• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bread rolls with soup, popular in Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Hello all,

Having done many UK Coach touring I'm used to hotels offering bread rolls with soup on the starters. I've been to mainland Europe before but always eaten out so First time this week I've done a coach holiday to Austria with overnight hotel in Saarlouis, both hotels do soup for starters but no bread rolls, the one here in Austria seems to do some cruton style balls, but I assume bread rolls with soup isn't a thing in Europe?

Mind you finding normal English Breakfast tea instead of flavoured tea isn't easy either :lol:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamiescott1

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2019
Messages
1,116
Don't think I've ever had soup in Europe. Have a few times in North America where they serve it with crackers (like cheese biscuits)
 

Fragezeichnen

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2021
Messages
437
Location
Somewhere
Creamed soup is rarely seen, but lentil stew, gulasch, soljanka etc. is a common thing to eat, either with bread rolls or sliced bread.

At village festivals lentil stew is staple, usually served from a (literally) bomb-proof soup cauldron. Makes a nice alternative if you don't fancy Bratuwurst.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,714
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
At village festivals lentil stew is staple, usually served from a (literally) bomb-proof soup cacauldrt.
Genius! :D when I opened that link, I burst out laughing. Now I need to make space for one in the garage. ;)

On my Balkan travels in the second half of the 1990s, I ate a lentil stew out of an edible dough-based bowl akin to a giant seep-proof Yorkshire pudding. Very filling and actually rather good. Fatty liver, no doubt, though...
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,060
Location
St Albans
Genius! :D when I opened that link, I burst out laughing. Now I need to make space for one in the garage. ;)

On my Balkan travels in the second half of the 1990s, I ate a lentil stew out of an edible dough-based bowl akin to a giant seep-proof Yorkshire pudding. Very filling and actually rather good. Fatty liver, no doubt, though...
A similar thing is available in a delightful restaurant called 'Svarta Kaffid', in Reykjavik. They serve hearty soups in a hollowed out cob loaf. Excellent value and very warming when needed, (which is most of the time in Iceland).
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,036
Location
Up the creek
Gulaschkanon was the German forces’ nickname in World War II, and quite probably before, for a Mobile Field Kitchen.
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Sorry I did mean evening meals as part of 3 course meal (starter, main, dessert) so far every day there's two different soup options but no bread rolls to go with it, I've always liked mopping up the soup with the roll, no other bread option either, just thought maybe it's not a thing in Germany or Austria

Breakfast there are rolls as mentioned above yes maybe I could pinch one then!

Reminds me of breakfast at the Holiday Inn outside Amsterdam Schipol, the Chinese would stuff their bread rolls in cases and handbags, we used to call the China Southern flight the Breakfast Roll flight :lol:
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
There's me
Sorry I did mean evening meals as part of 3 course meal (starter, main, dessert) so far every day there's two different soup options but no bread rolls to go with it, I've always liked mopping up the soup with the roll, no other bread option either, just thought maybe it's not a thing in Germany or Austria

Breakfast there are rolls as mentioned above yes maybe I could pinch one then!

Reminds me of breakfast at the Holiday Inn outside Amsterdam Schipol, the Chinese would stuff their bread rolls in cases and handbags, we used to call the China Southern flight the Breakfast Roll flight :lol:
There's me thinking bread rolls were unique to these isles!
 

Acey

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2018
Messages
431
Had a bread roll with smoked bacon soup at some godforsaken hour in a service station on a German Autobahn !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top