NightatLaira
Member
- Joined
- 14 Jun 2010
- Messages
- 490
Looking through some old railway photos if seems these were quite common place during the winter months at northern major stations such as Perth, Carlisle, Dundee, etc. What phased then out? Was it the end of steam heating on trains, better insulation in pipes, the health and safety aspect of having a potentially unwatched fire burning away unchecked, warmer winters or something else?
I'm also curious about the night watchmen who tended these - were they just ordinary station night staff or was this a specific 'job' back then?
The most recent photo I can find of a brazier in action is in the winter of 1984 at Carlisle.
I'm also curious about the night watchmen who tended these - were they just ordinary station night staff or was this a specific 'job' back then?
The most recent photo I can find of a brazier in action is in the winter of 1984 at Carlisle.
Last edited: