• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Booking tickets for France

Status
Not open for further replies.

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
I'm planning a trip to Carcassonne in October - looking at the best way to book the tickets - Which website/agency do you recommend for booking tickets for travel to France?

The journey planner at http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ seems to be much more flexible than the RailEurope one which I find often does not list the trains/connections I want.

Is it best to book everything there or book the Eurostar tickets separately via the ES website?
Also, is it better to book the outward & return legs separately as singles (as the booking dates for each will open at different times) or is it cheaper to do it as a return?

What is the service like at the TrainsEurope desk at St Pancras?

Many thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1E05

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2010
Messages
99
If I were you I would book with SNCF or Rail Europe...both are a little more expensive than some French sites but their customer service teams speak English better than other providers.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
The journey planner at http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ seems to be much more flexible than the RailEurope one which I find often does not list the trains/connections I want.

Is it best to book everything there or book the Eurostar tickets separately via the ES website?
Also, is it better to book the outward & return legs separately as singles (as the booking dates for each will open at different times) or is it cheaper to do it as a return?

The advice on www.seat61.com. is pretty thorough in general.

The ES fare is always slightly cheaper (?£8) as a return than 2 singles, but the French fare (assuming you book Prems advance tickets) won't be. And you might opt for different routes out and back, which might be easier as 2 singles (certainly if one is via Paris, and the other via Lille).

If it's anywhere near French or British autumn school holidays, or a weekend, it's the same as here - don't hang around, book asap.
 

Oscar

Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
11 Feb 2010
Messages
1,152
Location
Switzerland
If I were you I would book with SNCF or Rail Europe...both are a little more expensive than some French sites but their customer service teams speak English better than other providers.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean. SNCF tickets can be bought on the internet from various external agencies, a handful of which are mentioned below.
Fares in euros:
- Voyages SNCF which is an external agency
- Capitaine Train
Fares are in pounds which are typically around 5% more expensive than buying in euros:
- Raileurope
- Loco2
You can't book directly through SNCF online. The fares in euros/pounds are the same at any site.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top