Tell me why you're so special you should get Xmas off and every other person who does work shouldn't?
Who said anything about being special? Its called contract of employment.
Tell me why you're so special you should get Xmas off and every other person who does work shouldn't?
Well the railway workers seem to think they're special and that they "deserve" a day off, even though plenty of other people have to work.Who said anything about being special? Its called contract of employment.
Well the railway workers seem to think they're special and that they "deserve" a day off, even though plenty of other people have to work.
Contracts of employment get re-negotiated all the time. Personally I think it's more than a little bit odd that in the 21st Century the contract of a person working in an area like public transport precludes working on certain days.
Do you think those staff would work if it was flat rate? If you think they are working it purely for the "benefit of the customers" I think your slightly deluded.
And I thought the trains were running for the benefit of the customer,
And I thought the trains were running for the benefit of the customer, Oh silly me, however I don't care what the rate is, they are driving trains on boxing day to shift pax
On a side note, my contract states I have boxing day off but it doesn't stop them putting me on a 6am boxing day flight (airport by 4am) unpaid to work on the 27th. It can be worse for you lot.
Out of interest, when was the last time general services ran on Boxing Day outside of Glasgow?
Well the railway workers seem to think they're special and that they "deserve" a day off, even though plenty of other people have to work.
Contracts of employment get re-negotiated all the time. Personally I think it's more than a little bit odd that in the 21st Century the contract of a person working in an area like public transport precludes working on certain days.
Just retired from 39 years in the Power Industry working almost every Christmas. That felt bad.
Now just spent first full Christmas at home with the family.
That was worse :cry::cry::cry:
Give me Christmas working anyday........
We have this arguement every year on this forum........and its really starting to get boring.
Someone mentioned why Southern are running on the Brighton Main Line. That could be because people have volunteered to work and if they want to then good luck to them. I think that many people who deem themselves the moral experts on railway matters concider the lack of Boxing Day services down to staff when in fact the TOC's could quite easily find volunteers but they choose no to because the huge amount of engineering work and large cost renders the exercise pointless.[.QUOTE]
Again I agree. The TOC's are not required to run services on Boxing Day, so they won't unless it is clearly not going to cost them money and planned engineering works allow it.
So, in practice we get what we have today, A couple of the most popular and presumably profitable lines get a service, and as soon as a member of staff says how nice it is to have the day off, it is all the fault of the workforce and the unions, rather than economic realities.
I actually worked on Boxing Day three years ago when a service was running and it was a completely pointless and expensive exercise on one of the busiest lines in the country that was literally carrying fresh air around.
I feel that this would be the case in most of the country today.
Whether people like it or not they need to remember the railways are now a private industry and if there was money to be made they would have done this years ago.
When I signed my contract it said there would be NO Xmas Day/Boxing Day working now I actually do have a family life and these are the ONLY 2 days of the year I can guarantee I will have off in advance, for the 1st time in 10 years I won't be working New Years Eve/Day either so this time I can enjoy myself, why people want to destroy every tradition in this country baffles me,
I agree about some routes not being profitable, however I do feel that some operators are not willing to test the waters so to speak.
I am sure there would be demand say between Oxford & London paddington perhaps using some of the class 166's or the class 180's rather than an 8 carriage HST unless of course it become obvious that a hst will be needed because of high demand.
I be very surprised if there wasnt any demand for a service between Cardiff Central & Bath via Bristol Temple Meads this could be an hourly shuttle running between 08:00 and 20:00
I hate to spoil these myths that nothing runs on boxing day because drivers don't want to but there are a huge number if train drivers at work today. I saw a volunteer list at one depot on my TOC for a handful of late afternoon and night shifts today and there were more than quadruple the number of names volunteering to work than there were jobs to cover-and today isn't vastly different in terms or remuneration to any other bank holiday.
And I'm pretty certain from experience that none of the TOCs who run a 'voluntary' service today will have struggled to get drivers. The last time I worked Boxing Day (a few years back) I hardly had any passengers all day and that was a triple Croydon-london stopper.
I worked Boxing Day at Paddington last year and there just wasn't the demand
How much demand is there then? Out of those that use the roads on 25th and 26th how many would actually switch to trains?
In the future, I can see London Overground running at least 4tph from New Cross and New Cross Gate to Dalston Junction (8tph from Surrey Quays to Dalston) over the TfL owned part of the East London line, although this will still require NR signalmen to work.
Presumably because most people think nothing runs so wouldnt have turned up anyway.