• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Booked wrong train and fined, although I have learning difficulties

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastanglia

New Member
Joined
20 Feb 2025
Messages
2
Location
Cambrdige
Good afternoon all,

I was supposed to purchase a Cambridge to London Kings Cross ticket, but I accidently purchased a London Liverpool Street ticket. As a result, for having the wrong ticket, I was fined. I do however have learning difficulties which caused this mis calculation. When there is lots of information within a small screen (phone screen), I get things mixed up when reading, thus caused to by the wrong train ticket on the train line app.

The only from of evidence I have is extra time in exams, which I was granted in school. This is normally granted to those facing learning difficulties, and was marked my an assessor.

Can I have my train fine cancelled?

My fine has also jumped from £80 to £130? As I had appealed, the letter said I have two weeks to pay the £80, only then it goes up?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JordR

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2014
Messages
234
Location
Leeds
Hi! I think the first thing that would be useful for the experienced members of this forum to know would be exactly what happened.

Although you might have been asked to pay some money, you can't have been fined as that is something that only a court can do. You might have been given a penalty fare, an unpaid fare notice or written to by a train operating company investigating you.

Please post any document you have, with your personal details and any reference numbers hidden, and that will put people in a better position to help you out. :smile:
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,532
Location
LBK
We do need the date of the incident to be able to help, as well as a copy of the Penalty Fare (with your name and details removed). However, if you have already gone past the 21 days, you are out of time to make an appeal and should pay the Penalty Fare without delay.
 

Pushpit

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2023
Messages
607
Location
UK
My fine has also jumped from £80 to £130? As I had appealed, the letter said I have two weeks to pay the £80, only then it goes up?
Thanks for joining up with us here. Yes, it's really good if you can give us more information, so you get the very best advice.

But the jump you have mentioned here may have a good explanation: if you saw this jump from £80 to £130 via an online screen, it may simply be that the appeal system is handled by another organisation and they haven't yet updated everything. If you did appeal immediately, then yes the penalty fare stays at £50, and I guess there is a £30 fare too. The £50 will stay like that until you have gone through all appeal stages.

The first appeal often fails but it would be good to see what you said here. Ticketing is very complex, and so I hope they can make allowances for you here.
 

GadgetMan

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2012
Messages
980
Good afternoon all,

I was supposed to purchase a Cambridge to London Kings Cross ticket, but I accidently purchased a London Liverpool Street ticket. As a result, for having the wrong ticket, I was fined.
So just to clarify, did you buy a;

a) Cambridge to London Liverpool Street ticket or,

B) London Liverpool Street to London King's Cross ticket?
 

MarlowDonkey

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,873
So just to clarify, did you buy a;

a) Cambridge to London Liverpool Street ticket or,

Cambridge to London tickets are usually worded "London Terminals", so valid to either Kings Cross or Liverpool Street. There is howver a cheaper ticket only valid on Greater Anglia services, so that's a proxy for a Liverpool Street only ticket.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Good afternoon all,

I was supposed to purchase a Cambridge to London Kings Cross ticket, but I accidently purchased a London Liverpool Street ticket. As a result, for having the wrong ticket, I was fined. I do however have learning difficulties which caused this mis calculation. When there is lots of information within a small screen (phone screen), I get things mixed up when reading, thus caused to by the wrong train ticket on the train line app.

The only from of evidence I have is extra time in exams, which I was granted in school. This is normally granted to those facing learning difficulties, and was marked my an assessor.

Can I have my train fine cancelled?

My fine has also jumped from £80 to £130? As I had appealed, the letter said I have two weeks to pay the £80, only then it goes up?
Welcome to the forum!

It sounds as though you were issued with a Penalty Fare. Can you upload a copy of it in this thread but do cover up any personal details and the case reference number.

While we cannot guarantee it, learning difficulties could be a reason for getting a penalty fare cancelled. Do you have anything from a medical expert that backs this up? You mention being given extra time in exams as school - how long ago was this? Again, do you have a letter or some other document that shows this.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,532
Location
LBK
This notice was issued in October and you are now being chased for the debt. You have no method of appeal, this having expired after 21 days from the date you were given the Penalty Fare. You should pay the sum without delay.
 

JordR

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2014
Messages
234
Location
Leeds
Noting particularly that they claim they will add further fees on Sunday. That gives you two days to pay online.

As said above, unfortunately the circumstances no longer matter as you've waited too long. You've also cost yourself 50 quid more than needed by missing the prompt payment discount.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,904
As others have stated, this needs to be paid immediately to avoid the price going up further.

October would of course have been a better time to come to us and ask for advice but I understand it’s not always people’s primary focus.

You may wish to write to the operator who issued this to complain about complexities in booking tickets as a separate issue who (whilst unlikely) may engage with you about it but this will not change the charges you have here.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Having now seen the documentation, I agree with forum members above who have said that the sun requested should be paid without delay to prevent the matter from escalating.

You were able to appeal this but an appeal would need to be lodged within 21-days and you are now out of time to do so.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top