OK, so from that I'm guess that for many rail tunnels, it's a case of the tunnels not being waterproof because they are so old, and a newly built tunnel, built with modern materials, wouldn't have the same problem of needing to continually pump water. Yes?
But that begs another question in my mind... Why does the hydrostatic pressure get so high? I can see that if a particular water channel was blocked and there was nowhere else for the water to go, then pressure would quickly build up. But I would have naively imagined (admittedly without any knowledge of underground geology so I could be wrong) that the water is flowing through porous rocks and that the tunnel would occupy a very small fraction of the total volume available for the water to flow in - and therefore the water could easily find other places to go, so there would be no pressure build-up. Your and other posts indicate there is actually very high pressure, which implies there is something wrong with my reasoning, but what? Is the pressure just naturally very high because the tunnels go very deep below the water table, or is it something else?