• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradford Exchange and Forster Square remains

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex397

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2017
Messages
2,036
Location
UK
I visited Bradford a few days ago for the first time. The main aim was to look around the Exchange and Forster Square station sites, to see any remains.

At Exchange, you can see the large wall at the front of the station along the main road. There are also the old stairwell entrances to be seen.
I wanted to have a walk on the pathway that goes up to the top, behind the walls. However, there was a large group of youths with balaclavas on hanging around up there, so I didn’t really fancy my chances on an isolated pathway. My question is - is there anything of interest up there? Any remains, no matter how small, of the old station? I can’t find any pictures of the current situation up there.

Over to Forster Square, you can see a large wall from the station. Off Lower Kirkgate, you can see tiling of the interior walls. There is also the Midland Hotel - at the back of this, it has windows and if I remember correctly some sort of balcony - at the time of the (original) station, was this looking out into the interior of the station? Lastly, how much of the older Forster Square station existed before it‘s early 1990s demolishment and movement to the current location?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,192
Location
Wilmslow
Forster Square lost its overall roof in the early '50s and was replaced by rather utilitarian platform canopies. The side walls remained, however, until the end. Part of the station frontage was demolished in the early '60s to accommodate Forster House - designed by corrupt architect John Poulson - and itself demolished in the '00s. It lost all its main-line services in the '60s becoming mainly a parcels depot, with just one residual platform for Ilkley and Keighley passenger services. So it is good to see its renaissance, but it is a shame it has a tucked away side entrance.

The elegant fan windows at the north end of Exchange station remained for a while after the demolition of the trainshed - the Crown Court is now on the footprint of the station with the elevated retaining walls still in situ.
 

davetheguard

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
1,939
There is also the Midland Hotel - at the back of this, it has windows and if I remember correctly some sort of balcony - at the time of the (original) station, was this looking out into the interior of the station?

Within the Midland Hotel itself, there is a beautifully tiled corridor that originally led from the hotel reception to the railway station. With the station itself moved slightly further north, the corridor now just leads to a car park.

In the corridor there is an ex-Midland Railway sign on the wall, and a couple of railway benches (see photos); I wonder if they were originally at the station?
 

Attachments

  • 151. Passageway from the lobby - it used to connect with the railway station. Now it just goes...JPG
    151. Passageway from the lobby - it used to connect with the railway station. Now it just goes...JPG
    927.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 152. Midland Hotel Bradford tile detail.JPG
    152. Midland Hotel Bradford tile detail.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • 153. Sign in passageway at Midland Hotel Bradford.JPG
    153. Sign in passageway at Midland Hotel Bradford.JPG
    872.7 KB · Views: 60

alex397

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2017
Messages
2,036
Location
UK
Within the Midland Hotel itself, there is a beautifully tiled corridor that originally led from the hotel reception to the railway station. With the station itself moved slightly further north, the corridor now just leads to a car park.

In the corridor there is an ex-Midland Railway sign on the wall, and a couple of railway benches (see photos); I wonder if they were originally at the station?
Thanks for the photos! I saw this corridor in a YouTube video of someone who explores what’s left of the Bradford stations. I wish I knew before I went myself, as I would have taken a peak! It seems extraordinary to me that this has survived as well as beautifully preserved, especially in Bradford when so much history has gone.
It seems there is concern that the new owner of the hotel may not maintain it, but I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to ruin it, or close it off.

In a way it seems a shame the original station couldn’t not have been restored in the 1990s rather than demolished - it’s an odd little station for a city and little room for any expansion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top