• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brake tender recreation B964122

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
Has anyone else seen the recent photos of this very interesting project to recreate a diesel brake tender?
It's being built by Railway Vehicle Preservations to run on the Great Central (the perfect setting too).
Based on a shortened mk1 underframe, I think it looks excellent (I'd link the site if I knew how to do such things, maybe someone else could?).
Looking forward to seeing some pictures of it running with Peak D123 and a rake of mineral wagons on a grey misty morning (preferably in black and white :)).

Well done to everyone involved in this. The photos below are from their website.

I never saw the original brake tenders in use but does anyone on the here have any operational memories of them?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1553.JPG
    IMG_1553.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1554.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Joined
21 Jun 2013
Messages
1,700
I spent my latter childhood across the road from Trowell Jn, and these were a regular feature with the early Peaks on unfitted freight.
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
I can just about remember seeing them pass by here occasionally when I was in my pre-teens. This route (Heaton Norris Junc.- Denton Junc.) was 4 tracked up until 1971 approximately and we used to get a great (to close for comfort for some) view of anything passing by here on the old up/down slow lines on which the brake tenders more often seemed to be from memory. I can't accurately say what types of traction they used to work with as I seem to remember them working with locomotives that had nose ends mainly but also with flat fronts so I'm guessing 37s & 47s? I'm presuming these trains were originated/destined for mainly the likes of Healey Mills in Yorkshire but if anyone could enlighten me more on this I would be most appreciative.
 

markindurham

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2011
Messages
390
Has anyone else seen the recent photos of this very interesting project to recreate a diesel brake tender?
It's being built by Railway Vehicle Preservations to run on the Great Central (the perfect setting too).
Based on a shortened mk1 underframe, I think it looks excellent (I'd link the site if I knew how to do such things, maybe someone else could?).
Looking forward to seeing some pictures of it running with Peak D123 and a rake of mineral wagons on a grey misty morning (preferably in black and white :)).

Well done to everyone involved in this. The photos below are from their website.

I never saw the original brake tenders in use but does anyone on the here have any operational memories of them?

Here you go :)
http://www.rvp-ltd.org.uk/projectx/
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
Thanks Mark (it's all witchcraft).
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,024
There was quite a long article about the re-creation project in February's Railway Magazine (p28-32).
 

Flying Phil

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2016
Messages
2,086
I wonder if this vehicle will make its first public appearance at next weekends "Goods Galore" event on the GCR May 6/7th?
 

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
It's quite an authentic looking recreation. I'm impressed by the skill of the RVP. What were the "real" brake tenders built on? Was it also Mark 1 underframes?
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
It's quite an authentic looking recreation. I'm impressed by the skill of the RVP. What were the "real" brake tenders built on? Was it also Mark 1 underframes?

On the original link it says they used ex LMS & LNER underframes & bogies.

Yes I've got books in my collection showing pictures of the original vehicles fitted with both LMS and Gresley style bogies.
 
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
85
in dimly lit yards at night they were a signalmans nightmare especially working without track circuiting trains came in from healey mills with class 37s and the brake tender was either trailing or propelled very often you thought locos were clear of points however very often on trying to reverse points you found that something was fouling the points then you realised Oh' damm must have brake tender attached I don't recall any being derailed though,class 37s displayed 4character headcode but if brake tender was being propelled the headcode would be exstinquished but the headcode would be displayed at the front of brake tender with the old style oil lamps?any locos running light with brake tender trailing or propelling had to have a lamp fitted at front for leng headcode or tailamp at rear,hope this replica has headlamp brackets fitted.
 
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
in dimly lit yards at night they were a signalmans nightmare especially working without track circuiting trains came in from healey mills with class 37s and the brake tender was either trailing or propelled very often you thought locos were clear of points however very often on trying to reverse points you found that something was fouling the points then you realised Oh' damm must have brake tender attached I don't recall any being derailed though,class 37s displayed 4character headcode but if brake tender was being propelled the headcode would be exstinquished but the headcode would be displayed at the front of brake tender with the old style oil lamps?any locos running light with brake tender trailing or propelling had to have a lamp fitted at front for leng headcode or tailamp at rear,hope this replica has headlamp brackets fitted.

Very interesting post thank you.
Yes they seem to have fitted it with all the brackets (there's a photo of it at the beginning of the thread).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top