how they get between the main line termini, if there is a convenient alternative that involves a short walk. E.g. Liverpool St to Paddington is done most quickly by getting the Central line to Lancaster Gate. It has, in the past but less so now, also been the remedy to some of the long intervals that used to occur on the H&C/Circle.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
I've found that ticket barriers at Vauxhall happily open with a "maltese cross" ticket whereas those at Warren Street don't and you have to enter into a long discussion about break of journey with the barrier staff.

But that's exactly what you'd expect, because Vauxhall (NR) is a listed 'cross London transfer' station, so of course you'd expect the LU barriers to open; Warren St is not.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top