• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BLS The Wirral Squirrel- TNT Class 40's 3/10/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,727
Location
West Riding
I can understand operational issues, but the dry train bit seems bizarre. What’s going on with that?

Although to be fair, I wasn’t sure if this tour would go ahead with all the fuel issues, so perhaps a dumbed-down version is better than a cancelled tour.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

1633080328762.png
 
Last edited:

nedchester

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
2,093
I can understand operational issues, but the dry train bit seems bizarre. What’s going on with that?

Although to be fair, I wasn’t sure if this tour would go ahead with all the fuel issues, so perhaps a dumbed-down version is better than a cancelled tour.
I think LSL have joined the Temperance movement and I suppose the truncated tour will allow participants to go to Chapel seeing as it's a Sunday..........!
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,727
Location
West Riding
I think LSL have joined the Temperance movement and I suppose the truncated tour will allow participants to go to Chapel seeing as it's a Sunday..........!
Have any other Railtours run dry? I’ve never known one!
 

nedchester

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
2,093
I can understand operational issues, but the dry train bit seems bizarre. What’s going on with that?

Although to be fair, I wasn’t sure if this tour would go ahead with all the fuel issues, so perhaps a dumbed-down version is better than a cancelled tour.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

View attachment 103330
40145 is available for traffic as stated by CFPS Chairman John Stephens so someone is lying.

What's all the nonsense about face coverings as well?
 

John Luxton

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
2,041
Location
Liverpool
Not a happy bunny when I received my ticket last night. Couldn't care less about motive power.

But a significant chunk of the itinerary amounting to around 2hrs.

Disappointed about the no real ale but that is not too important but puzzled by it.

BUT the face mask rule is unreasonable. I have been wandering round the West Country on the train the other week for several days and barely any of the train crew let alone passengers are wearing them.

Been sold a pup I am afraid.

A discount for the significantly reduced itinerary would be appropriate at least

As someone who has enjoyed several BLS trips I am exceeding disappointed.

Would not have booked.

I wasn't going to throw my penny worth in but as someone has started the ball rolling.

John
 
Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,727
Location
West Riding
Not a happy bunny when I received my ticket last night. Couldn't care less about motive power.

But a significant chunk of the itinerary amounting to around 2hrs.

Disappointed about the no real ale but that is not too important but puzzled by it.

BUT the face mask rule is unreasonable. I have been wandering round the West Country on the train the other week for several days and barely any of the train crew let alone passengers are wearing them.

Been sold a pup I am afraid.

A discount for the significantly reduced itinerary would be appropriate at least

As someone who has enjoyed several BLS trips I am exceeding disappointed.

Would not have booked.

I wasn't going to throw my penny worth in but as someone has started the ball rolling.

John
I'm disappointed too. However, I've had 40145 on the mainline recently and the 40 that will run is a winner. Reasonable chance of the 47 being a winner. It seems rather expensive for what is being served up, but I'm not giving up hope just yet; on the last BLS tour I did where there was an element of disappointment, WCRC made up for it by including a bonus unadvertised 37 as a token gesture. I'm sure the BLS team are equally disappointed and trying to do something behind the scenes to sort something out.

I'm losing faith in LSL though, hopefully BLS are too.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
BUT the face mask rule is unreasonable. I have been wandering round the West Country on the train the other week for several days and barely any of the train crew let alone passengers are wearing them.
If it's anything like a few other tours I've been on recently with similar requirements I think you'll find no-one cares on the day. Seems like it's more of a box ticking exercise (perhaps for insurance reasons) than something anyone enforces rigidly.
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,305
Location
South West London
I went on one of the Summer Syphons, and they only asked face masks to be worn when moving around the train. Has BLS changed their mind with this tour?
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,727
Location
West Riding
I went on one of the Summer Syphons, and they only asked face masks to be worn when moving around the train. Has BLS changed their mind with this tour?
I think it may be a condition of using LSL stock rather than a BLS requirement
 

John Luxton

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
2,041
Location
Liverpool
I think it may be a condition of using LSL stock rather than a BLS requirement
The wording on the tickets says on stations as well ... this nothing to do with rolling stock. I didn't book a trip post July 19th to face the Covid Stasi. Requirements should have been clearly stated at time of booking not two days before. I am not trying to be awkward but I expect English National Rail rules to be followed.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,727
Location
West Riding
The wording on the tickets says on stations as well ... this nothing to do with rolling stock. I didn't book a trip post July 19th to face the Covid Stasi. Requirements should have been clearly stated at time of booking not two days before. I am not trying to be awkward but I expect English National Rail rules to be followed.
I really wouldn’t worry, I’ve been on a number of tours and Covid enforcement has been non-existant.
 

LA50041

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2017
Messages
3,198
I went on one of the Summer Syphons, and they only asked face masks to be worn when moving around the train. Has BLS changed their mind with this tour?
According to the E-Ticket that is still the case that masks are not required whilst seated - or have I missed something?
 

FOCTOC

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2018
Messages
200
If they don't have a driver and / or there isn't a path, 40145 has to stay at Bury. Not exactly 'games'.
There's a thing called VSTP. That sorts a path PDQ. However, a driver is more difficult, not that you need a 40 driver as they could tow it using a traction unit they did sign. I asked if someone was playing games - the question hence stands.
 

nedchester

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
2,093
If they don't have a driver and / or there isn't a path, 40145 has to stay at Bury. Not exactly 'games'.
But shockingly they can find a driver for Monday to bring 40145 back to Crewe.

LSL need to come clean here. The reason is that their Generator van has failed (for CET and CDL) so they've had to use a Class 47. Basically, LSL are not providing what the BLS asked for. This should be in no way acceptable to the BLS (or anyone hiring a train)
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,727
Location
West Riding
But shockingly they can find a driver for Monday to bring 40145 back to Crewe.

LSL need to come clean here. The reason is that their Generator van has failed (for CET and CDL) so they've had to use a Class 47. Basically, LSL are not providing what the BLS asked for. This should be in no way acceptable to the BLS (or anyone hiring a train)
Is that confirmed fact or mere speculation?
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,878
LSL need to come clean here. The reason is that their Generator van has failed (for CET and CDL) so they've had to use a Class 47. Basically, LSL are not providing what the BLS asked for. This should be in no way acceptable to the BLS (or anyone hiring a train)
Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why a generator van needs CET? And are any of LSL's Mark 1s fitted with CDL?
 

nedchester

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
2,093
Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why a generator van needs CET? And are any of LSL's Mark 1s fitted with CDL?
The LSL sets have electronic door locks including the Mk 1s and the train has CET, you need ETH for that.
 

youngiecj

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2012
Messages
416
I managed to get a refund so kudos to the branchline society, they've always been pretty good in the past a shame things haven't worked out. I need a break from charters though, far too many recently aren't doing what is advertised and £159 is a lot of money.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
I managed to get a refund so kudos to the branchline society, they've always been pretty good in the past a shame things haven't worked out. I need a break from charters though, far too many recently aren't doing what is advertised and £159 is a lot of money.

Yes I think fair play to the BLS.
As a caveat you’re of course fully entitled to the refund, but this must have been very difficult for them and it looks like they’ve put a huge amount of work in to this before having the rug pulled from under their feet.
I’d still rather book onto one of their tours than some of the others on the market though.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,938
Location
Mold, Clwyd
BUT the face mask rule is unreasonable. I have been wandering round the West Country on the train the other week for several days and barely any of the train crew let alone passengers are wearing them.
Welsh rules will in any case apply Chester-Wrexham-Dee Marsh, with mandatory masks.
 

John Luxton

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
2,041
Location
Liverpool
Welsh rules will in any case apply Chester-Wrexham-Dee Marsh, with mandatory masks.
During that stage everyone is remaining on train - so unless Drakeford's gestapo wish to beam on board - who is to know?

I have done several long trips on a narrow gauge train in Wales in open stock sans mask along with other unmasked people.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I managed to get a refund so kudos to the branchline society, they've always been pretty good in the past a shame things haven't worked out. I need a break from charters though, far too many recently aren't doing what is advertised and £159 is a lot of money.
Interesting

When did you request it? On receipt of the e-ticket?

As their rules state cancellations must be made within 5 days I and perhaps others might have presumed too late by the time the ticket came through on Thursday evening.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,389
When did you request it? On receipt of the e-ticket?

As their rules state cancellations must be made within 5 days I and perhaps others might have presumed too late by the time the ticket came through on Thursday evening.
It can be inferred that in the light of the change to the itinerary and details of the tour some relaxation of this policy has been applied.
 

nedchester

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
2,093
Welsh rules will in any case apply Chester-Wrexham-Dee Marsh, with mandatory masks.
I doubt the BTP will be raiding the train at Hawarden Bridge...........

On the 50s to Stranraer a few weeks back mask wearing was about 5% throughout the journey (both sides of the border)
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,305
Location
South West London
I doubt the BTP will be raiding the train at Hawarden Bridge...........

On the 50s to Stranraer a few weeks back mask wearing was about 5% throughout the journey (both sides of the border)

Yeah I can’t remember any announcements past Carlisle on the Summer Syphon to Falkirk Grahamston.
 

youngiecj

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2012
Messages
416
During that stage everyone is remaining on train - so unless Drakeford's gestapo wish to beam on board - who is to know?

I have done several long trips on a narrow gauge train in Wales in open stock sans mask along with other unmasked people.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Interesting

When did you request it? On receipt of the e-ticket?

As their rules state cancellations must be made within 5 days I and perhaps others might have presumed too late by the time the ticket came through on Thursday evening.
It was requested Friday morning after the locos and the track was changed etc. It just didn't represent value for money me and no interest sadly.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,727
Location
West Riding
It was requested Friday morning after the locos and the track was changed etc. It just didn't represent value for money me and no interest sadly.
That’s good of them to do you a refund on that basis.

I hesitated and left it too late to realistically ask for a refund so I’m going ahead with it anyway, it still has some worth for me, but I’ll be avoiding anything to do with LSL in the future.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

8CB97FF8-7F93-4689-88D2-4E97ACA153B5.jpeg

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

7D1799D3-F13F-4480-8A0E-74A066D04C6F.jpeg
 
Last edited:

DeRobeck

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2012
Messages
24
Location
Chester
Passing Bache on the Rock Ferry - Chester leg
 

Attachments

  • squirel 1.JPG
    squirel 1.JPG
    810.9 KB · Views: 53
  • squirrel 2.JPG
    squirrel 2.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 54
  • squirrel 3.JPG
    squirrel 3.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top