• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR Mystex Origins and Destinations (Trivia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleetwood Boy

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2017
Messages
244
Presumably the favoured day and traction varied geographically to some extent. I travelled on two from Glasgow Central on two Summer Saturdays on different years. Both ended up in Southport, both were Class 40 worked with Mk1 coaches I think. (mid-1960s).
All the ones I did from Blackpool were on summer Saturdays. And generally class 40s with the Blackpool excursion rake of Mark 1s (I think it was mostly FKs iirc).

Summer Saturdays would have overlapped with traditional dated trains to Blackpool so would have added to the workload of finding crews but it obviously wasn’t a problem.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2020
Messages
1,677
Location
North East Cheshire
Most adexs and mystexs ran on Sundays with standard traction and rolling stock. 47s (mostly) and mk1/2 rolling stock were universal and even freight guards signed them, so route and traction knowledge rarely caused issues
Around Nottingham'/Derby/Leicester and in Scotland the adex's were generally on a Saturday - typically not many freights on a Saturday so traincrews and route knowledge tended to be available when required.

On Mysterys I do recall one on a Saturday from Glasgow Central which went to Rhyl although I did not travel on it.
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,719
I wonder if, rather like the planned whereabouts of the Royal Train in its day, staff holding advance details of timings were discouraged from divulging advance details of Mystery destinations beyond those with a need to know?
 
Last edited:

Western 52

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2020
Messages
1,672
Location
Burry Port
I think I put this in another thread a while ago. In the mid 1980s we joined a Mystex at Cardiff and settled into a compartment which had 2 people who had joined at Swansea. We started trying to guess the destination. We were then told the train had been advertised as a trip to Paignton at Swansea!
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,136
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Most adexs and mystexs ran on Sundays with standard traction and rolling stock. 47s (mostly) and mk1/2 rolling stock were universal and even freight guards signed them, so route and traction knowledge rarely caused issues.
In my experience in the 1970s, most Adex and Mystex trains actually ran on Saturdays....with the exception of trips from the Southern Region to the Great Eastern lines (Clacton, Diss for Bressingham Gardens, Norwich, Yarmouth, Cromer and Kings Lynn) which were usually on Sundays.
 

leighsw2

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2021
Messages
14
Location
Lambeth, Greater London
Pretty sure I went on several Mystex trains out of Cleethorpes, running on Saturdays. The one I remember went to ... Morecambe (kind of pointless you might think to go from east coast seaside resort to west coast seaside resort, but we didn't have a lot to do in the 1970s!) They were always composed of Mk1 coaching stock. Can't remember the motive power, possibly class 40?
 

Helvellyn

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2009
Messages
2,588
I know the Carlisle-Southampton/Bournemouth Mystex I mentioned up thread was an Autumn/Winter trip that used the Mark 1 FKs normally used on the Summer Only Euston-Stirling Motorail. By this time they had been painted in InterCity Executive livery and internally had been fully refurbished with new carpets and moquette in InterCity's then new dusk pink colours.
 

david_g

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2013
Messages
127
Location
Warwickshire
Some from Huddersfield, will have also picked up at some combination of Leeds, Bradford, Halifax & Dewsbury depending on destination:
04/07/71 Skegness
01/08/71 Chester
15/08/71 Southport
26/02/72 Weston super Mare
09/07/72 Llandudno
13/08/72 Great Yarmouth
11/11/72 London KX
12/01/73 Windsor & Eton Riverside
17/03/73 Bath
 

david1212

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2020
Messages
1,756
Location
Midlands
Worcester & Cotswold Line stations to Bournemouth on a Saturday or Sunday.
Unfortunate because my grandmother who lived in Southampton was staying with us .....
 

Lemmy282

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2021
Messages
209
Location
Sheffield
The Merrymaker Excursions from the Sheffield area ran on Saturdays, usually from February to April, then again from late August to early October if I remember rightly. There were a few weekend trips that set off late Friday night returning Sunday lunchtime. I went on one to Penzance, another to Kyle of Lochalsh and one to Mallaig.
 

unslet

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
76
Location
Leeds
Some from Huddersfield, will have also picked up at some combination of Leeds, Bradford, Halifax & Dewsbury depending on destination:
04/07/71 Skegness
01/08/71 Chester
15/08/71 Southport
26/02/72 Weston super Mare
09/07/72 Llandudno
13/08/72 Great Yarmouth
11/11/72 London KX
12/01/73 Windsor & Eton Riverside
17/03/73 Bath
Can add Oxford and Edinburgh to that list, from Leeds anyway.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
One of the factors affecting Mystex and the like was the availability of coaches. On summer Saturdays most areas had all their vehicles out on regular Summer Saturdays trains to resorts, so running a Mystex might well involve bringing in coaches at a cost from elsewhere. In the week it wasn’t so bad, but you still had areas where the coaches were used on peak-hour trains or on things like SAGA specials. Even if there appeared to be loads of coaches around, you couldn’t just set up a trip without checking there were coaches available. The same applied to traincrew: there might be freight depots with spare men on a Saturday, but not on a weekday.
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,719
Wonder if they actually made any money?
Probably not huge money-spinners if all their costs were attributed reasonably sensibly. Perhaps the costs of the really ambitious and lengthy ones were cross-subsidised by the more prosaic and shorter ones to a degree.
 

75A

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2021
Messages
2,056
Location
Ireland (ex Brighton 75A)
In the early to mid 70's we had two or three a year into Bognor Regis, the only loco's I can remember were Midland Class 25's but it was over 50 years ago.
 

ajs

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2018
Messages
164
Remember a mystery trip, late 60sor very early seventies which started at Portsmouth Harbour and then up the Pompey Direct picking up at various stations to Haselmere and possibly Guildford as well . Quite convinced we were going north as we slowly worked around the Notth London line? and then passed Stratford before picking up speed and stopped at Colchester, where there was a fleet of coaches to take passengers on a tour of Constable Country and Flaxford Mill. Thin this must have been on Sunday as shops were closed.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

There was a thread on a similar subject a few years ago that I have not ben able to find. It concerned a mystery excursion that for a variety of reasons ended up in Stockport instead of Southport.

Seems that someone was trying to work out how to apologise to passengers that they had not arrived at their intended destination until it was pointed out that it was a Mystery Excursion so no apology necessary!
 
Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,136
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Remember a mystery trip, late 60sor very early seventies which started at Portsmouth Harbour and then up the Pompey Direct picking up at various stations to Haselmere and possibly Guildford as well . Quite convinced we were going north as we slowly worked around the Notth London line? and then passed Stratford before picking up speed and stopped at Colchester, where there was a fleet of coaches to take passengers on a tour of Constable Country and Flaxford Mill. Thin this must have been on Sunday as shops were closed.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

There was a thread on a similar subject a few years ago that I have not ben able to find. It concerned a mystery excursion that for a variety of reasons ended up in Stockport instead of Southport.

Seems that someone was trying to work out how to apologise to passengers that they had not arrived at their intended destination until it was pointed out that it was a Mystery Excursion so no apology necessary!
Some great pubs in Stockport....plus the hat museum! ;)
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
I don't remember these at all in the period from around 1983 onwards (including several days at Reading and Stafford during August 1984, i.e. high-summer season) but that's not to say they didn't exist. I don't remember any serving the Portsmouth Direct, or Woking, either, to give other examples of places I frequented in the early-mid 80s.

Some of the locations don't seem obvious for a mystery tour but maybe they were in better shape in the 1970s.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,136
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
I don't remember these at all in the period from around 1983 onwards (including several days at Reading and Stafford during August 1984, i.e. high-summer season) but that's not to say they didn't exist. I don't remember any serving the Portsmouth Direct, or Woking, either, to give other examples of places I frequented in the early-mid 80s.

Some of the locations don't seem obvious for a mystery tour but maybe they were in better shape in the 1970s.
Portsmouth Harbour - both via the direct and via Eastleigh - was a popular destination for Mystexes from other regions in the 1970s. Invariably worked by class 47s - which Woking and Eastleigh men signed - they originated mainly from South Wales, the Midlands and East Anglia....which allowed sufficient time in Pompey for a trip over to the Isle of Wight for those passengers who were so inclined.
 

d9009alycidon

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2011
Messages
985
Location
Eaglesham
Quite mind boggling to think of the train crew planning required for all this, combining route and traction knowledge as well as maximum working hours. Wonder if they actually made any money?

The Glasgow Mystex trains were usually out of season utilisation of the stock used for summer dated services, hence the fairly inevitable destinations of Morcambe, Blackpool or York (truncated Scarborough service). The Southport and Chester runs were unusual though.
 

SargeNpton

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2018
Messages
1,749
One from the mid-1970s. I was gricing at Northampton and a Mystex rolled in from Liverpool. I don't know what they were supposed to do to entertain themselves (especially as the pubs shut at 2pm in those days). However, some additional entertainment was provided when the roof of the, still under construction, Carlsberg brewery caught fire, with thick black smoke rising high into the sky.

Early 1980s, when I was in the section that organised Euston Division group travel, the powers that be decided that Grange-Over-Sands was a great destination for a Mystex on the August Bank Holiday. Just that nobody told the businesses in Grange, so there was absolutely nothing to do for passengers when the train arrived there. Many complaints were received afterwards.
 

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,778
Location
Newport, South Wales
I wonder if, rather like the planned whereabouts of the Royal Train in its day, staff holding advance details of timings were discouraged from divulging advance details of Mystery destinations beyond those with a need to know?
I think that you're probably right.

I've mentioned before, though, my experience of being in the Panel Box at Newport and being told by one of the staff there that once upon a time the station announcer had announced that "The next train at Platform Three is the 09.30 Mystery Excursion to XXX" (I can't remember where), thus removing all pretence of surprise about the destination! The upshot of this is that after then, the station announcer wasn't told where the trains were going, thus removing any chance of a repeat.
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,225
Location
Stockport
My first ever Mystery Excursion was to Bristol Temple Meads on 17th April 1971. Starting point was Stalybridge picking up at Guide Bridge, Denton, Reddish South (our boarding/alighting point) Stockport & stations as far Alderley Edge. The train then travelled via Crewe, Shrewsbury, Hereford and utilised the Maindee curve at Newport for a direct run to our destination. Traction was a class 47 throughout, number 1966 wearing two tone green livery with full yellow ends - my child ticket cost just 75p!
 

AJP62

Member
Joined
20 Nov 2009
Messages
160
Location
Macclesfield
For Mystex I'll pop a list below. If it started at Carlisle it also picked up at Penrith, Oxenholme and Lancaster. If it started at Lancaster it picked up at Oxenholme, Penrith and Carlisle.

  • Lancaster - Oban
  • Lancaster - Gourock (via G&SW)
  • Carlisle - Cardiff (out via Marches, return via Central Wales)
  • Carlisle - Torquay / Paignton
  • Carlisle - Southampton / Bournemouth
  • Carlisle - Portsmouth & Southsea / Portsmouth Harbour
  • Carlisle - Canterbury East / Dover Priory
  • Carlisle - Southend Central
  • Carlisle - Nottingham
I did a few of the Carlisle originating ones in the late 70s including the last two on the list.

Others I remember were -
  • Cambridge - off WCML at Nuneaton
  • Oxford
  • Bristol/Weston-super-mare - D1023 from New St!
  • Cardiff/Barry Island - Marches both ways
  • Brighton
On one occasion we failed to stop to pick up at Penrith coming to a halt near the scene of the recent bridge works at Clifton. Being early on a Saturday morning the WCML was pretty quiet in those days so we propelled back to Penrith!

A set often used was a mix of CKs and BSKs so if you knew your seat layouts you could ensure you got a 1st class compartment when booking.

Always electric hauled from Carlisle so where you changed traction gave you a clue to the options for the destination.
 

Helvellyn

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2009
Messages
2,588
I did a few of the Carlisle originating ones in the late 70s including the last two on the list.

Others I remember were -
  • Cambridge - off WCML at Nuneaton
  • Oxford
  • Bristol/Weston-super-mare - D1023 from New St!
  • Cardiff/Barry Island - Marches both ways
  • Brighton
On one occasion we failed to stop to pick up at Penrith coming to a halt near the scene of the recent bridge works at Clifton. Being early on a Saturday morning the WCML was pretty quiet in those days so we propelled back to Penrith!

A set often used was a mix of CKs and BSKs so if you knew your seat layouts you could ensure you got a 1st class compartment when booking.

Always electric hauled from Carlisle so where you changed traction gave you a clue to the options for the destination.
Mitre Junction was usually favoured for a traction changeover if heading to the Southern. Certainly was for the Portsmouth and Canterbury/Dover trips I mentioned but unsure for the Southampton/Bournemouth one.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Six Bells Junction has a few of the Carlisle originating ones, including a few not called out yet:
 
Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,225
Location
Stockport
Mitre Junction was usually favoured for a traction changeover if heading to the Southern. Certainly was for the Portsmouth and Canterbury/Dover trips I mentioned but unsure for the Southampton/Bournemouth one.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Southampton & Bournemouth on the Manchester division ones was normally a Birmingham New Street changeover presume it would be similar for a Carlisle originator?
 

pitdiver

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2012
Messages
1,290
Location
Warsop Vale
Ii think I went on a couple but the only one I can remember was St Pancras to Morecambe.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,367
Quite mind boggling to think of the train crew planning required for all this, combining route and traction knowledge as well as maximum working hours. Wonder if they actually made any money?
It was just part of the job in 1976. At Crewe LMR operating HQ there were 4 sets of 4 people for the region re-doing the regular diagrams every week to take account of the engineering work, diversions, diesel-hauling (of electric locos pan-down), footexes, mystexes, charters, strengthened D- or EMUs etc. that were in the STN (4 people for each part of the regions because 1 was doing loco alterations, 1 DMU alterations, 1 doing the "men" and another - I can't remember now, maybe Unit men and loco men were 2 jobs.
I know this was nationalised BR but I doubt senior management would allow these trips to be organised if they wouldn't make some money. There will have been costs worked out in advance - locomotive(s), coaching stock, crew, supplies (maps, leaflets) - and the tickets would have been priced accordingly to cover those, quite likely with a minimum load factor so anything over that would be profit.
I thought it was using stock and locos that would otherwise have been standing idle.
I wonder if, rather like the planned whereabouts of the Royal Train in its day, staff holding advance details of timings were discouraged from divulging advance details of Mystery destinations beyond those with a need to know?
Royal trains were diagrammed on a "need to know" basis by the Service Group heads, the Special notices and books of traincrew workings hand-distributed to named individuals only in HQ and the Control. I don't know what happened "outside."
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Royal trains were diagrammed on a "need to know" basis by the Service Group heads, the Special notices and books of traincrew workings hand-distributed to named individuals only in HQ and the Control. I don't know what happened "outside."

Special Traffic Notices were taken around by a manager to all the relevant signalboxes a few hours in advance, say mid-evening for an overnight working or early in the day for a daylight run. They were numbered, signed for and entry made in the train register; after the train had run they were collected in.

I would think that the same happened with station staff, where only the most important staff would get notice. I presume that for those in direct contact with the occupants, such as drivers, guards and the most visible station staff, there was a bit more notice so that they knew to appear well turned-out and not in their tattiest uniform, unshaven and with breakfast stains on their tie.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top