• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Booked Uber due to SWR disruption: do SWR pay out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivorytoast28

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2018
Messages
256
Location
Sheffield
Hi,

I currently have an evening out single from Woking to Guildford I bought ~30 mins ago from the SWR app. At the time it wouldn't let me have an itinerary of the first two scheduled services so I had to pick the 21:55. This and the 22:13 are also showing as cancelled and their twitter openly admits delays are likely until the end of service.

They do mention you can take the railair between Woking, Worplesdon (how I do not know lol) and Guildford. But they also mention taxis immediately below on https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service-disruptions/woking-20240522/

Normally, I'd happily take the railair option but it's getting late and it's another 50 minute walk in the rain from Guildford station.

If I book an Uber from Woking station to an address in Guildford/Worplesdon area will they definitely refund this? While it isn't a crazy amount, it's definitely not money I'm willing to just throw away to avoid a walk in the rain unless I'm definitely getting it back.

Do they normally pay out? It just feels suspicious that they would on what is a £2.70 ticket I bought once the disruption had started.

Or does it have to be station to station?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gaelan

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2023
Messages
1,012
Location
Edinburgh
Don't get a taxi without asking - you'd need to ask them and get permission to book a taxi. They might also book a taxi for you, or insist you take railair.
 

ivorytoast28

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2018
Messages
256
Location
Sheffield
Don't get a taxi without asking - you'd need to ask them and get permission to book a taxi. They might also book a taxi for you, or insist you take railair.
Thanks for the advice. Though if that is the rule then I find this on nationalrail somewhat misleading:

Passengers are able to arrange their own taxis in order to complete their journey between Woking, Worplesdon and Guildford and claim this back from our Customer Services Team.
 

Gaelan

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2023
Messages
1,012
Location
Edinburgh
Thanks for the advice. Though if that is the rule then I find this on nationalrail somewhat misleading:
Ah, I hadn't read that page (sorry!) - there's the permission you'd need, though my reading is that it's only valid between the stations themselves. If you want more than that, I'd advise asking first.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,403
Could someone not just get the 34 bus if worried about the likelihood of whether a taxi will be paid for?
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,813
Location
UK
The wording on NRE (repeated elsewhere) is clear enough in entitling you to claim back your reasonable costs for a taxi between those stations.
 

ivorytoast28

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2018
Messages
256
Location
Sheffield
Could someone not just get the 34 bus if worried about the likelihood of whether a taxi will be paid for?
Perhaps, still not very useful for Worplesdon unfortunately. But yes it is a slightly better option. If only the 28 didn't finish at a pathetic 5pm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top