That I agree with.I'm not so sure. When do you think the last RTVs will be issued?
I also see no rush to make Rovers and Rangers available at TVMs or online.
So I wouldn't be surprised to see people being waved past barriers at stations with no ticket office for years to come.
But I wonder how long rangers and rovers have left. Great value for those that use them, but they're not very well advertised or popular so could easily disappear and it wouldn't affect too many people.
Perhaps they'll make them available online. Fairly easy to do so.
I'd have thought rail vouchers will disappear, or at least become very rare within the next 5-8 years. TOCs could easily issue codes to use online instead. I'm surprised many don't now as I see a lot of "promo code" boxes around.
Photocards, railcards, refund applications, tickets with a staff travel discount, season ticket changeovers, tickets from another station... (you have typically not thought this through).
Photocards aren't sold. Maybe these new sellers will simply be able to give them out?
Railcards: Have you not noticed the very recent push to buy online? They're all going digital, and within the next few years, I suspect bigger and bigger pushes to get them online and have digital ones will be ever greater.
Refund Applications: No, but you'd send them off to a customer relations department.
Staff Travel Discount: If nationalisation happens, it'll be free travel everywhere. If it doesn't, many guards don't care anyway and allow staff to travel for free.
Season Ticket Changeovers: Talk to a ticket office person. Ask them when they did this last. It's almost easier to apply for a refund of the original and buy the new one.
Tickets from another station: When people become better at using the machines, they'll start to offer the option to buy tickets from another station. In fact, I'm sure the Virgin ones already do this.
Whether you like it or not, Ticket Offices WILL close. Other methods of retailing tickets that can't easily be bought online will be found.
These can easily be bought online, if the industry chooses to.A monthly season ticket isnt something purchased by a "normal traveller"?
Again, around Birmingham, those paying by direct debit get a discount and the ticket it sent to them in the post.
When you start looking properly, you'll see there are solutions that can be implimented very easily to solve these "problems" you have thought of.
Hold on, so you've moaned it's a problem but you're also fully agreeing that ticket machines could sell rovers or seasons? Decide your point of view. Either it's a problem or not.Yeah very easily. This is done elsewhere and has been for years - although it doesn't seem Northern are interested.Would it be possible to upgrade tvm software so they could sell advance tickets, rovers and seasons?
Last edited: