• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of journey on NIR?

campdave

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2026
Messages
29
Location
Morecambe
Visiting family in Northern Ireland next week and it's some time since I used Translink.

My partner will be working in a Belfast office and my plan is to take the train from Lisburn to Helen's Bay (off peak return) and walk down to Holywood and then catch the train back to Belfast, meet her, and then have a meal before returning back to Lisburn.

All OK on a return ticket, or should I be looking at something else?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

redreni

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2010
Messages
2,715
Location
Slade Green
I've heard split ticketing is expressly disallowed, but not sure about starting short. As most stations are ungated, I doubt anybody would notice or mind if you did this, but hopefully somebody more familiar with TransLink can chime in?
 

Tram203

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2024
Messages
151
Location
Always Changing
I visited a friend in Belfast last month, and on one day we took a trip out to Larne.

Outbound we did Grand Central to Larne Harbour as a single journey, on our return to Grand Central we broke our journey at multiple stations.

We each held a paper day return from Grand Central to Larne Harbour with a QR code, and despite the numerous journey legs and scans we were never challenged or told breaks of journey are prohibited, nor did we have any trouble exiting the ticket gates at Grand Central at the end of the day.
 

bangor-toad

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2009
Messages
672
Hi,
Translink tickets don't allow for break of journey.

That said, some parts of the system are very relaxed. Stopping off along one of the branches multiple times to have a look around as mentioned by Tram203 will be fine. Taking a break at the Belfast stations where there are tickets barriers and scanners may be more challenging.

I would recommend getting an iLink card though. A Zone 1 iLink will cost £11 per day. That compares with £9.60 off peak or £14 peak for a Lisburn to Helens Bay return.

As for starting short that's nothing to worry about. A lot of people will do what to you're describing so that they can enjoy the walk.
What I might suggest though is that you travel one station further to Carnalea. The access from that station to the coast path is much easier and shorter than from Helens Bay.

Have a nice day out!
Mr Toad
 

campdave

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2026
Messages
29
Location
Morecambe
Thanks for the advice. I may take the Carnalea approach.

I've had a quick look at the translink website... presumably with Lisburn being a manned station I could buy an iLink card there? (left it too late to buy online)
 
Last edited:

drueberflug

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2025
Messages
153
Location
Germany
I would recommend getting an iLink card though. A Zone 1 iLink will cost £11 per day. That compares with £9.60 off peak or £14 peak for a Lisburn to Helens Bay return.
I'd advise the same, however, a Belfast Visitor Pass costs exactly the same (and gets treated like an iLink Z1 pass), just that the Visitor version comes with discounts attached at some (rather pricy) attractions such as the Titanic Museum.
 

Top