• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bordesley railway station proposed closure

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,466
Location
Somerset
This would explain why several hundred people bought a ticket from Bordesley to New Street
That’s presumably just a statistical “divvy u” of “Birmingham Stns” that doesn’t twig that it doesn’t actually work for stations on that line.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
The closure notice mentioned that the stations is used by about 1400 per match which given Birmingham City's home attendence last season was around 26,283 it meant that around 11% of fans at the ground were using the station to get to the football. I can't imagine there are many who use Bordesley for other reasons.

Interestingly, passenger numbers were much lower when Birmingham City were in the Premiership/Premier League than they are now.
 

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
Having been in Birmingham last weekend, I noticed a lot of flats going up near the station. Ideal for using the train... :smile:
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,330
The closure notice mentioned that the stations is used by about 1400 per match which given Birmingham City's home attendence last season was around 26,283 it meant that around 11% of fans at the ground were using the station to get to the football.
About 5% surely?
Having been in Birmingham last weekend, I noticed a lot of flats going up near the station. Ideal for using the train... :smile:
But not if the platforms have to go to make way for railway infrastructure...

In this case, it's not that a station is being closed because not very many people use it right now: it's because the space is occupies is needed for something else.
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,640
Location
Northampton
The closure notice mentioned that the stations is used by about 1400 per match which given Birmingham City's home attendence last season was around 26,283 it meant that around 11% of fans at the ground were using the station to get to the football. I can't imagine there are many who use Bordesley for other reasons.
Is that 1400 people using the station, or 1400 entries and exits (I.e. about 700 fans using the station, or maybe 1000 assuming some are making 1-way journeys).
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
Having been in Birmingham last weekend, I noticed a lot of flats going up near the station. Ideal for using the train... :smile:

That was actually mentioned in the closure proposals.

It should be noted that the potential impact of the Smith’s Garden complex and other future development proposals on travel demand in this area has also been considered. However, as highlighted elsewhere, the area is on a high frequency bus route to Birmingham city centre and will also benefit from the extension of the West Midlands Metro tram line to Digbeth and the proposed Birmingham Sports Quarter. In this context, the additional residential properties provided by Smith’s Garden and any future proposed developments in the Digbeth area are highly unlikely to justify provision of a regular train service at Bordesley station.

About 5% surely?
But not if the platforms have to go to make way for railway infrastructure...

In this case, it's not that a station is being closed because not very many people use it right now: it's because the space is occupies is needed for something else.
Is that 1400 people using the station, or 1400 entries and exits (I.e. about 700 fans using the station, or maybe 1000 assuming some are making 1-way journeys).

I don't know to be honest, the text in the proposed closure document says this

Prior to the 2024/25 football season up to 500 supporters used Bordesley station each match day which the station generally coped with. This represented less than 2% of the BCFC’s St Andrew’s stadium capacity. Following an increase in BCFC attendance for the 2024/25 season, usage of Bordesley station briefly increased to around 1400 supporters for Autumn 2024.

Given there is 23 home Championship matches in a season and let's say 1 cup match that would be 24 matches. 24x1400=33600 which is more than the 29,000 passengers per year who used Bordesley. Official usage data also says there were 1430 entries and exits made on season tickets which can't be right as who would by a railway season ticket there given at most there will likely only be 3 home games there in a month.

Mind you given it's not got the name of the stadium in the station name like Bestcot Stadium (Walsall) or The Hawthorns (West Bron) do and given there is no advertising on the platform like Witton and Aston stations have for Aston Villa the 29,000 figure for Bordsley is acually quite good given it's some distance from St Andrews and has a lack of services. I doubt most Blues fans attending home games even know the station exists.


Here is a link to the closure document

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Earlier this week I was thinking what if the new stadium isn't built, how would that affect the closure plans? A big part of the closure plans is that the new stadium will be built making Bordesley station redundant but if the new ground isn't built then surely that would affect plans to close the station?

Let's not forget the first City of Birmingham Stadium plans, Stanley Park (Liverpool), The Kirkby Project (Everton), the Clifton project (Nottingham Forst) and many more have not been built despite plans to do so.
 
Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,640
Location
Northampton
Earlier this week I was thinking what if the new stadium isn't built, how would that affect the closure plans? A big part of the closure plans is that the new stadium will be built making Bordesley station redundant but if the new ground isn't built then surely that would affect plans to close the station?

Let's not forget the first City of Birmingham Stadium plans, Stanley Park (Liverpool), The Kirkby Project (Everton), the Clifton project (Nottingham Forst) and many more have not been built despite plans to do so.
The primary reason the station is being closed is to facilitate the Midlands Rail Hub project. If the stadium doesn't go ahead, it doesn't change the balance for Bordesley closure too much.

At 1 mile from the city, transit should be at a higher frequency than a mixed-traffic mainline can reasonably provide. Providing Bordesley with a much better suited solution (a tram) and then enabling the mainline railway to focus on the traffic from further out is, IMHO, a win-win for all concerned.
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
The primary reason the station is being closed is to facilitate the Midlands Rail Hub project. If the stadium doesn't go ahead, it doesn't change the balance for Bordesley closure too much.

At 1 mile from the city, transit should be at a higher frequency than a mixed-traffic mainline can reasonably provide. Providing Bordesley with a much better suited solution (a tram) and then enabling the mainline railway to focus on the traffic from further out is, IMHO, a win-win for all concerned.

I wouldn't be so sure, given the relatively high usage stats for a station that is proposed with closure, the fact that the stadium move is a key part of the closure plans, the redevelopment in the area and other things it will be difficult to justify closure without a direct replacement.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
I wouldn't be so sure, given the relatively high usage stats for a station that is proposed with closure, the fact that the stadium move is a key part of the closure plans, the redevelopment in the area and other things it will be difficult to justify closure without a direct replacement.
Th redevelopment of Digbeth was part of the Big City Plan which launched in 2010. The chords were also mentioned in this. The stadium for BCFC was not.

The vast majority of the Big City Plan has been accomplished, and I see no genuine reason why the Digbeth section will not be complete by the planned 2030 completion date. Usage stats are within what is expected for the station, so the bigger picture of the city wide (and Midlands wide) plans will clearly win out.
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,640
Location
Northampton
I wouldn't be so sure, given the relatively high usage stats for a station that is proposed with closure,
1400 football fans 25 times a year?
the fact that the stadium move is a key part of the closure plans,
It isn't, major rail infrastructure is a key part of the closure plans
the redevelopment in the area and other things it will be difficult to justify closure without a direct replacement.
The tram is a better replacement than a new heavy rail station, given the constraints on what service could reasonably be provided at a mainline station.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,466
Location
Somerset
I wouldn't be so sure, given the relatively high usage stats for a station that is proposed with closure, the fact that the stadium move is a key part of the closure plans, the redevelopment in the area and other things it will be difficult to justify closure without a direct replacement.
Those (not very) high user stats are almost entirely driven by occasional travel to St Andrews (ie on average once a fortnight in the football season). They alone are high enough to justify alternative provision - but not to block the project or require millions to be spent on a relocated station.
 

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,728
I wouldn't be so sure, given the relatively high usage stats for a station that is proposed with closure, the fact that the stadium move is a key part of the closure plans, the redevelopment in the area and other things it will be difficult to justify closure without a direct replacement.
The new stadium is going to be closer to Adderley Park than Bordesley anyway. I would expect the club to look at what can be done there.
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
1400 football fans 25 times a year?

It isn't, major rail infrastructure is a key part of the closure plans

The tram is a better replacement than a new heavy rail station, given the constraints on what service could reasonably be provided at a mainline station.
Those (not very) high user stats are almost entirely driven by occasional travel to St Andrews (ie on average once a fortnight in the football season). They alone are high enough to justify alternative provision - but not to block the project or require millions to be spent on a relocated station.

29,000 entries and exits per year is relatively high for a station proposed with closure. I know it's all football fans but it's still a relatively high number for a station proposed with closure. Norton Bridge station had 4,793 in the final full year before services were suspended. Etruria had 6,566, both these are much less than Bordesley gets. There are plenty of stations which get less than Bordesley gets which aren't proposed with closure (although probably should be), which again the ORR will have to take into account.

I am not saying don't close the station but I am just curious if any of this could mean the ORR rejected the closure of the station. I personally would not rule out the ORR rejecting the closure plans.

The new stadium is going to be closer to Adderley Park than Bordesley anyway. I would expect the club to look at what can be done there.

The main thing is if the stadium is built. Quite a few proposed stadiums have been cancelled so I would not rule out this one being cancelled. If it were to be cancellled then the ORR would have to take that into account when deciding if Bordesley can be closed.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,330
29,000 entries and exits per year is relatively high for a station proposed with closure. I know it's all football fans but it's still a relatively high number for a station proposed with closure. Norton Bridge station had 4,793 in the final full year before services were suspended. Etruria had 6,566, both these are much less than Bordesley gets. There are plenty of stations which get less than Bordesley gets which aren't proposed with closure (although probably should be), which again the ORR will have to take into account.

I am not saying don't close the station but I am just curious if any of this could mean the ORR rejected the closure of the station.
Given that there is an important operational reason why the space currently occupied by the station should be released for other railway purposes (i.e constructing chords), I do not think that the fact that its used is greater than some stations which are not proposed for closure will prevent its closure.
I personally would not rule out the ORR rejecting the closure plans.
I think we will have to agree to disagree.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,466
Location
Somerset
29,000 entries and exits per year is relatively high for a station proposed with closure. I know it's all football fans but it's still a relatively high number for a station proposed with closure. Norton Bridge station had 4,793 in the final full year before services were suspended. Etruria had 6,566, both these are much less than Bordesley gets. There are plenty of stations which get less than Bordesley gets which aren't proposed with closure (although probably should be), which again the ORR will have to take into account.

I am not saying don't close the station but I am just curious if any of this could mean the ORR rejected the closure of the station. I personally would not rule out the ORR rejecting the closure plans.



The main thing is if the stadium is built. Quite a few proposed stadiums have been cancelled so I would not rule out this one being cancelled. If it were to be cancellled then the ORR would have to take that into account when deciding if Bordesley can be closed.
It would be fairly high for a station proposed for closure through lack of use - but that’s not why it’s closing. The nearest analogy I can think of is Waterloo International.
 

Palmerston

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2024
Messages
230
Location
Hampshire
I personally would not rule out the ORR rejecting the closure plans.
If closure is needed for Midlands Rail Hub, which promises something like 300 additional trains a day into or out of Birmingham, cancelling this for the on-average 80 people a day that use Bordesley would seem bizarre. I suspect the ORR would have given someone a nudge anyway if they were likely to refuse its closure.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,466
Location
Somerset
If closure is needed for Midlands Rail Hub, which promises something like 300 additional trains a day into or out of Birmingham, cancelling this for the on-average 80 people a day that use Bordesley would seem bizarre. I suspect the ORR would have given someone a nudge anyway if they were likely to refuse its closure.
Especially as it would be very difficult to claim closure of a station that only sees a decent service when there’s a match on would cause genuine “hardship”. Minor inconvenience, maybe….
I suspect the walk from most football grounds to the nearest station would make the walk to Small Heath or Adderley Park seem short.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,369
Polesworth has no car park. Its a brave assumption that its only users are going to walk up the entire village to get on a train, especially when they could be nigh on in Tamworth in the same time.
It has a very small car park, I've parked in it.

I think there was about 4 spaces though so little use if the station was to gain a proper service!
 

Cross City

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2020
Messages
936
Location
Birmingham
The main thing is if the stadium is built. Quite a few proposed stadiums have been cancelled so I would not rule out this one being cancelled. If it were to be cancellled then the ORR would have to take that into account when deciding if Bordesley can be closed.

It's going to be built, the club now own more land than Man City do at their Etihad Campus.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
29,000 entries and exits per year is relatively high for a station proposed with closure. I know it's all football fans but it's still a relatively high number for a station proposed with closure. Norton Bridge station had 4,793 in the final full year before services were suspended. Etruria had 6,566, both these are much less than Bordesley gets. There are plenty of stations which get less than Bordesley gets which aren't proposed with closure (although probably should be), which again the ORR will have to take into account.

I am not saying don't close the station but I am just curious if any of this could mean the ORR rejected the closure of the station. I personally would not rule out the ORR rejecting the closure plans.



The main thing is if the stadium is built. Quite a few proposed stadiums have been cancelled so I would not rule out this one being cancelled. If it were to be cancellled then the ORR would have to take that into account when deciding if Bordesley can be closed.
As I mentioned above. These plans predate BCFC being taken over and plans for a new stadium being produced.

Both Digbeth's redevelopment, the Bordesley Chords and Midlands Rail Hub are far more important and wide reaching than the proposal for a new football stadium.

If anything, the proposed new location for BCFC is because of the additional transport links being provided. So the club would actively want this closure to happen, so the other transport infrastructure improvements happen towards their sports city complex proposal.
 

Cross City

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2020
Messages
936
Location
Birmingham
If anything, the proposed new location for BCFC is because of the additional transport links being provided. So the club would actively want this closure to happen, so the other transport infrastructure improvements happen towards their sports city complex proposal.

Correct. The stadium plans didn't get announced till the day after the Chancellor allocated funding to the Midlands Metro extension and MRH.
 

spp

Member
Joined
8 Dec 2024
Messages
137
Location
wolverhampton
When I was at The Den as an away fan with Blues 18 months ago we were kept in the ground for 1 hour after the game then frog marched in a maze like fashion 2 miles to Canada Water station.

The Met, in their infinite wisdom, were then seemingly confused as to why the crowd go slightly annoyed by this. One of their officers pepper sprayed a smallchild and I very nearly missed by train home that I had scheduled for 3 hours after FT.

My complaint is yet to be replied to.
Wasn’t there issues with south Bermondsey being closed or reduced trains that day? Seem to remember my Blues mate saying such.

They have a specifically built walk way straight from the away end to South Bermondsey keeping fans apart. Always been this way Ive gone Whens going there with Wolves.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Are most the fans using Bordesley Blues fans or away fans?

I know with Watford Stadium Halt the main purpose was not so much for home fans but rather for away fans as in those days Watford had a bad reputation for hooliganism meaning it made sense to take the away fans directly to the stadium by train rather than they go into Watford Town Center to get to Watford Junction and thus mixing with the Hornets fans and potentially causing and risking trouble.

Looking at the timetable I note Chiltern services also stop at the station when the Blues are playing at home, this is in addition to the West Midlands Trains services and the weekly Saturday only parlimentary train. Given three of the Championship clubs are in the London area (QPR, Milwall and Charlton) it would make sense for Chiltern trains to stop at Bordesley in order to transport away fans up from London.
Blues fans, very few if any away fans do or would use Bordsley nothing there (no pubs accepting away fans etc). Most away fans will go into the city centre it’s a 20min walk which in reality is nothing for football grounds to train stations. Plenty are of longer distance and dont have/need a specifically built walk station.

I’ve been going to Blues as an away fan for 25 years and Ive never considered Bordsley nor has anyone Ive ever known. New Street is fine!
 
Last edited:

centraltrains

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2015
Messages
521
Location
West Midlands
I left it a bit late to get my response in to the consultation... 23:32, deadline 23:59 :lol:

Don't think the consultation will have any effect but as already implied in my earlier post I am not a fan of the Midlands Rail Hub, it's mainly about increasing medium-distance services, to my subjective analysis at the cost of suburban/urban services - I feel more needs to be done generally suburban/urban flows... Birmingham roads.... :lol:
 

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Joined
21 Jun 2013
Messages
2,277
Having been in Birmingham last weekend, I noticed a lot of flats going up near the station. Ideal for using the train... :smile:
But not if the platforms have to go to make way for railway infrastructure...

In this case, it's not that a station is being closed because not very many people use it right now: it's because the space is occupies is needed for something else.

In the consultation I've suggested keeping the station but relocate it to the recently reopened line (the one via Pineapple Road) as it would create new links especialy between New Street and Moor Street.
 

BeijingDave

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2019
Messages
804
In the consultation I've suggested keeping the station but relocate it to the recently reopened line (the one via Pineapple Road) as it would create new links especialy between New Street and Moor Street.
Considering bus links to the city centre I think it's reasonable to close it.

One of those cases where almost nobody will be taking a train that goes every 30 or 60 minutes over a frequent bus.
 

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,728
In the consultation I've suggested keeping the station but relocate it to the recently reopened line (the one via Pineapple Road) as it would create new links especialy between New Street and Moor Street.
You would have to move it south of the new chord to be able to use Moor St, probably a good 600m from where it is now to Highgate.
 

Sprinter107

Member
Joined
26 Mar 2019
Messages
1,098
In the consultation I've suggested keeping the station but relocate it to the recently reopened line (the one via Pineapple Road) as it would create new links especialy between New Street and Moor Street.
How will it create links between New Street and Moor Street ? The long term plan is to send the Camp Hill locals into Moor Street.
Do you know the area ? Because even if the Camp Hill locals were kept to the New Street route, its far quicker to catch a bus than it takes the train to reach New Street from there. There are at least 30 buses an hour from that area taking minutes to get into the City Centre. There will soon be a tram. They are not going to spend money providing a new station that no body will use.
 

Top