• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of journey at Shadwell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
12 Oct 2021
Messages
159
Location
Essex
Hi all
if I have an off peak ticket from Chelmsford to Oxted, does anyone know if I can break and then continue my journey at Shadwell? I know that with the tube I can break and not restart my journey at the same station, but is London Overground different?
Many thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,174
Location
Wilmslow
London Overground is different, although you might find that staff at Shadwell don’t know this.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,816
Location
UK
NRE offers itineraries for through fares via Shadwell (changing at Stratford, Whitechapel, Norwood Junction etc.) so it's a permitted route. In fact I think it's the shortest possible route - although the mileage data doesn't reflect that as the Elizabeth line 'core' is deliberately omitted.

As there are no break of journey restrictions on any of the tickets for that journey, you're entitled to break your journey at any intermediate station along a permitted route, such as Shadwell.

In practice you may encounter difficulties, especially when trying to re-enter, because a lot of TfL barrier staff seem to think that Tube/Zonal ticketing rules - which don't allow break of journey apply to all tickets.

If you are denied break of journey then I would simply tap in/out with a contactless card or device and then complain to TfL afterwards for a refund.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top