• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR Jacket Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetro

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2020
Messages
20
Location
Bristol
Hi,
I recently acquired a BR jacket to wear at a railway I volunteer at, and I’d love to know more about it, such as the rough age of it and what roles it would have been used in. I’ve not got it with me at the moment but I’ve found the exact same type on the science museum archive website:
- I’ve also attached a photo of the uniform (from the science museum archive page)

I’m also interested that the double arrow lapels have a green background, is that to say it was a southern?

Thank you
 

Attachments

  • 1BAC4192-3DEA-49CF-A2C2-83A82183CEB0.jpeg
    1BAC4192-3DEA-49CF-A2C2-83A82183CEB0.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 48
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Father Jack

Member
Joined
12 May 2020
Messages
15
Location
Fareham
That's a drivers jacket, last issued iirc, probably around the mid eighties, when BR changed the uniform, the lapel badges used to a pale blue colour, but I suspect after getting on for 40 years the colour has degraded to a greeny colour.
I've still got my last issue up in the loft.
 

McMetro

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2020
Messages
20
Location
Bristol
That's a drivers jacket, last issued iirc, probably around the mid eighties, when BR changed the uniform, the lapel badges used to a pale blue colour, but I suspect after getting on for 40 years the colour has degraded to a greeny colour.
I've still got my last issue up in the loft.
Thanks for your reply. So the jacket was issued from around the 60s to 80s, nice!
The lapel badges are an interesting one, all the photos of uniforms I find with the same lapels appear in the same minty green colour, however I can see how it used to be a pale blue, I suppose the colour on all the uniforms degraded similarly after a few decades.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,024
Location
Up the creek
The new style uniform was, I think, introduced in 1964, although it is possible that it was not issued to drivers, or at least some of them, until steam was dead (or nearly so) a few years later. It may have been altered a bit later (late 1980s?).
 

McMetro

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2020
Messages
20
Location
Bristol
On further looking, you can clearly see the original pale blue on the sides of the lapels opposed to the degraded greeny front @Father Jack mentioned.
Thanks
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8985.jpg
    IMG_8985.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 13

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,655
Location
The West Country
The 1964 issue IIRC had metal stars on the collar and not the plastic arrows shown. Footplate crews used to moan about them catching their skin.
 

McMetro

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2020
Messages
20
Location
Bristol
The 1964 issue IIRC had metal stars on the collar and not the plastic arrows shown. Footplate crews used to moan about them catching their skin.
Ah ok, so I suppose I’m looking at a date at least a few years later from then. Thanks
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,655
Location
The West Country
There's a book called Badges,Buttons and Uniforms by Froggatt which could give you a more information. It's long out of print,collectable and expensive. I remember there's a section on BR uniforms with pictures of drivers in various styles .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top