• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradford to Liverpool - Valid Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,880
Hi All,

I am planning on using a Northern complimentary return ticket to visit Liverpool. I was wondering whether travel via Wigan or Preston then Wigan would be valid.

If anyone who understands the routing guide can let me know, I would be most grateful.

Thank you!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,133
Location
Wilmslow
Per map VN at https://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps
1720524493016.png
Plus shortest route, or route within 3 miles of this, in the unlikely but not impossible event that the shortest route isn't covered on this map.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I am planning on using a Northern complimentary return ticket to visit Liverpool. I was wondering whether travel via Wigan or Preston then Wigan would be valid.
No, not mapped routes anyway.
Essentially via Rochdale or Huddersfield to Manchester, then via Warrington Central or Saint Helens to Liverpool, with the option of the route to Liverpool Central if going via Warrington also.
Also via Leeds then Huddersfield is allowed, more obvious if you're using Forster Square I guess.
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
A (Northern) complimentary return ticket doesn't have to be between two places where a fare already exists, surely? You could write Liverpool via Wigan?
My trip from Shipley to Whitby a couple of years ago was definitely not via York :)
 

raveon

Member
Joined
21 Nov 2007
Messages
95
In my experience when using a Northern comp ticket (dozens over the years), you are OK as long as you are travelling in vaguely the right direction :D
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
Hi All,

I am planning on using a Northern complimentary return ticket to visit Liverpool. I was wondering whether travel via Wigan or Preston then Wigan would be valid.

If anyone who understands the routing guide can let me know, I would be most grateful.

Thank you!
I recieved this in 2019:
This will allow you a free return journey anywhere on the Northern Network, so long as you travel only on Northern Trains (you'd have to buy a ticket for any non-Northern elements of the journey, if there are any). These don't have an expiry date, and can be used as either as a same-day or open return ticket (up to 30-days after the outbound journey) so long as the dates are entered on the voucher for the outbound journey.

Please access the following link to download an up to date map of all Northern routes: https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/travel/network-map

By utilising a really good planning website called Fast Journey Planner (http://www.fastjp.com/#new?) you can plan a journey to and from anywhere, and more importantly you can select to either use only or exclude certain rail operators, so if you enter your preferred journey, click on 'Transport Operators', select 'Only use Selected Operators' from the menu and then select 'Northern', when you then hit the 'Search for Trains' button it will only find journeys that include Northern trains, and no other, making it easier to plan a trip and make the most out of your vouchers. This will only plot a single journey, to don't forget to plan your return as well.


What day are you travelling?

Here are some example itineraries:


I don't think the Routeing Guide applies; just apply a bit of common sense and you'll be fine!
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,880
Thanks everyone for your advice.

I'm probably going next Wednesday or Thursday.

I'll go armed with a few printed itineraries, just in case!
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
Really can’t imagine any Northern guard batting an eyelid at you going via Preston.

Just watch out for cancellations. Northern are better on weekdays but not fully reliable just yet.
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,880
Postscript:

I finally got round to making a trip to Liverpool yesterday with a Northern complimentary ticket.

I returned via Preston, using an itinerary I'd obtained from FastJP.

As it turned out, I wasn't gripped Liverpool to Preston or Preston to Bradford.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top