• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR Train Crew Manuals / working instructions 33056 + C37 and C73 notches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2018
Messages
35
Hello

Happy to be corrected but I so far understand that there is a BR publication numbers 33056 which is Train Crew Manuals or Working Instructions which, it seems, contains sections for all rolling stock.

I'm completing some research into the Class 37 and 73 and wondered if anyone had copies of the relevant 33056 sections that they would be willing to lend me for copying (I appreciate that's a tall order to ask) or instead copy/scan for me (happy to pay for this and your time) relating to the Class 37 and 73?

I not sure how much detail or length these documents go into but I'm primarily interested in understanding more about how the power lever is setup and the system to signal to the engine the lever position etc in both these types. I believe that was all via air pressure signals to the engine governor.

In parallel and if anyone has information on this too that would be great to hear from you, I believe the early Class 37s had a non-notched power lever whereas later ones received a mechanism on the power lever that cause it to have distinct notches. The engine setput, air signals etc were the same for all types, it's just this change of having a mechanism on the lever to make it have distinct steps.

Does anyone know the locomotive number from which this change in the power lever setup was from? I suppose it would be as a reference to the Dxxxx number rather than 37xxx.

For a Class 37 with notches, how many are there?

Similar questions for the Class 73 in diesel mode. Does it have a continuous movement power lever or notches? If notches, how many?

Does anyone have any information on the engine power per notch for these two locomotives too?

thanks all!

Casper
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,331
Location
Glasgow
Hello

Happy to be corrected but I so far understand that there is a BR publication numbers 33056 which is Train Crew Manuals or Working Instructions which, it seems, contains sections for all rolling stock.

I'm completing some research into the Class 37 and 73 and wondered if anyone had copies of the relevant 33056 sections that they would be willing to lend me for copying (I appreciate that's a tall order to ask) or instead copy/scan for me (happy to pay for this and your time) relating to the Class 37 and 73?

I not sure how much detail or length these documents go into but I'm primarily interested in understanding more about how the power lever is setup and the system to signal to the engine the lever position etc in both these types. I believe that was all via air pressure signals to the engine governor.

In parallel and if anyone has information on this too that would be great to hear from you, I believe the early Class 37s had a non-notched power lever whereas later ones received a mechanism on the power lever that cause it to have distinct notches. The engine setput, air signals etc were the same for all types, it's just this change of having a mechanism on the lever to make it have distinct steps.

Does anyone know the locomotive number from which this change in the power lever setup was from? I suppose it would be as a reference to the Dxxxx number rather than 37xxx.

For a Class 37 with notches, how many are there?

Similar questions for the Class 73 in diesel mode. Does it have a continuous movement power lever or notches? If notches, how many?

Does anyone have any information on the engine power per notch for these two locomotives too?

thanks all!

Casper

Not aware of any 37s with notched controllers, as far as I knew they are all Off, a 'detente' to mark an intial power setting where the engine revs remain at idle but the motors are connected in, then fully variable up to full power.

For a 73, IIRC they have 10 power notches on the diesel controller, in increments of 10%.
 

big all

On Moderation
Joined
23 Sep 2018
Messages
876
Location
redhill
in reality any blue star engine is fully compatible so the only 3 positions that serve any purpose and will be the same is off --on motor contactors close engine on idle --full power

you never normally drive a diesel on notches as power is not notch related
you will tend to drive to conditions increasing and decreasing power in your own way without any though as its automatic
 

leezer3

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2006
Messages
124
Location
Cornwall/ Norwich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top