Evening all it has been awhile hasn’t it but I am in the mood to do another trip report.
A couple of days ago I was looking at what places contained units that time was leaving behind when I found the existence of a West Dorset to Mid Devon bus route the X51 and so my mind was made it was to be Exeter.
19/10/2019
My day started with the alarm wailing at 10 past 6 in the morning and fast forward an hour all the absolutions had been completed and bag packed I was at Parkstone station purchasing my return to Dorchester South, dead on time a fairly empty 444 020 pulled in on the 07:19 to Weymouth which was swiftly boarded for the run down to Dorchester.
On arrival at Dorchester my chariot for the next stage of my journey was awaiting in the form of First Dorset Volvo Wright Eclipse Gemini 37998 with the 08:16 X51 to Axminster some 35 miles away, The bus was wonderfully comfortable considering it was a 6 year old First vehicle, with E leather coach spec seats and a couple of tables on the top deck. 08:16 came and off we went on our tour of the wonderful west Dorset coast and rural A roads until finally arriving at Axminster right time at about 5 to 10.
At Axminster I purchased my Devon Day Ranger and awaited the arrival of duds 159017 and 014 with the late running (Shock) 10:03 service to Exeter St David’s. My original plan had me taking these all the way to journeys end at St David’s then see what the power cars were on the down XC however due to the late running we would have arrived too late and so I decided to bail at Exeter Central and see what was on the following service to Paignton immediately behind.
Which was a rather good decision as what should turn up but one of my main targets for the day that of required 150 001 which was duly taken to Dawlish Warren clearing it for 10 miles in the process.
Having bailed off 150 001 I crossed under the line and made my way up to the up platform to await a additional train formed of a rather cosy but required 150 219 to take me to Exeter St David’s where upon arrival I was greeted by the sight of this odd looking class 50.
After I had enjoyed the sight of the 50 (and secretly hoped my train home would be hauled by it) I jumped on required 150 239 for the 62 chain hop to Exeter Central where I was not here for long as my second target arrived that of 143 612 my last required GWR bus 143 612 and required 150 265 rolled in with the 12:20 service to Barnstaple which was dully taken back down the hill. Not content with a measly 62 chains I elected to get as much as possible off of the green machine.
After bailing off 143 612 at Exeter St David’s I did a bit of filming including the absolutely filthy 66 168 on RHTT duties
An hour later required 150s 150 207 and 243 rolled in with the 13:30 service to Barnstaple this quiet pairing were taken up to the calm request stop of Morchard Road
Where I had a quick look around before heading back to flag down recently dudifyed 143 612 on the 14:16 service down to Exmouth after waiting for the up service to pass at Crediton I had a chat with the guard who alluded to the fact that GWR may still keep some of their pacers after January 2020.
Arrival at Exeter St David’s was on time at 14:51 where I decided to fit in a filler move while waiting for the SWR service. Which involved duds 143621 and 150 232 on the 14:59 service to Exeter St Thomas and 150 219 on a service back to St David where I arrived 16 minutes after I left.
Over to Platform 1 and WH Smith it was before boarding double winners 159 104 and 159 013 on the 15:25 service towards Waterloo.
On arrival at Axminster I was greeted by First Dorset Gemini 37584 which would be forming my 16:15 X51 al the way to Dorchester unlike 37998 it was a 08 plate Volvo and so was not specified with coach seats which meant it was a rather uncomfortable but un notable run down to Dorchester (apart from the lovely sunset over the sea at Lyme Regis and the shadows of the hills).
On arrival at Dorchester I was faced with a cold and deserted platform until 444 041 arrived with the 18:13 service to Parkstone with 041 being pushed up to 75 miles by the time Parkstone came around.
All in all It was a rather nice break from the monotony of course work and allowed me to grab my two most pressing needs in the South West of which the 150/0s I believe are going to be gifted to Norther at some stage. The inclusion of the bus I felt allowed me to appreciate the scenery more and break up the journey however at £9 return for the bus alone I doubt I will go to Devon that way for a while.