• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of journey within station group

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyR

Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
244
Location
Preston
I have a ticket from Preston to MCR (Manchester Stations) and then onward from Piccadilly to Euston. Can I break my journey within the MCR station group? I want to get off at Deansgate to do something then carry on to Piccadilly or is it exhausted at the first statiion within the group that I exit?

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
It depends entirely on the exact ticket or tickets you have. Some allow break of journey, some don’t.

If it allows it then it should be allowed but gatelines sometimes swallow tickets and staff sometimes swallow their training documents before reading them.
 

TonyR

Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
244
Location
Preston
It depends entirely on the exact ticket or tickets you have. Some allow break of journey, some don’t.

If it allows it then it should be allowed but gatelines sometimes swallow tickets and staff sometimes swallow their training documents before reading them.
Sorry I should have said. It’s the return half of an off-peak return and it’s an eticket so no gate swallowing to worry about, not that there are any gates at Deansgate.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,169
Location
Wilmslow
It’s valid, but the barriers might reject it, if so you’ll have to find a human to let you through if it’s a Preston-London ticket. If it’s Preston-Manchester then should be fine.
Note that Deansgate is closed Friday & Saturday evenings.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Sorry I should have said. It’s the return half of an off-peak return and it’s an eticket so no gate swallowing to worry about, not that there are any gates at Deansgate.

The lack of a gateline at Deansgate and that guards don't do tickets between Deansgate and Picc means one would get away with this whether it was allowed or not, but if there are RPIs on duty at Deansgate I can't see them letting you in whether it should be OK or not. What ticket does the OP have from Piccadilly to Euston? If it's an interavailable Off Peak or Anytime, it would be valid for them to start their journey at Deansgate on that rather than play with technicalities.
 

TonyR

Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
244
Location
Preston
The lack of a gateline at Deansgate and that guards don't do tickets between Deansgate and Picc means one would get away with this whether it was allowed or not, but if there are RPIs on duty at Deansgate I can't see them letting you in whether it should be OK or not. What ticket does the OP have from Piccadilly to Euston? If it's an interavailable Off Peak or Anytime, it would be valid for them to start their journey at Deansgate on that rather than play with technicalities.
They are two separate tickets. Preston to Manchester on an Off-Peak Return and then Piccadilly to Euston on an Advance Single. The Preston to MCR ticket bought on here does say on the details an arrival time in Piccadilly, so I assume implicit in that is that I can break the journey before Piccadilly. The reason for asking here is there are often RPIs at Deansgate and I would like to know how to respond if they say I can’t rejoin to Piccadilly.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
They are two separate tickets. Preston to Manchester on an Off-Peak Return and then Piccadilly to Euston on an Advance Single. The Preston to MCR ticket bought on here does say on the details an arrival time in Piccadilly, so I assume implicit in that is that I can break the journey before Piccadilly. The reason for asking here is there are often RPIs at Deansgate and I would like to know how to respond if they say I can’t rejoin to Piccadilly.

Depending where you'd be on Deansgate the best bet may be to take a tram or the free city centre bus to Piccadilly. A single from Deansgate to Piccadilly is an outrageous £3 (unjustifiably high, but maybe deliberately so to discourage its use for short faring given few will be sold?) so this is probably not recommended.

Knowing the competence (or lack thereof) and pettiness of Northern's RPIs and prosecutions department this is not one I would attempt to argue even if it technically is valid to do this. It's not worth a tram fare (or a free bus ride) to me to deal with any resulting hassle.

Ending at Deansgate would be OK on a walk up fare whether break of journey was OK or not as it is a member of Manchester Stations. I have however looked and BoJ is permitted on that fare.
 

nwales58

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2022
Messages
1,365
Location
notsure
Depending where on Deansgate: free bus towards Piccadilly is only the 1 at John Dalton Street currently, then goes up King Street.
Tram is 1.40 single, 1.90 off-peak day ticket anywhere in zone 1.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top