Liverpool One was packed and the Merseytravel-funded buses fairly busy. I reckon Merseyrail would have got enough passengers for a Sunday service.
Neil
Liverpool One was packed and the Merseytravel-funded buses fairly busy. I reckon Merseyrail would have got enough passengers for a Sunday service.
Neil
Same old chestnut, why should railway staff work on Christmas/Boxing Days if their contracts don't require them to, if the TOCs want to run a service then they would have to do a deal with the staff that would make it worthwhile to give up the only 2 guaranteed days off each year. A question for those that want to go to the sales etc, what about railway staff that want a couple of days off to be with their families and go to the sales as well, or do railway staff not have the same rights as others who, for instance, may well have anything up to a fortnight off over Christmas/New Year
Those that do work on these particular days are either contracted to or have agreed to, that's up to them, there is no reason whatsoever that railway staff should have to do the same if they don't want to
I think they are cancelled in the same way as when engineering work is taking place.

Would they have got the staff though?
Discussing having a train service over Christmas doesn't exactly equal forcing people to do work they aren't contracted to do. No more than discussing possible new railway lines is the same as wanting to force people out of their homes.
That could well have been an issue, particularly in heavily-unionised and quite traditional Liverpool.
Neil
I really can't see the point in discussing a potential service without taking into account the reasons that would most likely stop it from ever getting off the ground
Mate I wasn't having a dig about your pay, honestly. I was just saying I get more leave, you get more pay. Honestly you really have got a chip on your shoulder By the way I can drive a car legally and fail the work test.
You are looking for stuff to be offended by. I should know, I am an expert. Ha ha.
Does anyone happen to know when services generally ran on boxing day in the UK? I'm sure I read somewhere that it was in the late 50s, but can't be sure. Pretty sure it was pre-80s? Any ideas?
Does he have a chip on his shoulder as well?
Earlier you stated that anyone who doesnt work on these 2 days has a chip on their shoulder!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So what happens when you dont get enough volunteers to run your intended service?[/QUOTE]
Dunno
What I do know is that back in the late 70s when we put on a limited Boxing Day service there were enough staff and more than enough customers!
(This was WCML incidentally - Liverpool/Manchester to Euston via West Midlands)
Well there is no point in discussing most of the new Merseyrail stations being discussed over on another thread then because there are multiple reasons the outer loop, the airport etc. will never happen in the next few decades but I was told I was being negative. You should join in.
I am 'offended' by the same old cr+p getting posted each and every year!
As I posted earlier (which nobody has responded too), if the Government or TOCs thought a service would pay (or was socially necessary) then they would put one on, the fact they dont want the service means that they dont think its worth it.
Oh when would the big engineering jobs take place if we lose this 2 day total shutdown?
What would happen if the trains were provided on Boxing Day for a few years but then one year NR wanted to close the lines to replace a bridge? Would people expect replacement buses etc or would they accept no trains that year? What happens to the staff that normally work?

Dunno
What I do know is that back in the late 70s when we put on a limited Boxing Day service there were enough staff and more than enough customers!
(This was WCML incidentally - Liverpool/Manchester to Euston via West Midlands)
Well Network Rail certainly needed the on call staff today to sort out electrical supply problems in the Streatham Common area. I'm not convinced Southern called in RRBs, but the trains could all bypass the issue running via Crystal Palace. Thankfully they did arrange a shuttle between East Croydon and Selhurst so the majority of the footie fans could still get to and from the game.
Glad for the staff it isn't happening tonight because it is covered in snow.![]()
Saw that on the forecast, shame its a day late for the kids!
We just got lots of rain.
Saw that on the forecast, shame its a day late for the kids!
We just got lots of rain.
I should join it what, discussing unobtainable dreams ?