• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Booking Caledonian Sleeper and Night Riviera for two people sharing - practicalities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,930
Location
Gwynedd
I love the sleeper services, and take them for work, however I've only ever travelled solo on them, and I have a couple of probably very simple questions (hopefully this is the right forum?)
  1. Do you receive one e-ticket per journey, or one e-ticket per person per journey?
  2. If you receive one e-ticket per journey rather than per person, can the same ticket be scanned multiple times? What I'm imagining here is two passengers for the same cabin arrive at different times and want to board separately.
  3. When you book, it asks for the lead passenger details, regardless of whether it's solo or multiple passengers - presumably this lead passenger is the only person who can amend the booking, even if the other passenger had the booking ref, journey details, etc?
  4. When you book for two people sharing a cabin, do you get one or two key cards for the room?
I have a feeling I know (some of) the answers to these and that they won't be the answers that I want but wanted to check from anyone with experience!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,796
Location
SW London
I love the sleeper services, and take them for work, however I've only ever travelled solo on them, and I have a couple of probably very simple questions (hopefully this is the right forum?)
  1. Do you receive one e-ticket per journey, or one e-ticket per person per journey?
  2. If you receive one e-ticket per journey rather than per person, can the same ticket be scanned multiple times? What I'm imagining here is two passengers for the same cabin arrive at different times and want to board separately.
  3. When you book, it asks for the lead passenger details, regardless of whether it's solo or multiple passengers - presumably this lead passenger is the only person who can amend the booking, even if the other passenger had the booking ref, journey details, etc?
  4. When you book for two people sharing a cabin, do you get one or two key cards for the room?
I have a feeling I know (some of) the answers to these and that they won't be the answers that I want but wanted to check from anyone with experience!
I've just checked my tickets:
1. One ticket per cabin
2. Don't know
3. I would expect so, but if you're amending over the phone (which is the easiest way) it should be possible. Note that you would have to have the card details for which the original booking was made, as you would for any change to a hotel or train booking.
4. We were issued with just one, but I can't envisage many situations where that would be a major problem. The door can be unlocked from the inside without a card, so you don't need to take it if you go to the loo or club car alone.

I've always found the people on the end of the phone very helpful, so it may be worth asking them.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,930
Location
Gwynedd
I've just checked my tickets:
1. One ticket per cabin
2. Don't know
3. I would expect so, but if you're amending over the phone (which is the easiest way) it should be possible. Note that you would have to have the card details for which the original booking was made, as you would for any change to a hotel or train booking.
4. We were issued with just one, but I can't envisage many situations where that would be a major problem. The door can be unlocked from the inside without a card, so you don't need to take it if you go to the loo or club car alone.

I've always found the people on the end of the phone very helpful, so it may be worth asking them.
Cheers for this!

Yeah I may need to call/email them about the multiple ticket scanning.

I've amended bookings a fair few times myself, but only solo. They've only ever asked me for email address and booking number fwiw.

And aye, I was imagining say two acquaintances bunking up, but then one wants to sleep while the other goes to the club car for a bite to eat or to do some work. I travel with hiking pals fairly often, but not on the sleeper before. I tend to work quite late at night, but would feel bad either knocking to wake someone up so I can get back in, or taking the key card then them being unable to go for a pee without getting locked out (or having to come to the club car in their PJs to get the card back from me). Not a huge issue, and no doubt the staff would be used to people forgetting their cards when they head out for a pee, so could let you back in on production of your ticket anyway!
 

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,796
Location
SW London
. I tend to work quite late at night, but would feel bad either knocking to wake someone up so I can get back in, or taking the key card then them being unable to go for a pee without getting locked out (or having to come to the club car in their PJs to get the card back from me).
If you have to leave the room to go for a pee, you're not in a Club compartment, so your bunkmate may not be allowed to use the Club Car unless it's quiet.
But if that situation arose I would probably just leave the door unlocked while I went to the loo.

On the mark 3s the steward had to let you in every time unless you left the door unlocked when you went out.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,930
Location
Gwynedd
If you have to leave the room to go for a pee, you're not in a Club compartment, so your bunkmate may not be allowed to use the Club Car unless it's quiet.
But if that situation arose I would probably just leave the door unlocked while I went to the loo.

On the mark 3s the steward had to let you in every time unless you left the door unlocked when you went out.
Good point on that example!

That said, I've used the club car with a classic room ticket a fair few times and never had an issue. Not sure I've ever seen the club car especially busy. I suspect this is because the boarding times are mostly around 8:30pm or later, and departures from 9:15pm or later, so most people have eaten by then. By interesting to know how much trade they get for dinner/supper in the club car. Breakfast is a different story of course. If you head there after midnight you're lucky to see any other passenger wanting a sit down meal. Last few times I've worked at say 2am I've been given unlimited free coffee by the staff.
 

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,796
Location
SW London
I've been in the club car when it was busy enough for the staff to insist if we didn't want a meal we had to use the bar stools rather than the proper seats, but relented after my fellow traveller pointed out that 1) she was too short to reach them 2) she was on crutches.

On the riviera sleeper I have seen passengers for the seated area blunder their way into the lounge car at Penzance and have to be shooed out again. It was a busy night as the flights from Scilly had been cancelled because of fog and, by the time the boat docks, the Sleeper is the only remaining departure for anywhere east of Exeter. (Unlike the Caledonian, the seated accomodation on the Night Riviera does not require reservation and can be used by walk-up passengers - indeed you can have a berth if one is available).
 

Bill57p9

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2019
Messages
893
Location
Ayrshire
Obviously the answers may (almost certainly will) between CS and Night Riviera.
Does the Night Riviera still have twin berths at all?
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,850
Location
Epsom
Does the Night Riviera still have twin berths at all?
Yes, every cabin is a bunk bed cabin and those wishing to travel together can book the same cabin when they make their reservations.

There is no sharing with strangers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top