tumbledown
Member
Hello all,
What were the Preston-Southport services in the BR era, 1960s-70s after the coastal route closed?
What were the Preston-Southport services in the BR era, 1960s-70s after the coastal route closed?
In other words, there weren't any.Any prospective passengers were directed via Wigan NW/Wallgate.
Were there no passenger services over it in the 60s?The North Curve was taken out of use and severed in July 1969.
The only service shown in the 1965 summer timetable (on timetableworld.com) is 0858 Colne to Southport, non-stop from Mill Hill, returning in the evening (with a stop at Bamber Br). I don't know how long it lasted, but the PSUL archive on the Branch Line Society shows nothing for 1966.Wikipedia says of Burscough
Were there no passenger services over it in the 60s?
Looking at the 1958 public timetable, I would surmise that the 9.10am SO to Glasgow and possibly the 1.5pm SO to Saltburn (and the returns) were routed that way, but no others.Liverpool & Manchester Railway Atlas (Brown, Crecy, 2021) says there were no regular passenger services over the Burscough Bridge Junction-Burscough North Junction Curve, which I interpret as meaning ever. It marks it as closed 16.06.1969, which agrees with Hurst, which marks it as severed on that day.
Remember, until September 1964 there was the line via Longton Bridge to carry any through traffic. After that BR had no money or energy to invest in starting up a new service to replace one that had been withdrawn.
The Saturday train from Southport to Glasgow was a portion of a train from Liverpool Exchange to Glasgow. It turned the other way at Burscough Bridge, southwards to the Junction, where it was presumably shunted onto the back of the train from Liverpool. The summer Saturday train from Liverpool was shown to stop at Burscough Junction, but not Preston.Looking at the 1958 public timetable, I would surmise that the 9.10am SO to Glasgow and possibly the 1.5pm SO to Saltburn (and the returns) were routed that way, but no others.
As you say, the Longton Br route was used by most trains going further than Preston.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that - presumably southbound as well.The Saturday train from Southport to Glasgow was a portion of a train from Liverpool Exchange to Glasgow. It turned the other way at Burscough Bridge, southwards to the Junction, where it was presumably shunted onto the back of the train from Liverpool. The summer Saturday train from Liverpool was shown to stop at Burscough Junction, but not Preston.
I long thought that the arrangements at Burscough were a wasted opportunity by BR times. If the electric service from Liverpool had been extended one stop to Burscough, and round the south curve to a single bay at Bridge station, while the Preston shuttle was likewise cut back to the north curve and into a bay formed on the opposite side, all sorts of useful local connections could be made, not least Preston to Southport..
Seeing as Burscough comes up in the forum so frequently, I recently thought I would try the walk from Junction to Bridge station.
It certainly is a bit of an ask for normal travelling members of the public. I tried to assist a lady who had this "connection" on their travel itinerary and assumed the stations would be at least within sight of one another!
It came from Lancashire County CouncilThe problem has always been that Lancashire County Council has no real interest in funding public transport other than as few bus services as it can get away with, and it has long been such, though I don't know where the funding for the budget station renovations (the standard red picket fencing etc) that happened in the 1990s on the Blackpool South/Colne/Ormskirk diesel lines came from.